Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/02/2012, 07:37 PM   #1
RG21
Registered Member

new 20gal extra high/show project

hello everyone-

Been a while since I've had the opportunity to have a tank, a year actually, but it feels good to be back at it. Due to my rental agreement, I was unable to set up the 75g or the 180g I have in storage, so this will have to do for now.

I have set up a 20g extra tall. While the footprint is kind of restrictive, I really like the look of taller tanks. Here's some specs:

-20g extra tall tank
-glass-holes overflow
-hard plumbed to a 20g long sump & fuge below
-Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Elite controller
-24 x 3w cree LED light fixture
-phosban reactor (currently not turned on, however)
-Bubble Magus NAC 3.5 skimmer
-CFL light over the fuge
-ATO to stabilize salinity
-Current-USA prime 1/10th hp chiller
-Hydor Koriala 1 powerhead
-DIY rock aquascape
-20lbs live sand

Tank Parameters:
Temp: 77.9F (pic is before chiller was set up)
pH: 8.1
dKH: 8-12
Salinity: 1.026
Ammonia: 0.25ppm (tank is cycling now)
Nitrite:untested
Nitrate:untested
Calcium: ~450ppm
Phosphate:untested

So far I am pleased overall with the tank. I am just waiting for this cycle to complete, which will take a while but I think this will make a nice tank. I done everything myself from the sump and overflow, to the stand, to the rocks. It is nice to see a finished and cycling product.

When the time comes I would like to have a mixed reef. I have not decided on any kind of stocking list, for now I am just reading up on what would be appropriate for this tank. What would you put in it? of course I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I've included some pics of the setup (excuse the quality, taken with my iphone). Ignore the small piece of live rock beneath the arch, I'm just seeding with it. Thanks for your input!

-RG21

Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (30.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (45.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (72.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.jpg (67.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg photo 5.jpg (20.1 KB, 20 views)

Current Tank Info: Fully automated 65 SPS plans in the works. Getting ready to stock a NUVO 20gal and a CADlights mini 4gal!
RG21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2012, 01:15 PM   #2
RG21
Registered Member

Anyone have some input?

Current Tank Info: Fully automated 65 SPS plans in the works. Getting ready to stock a NUVO 20gal and a CADlights mini 4gal!
Unread 07/03/2012, 01:53 PM   #3
Darth Wader
Registered Member

Looks pretty good so far. Are you going to add more rock? I almost feel like you could make a large tower of rock and utilize the tall tank size a little more.

Darth Wader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2012, 02:53 PM   #4
RG21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Wader View Post
Looks pretty good so far. Are you going to add more rock? I almost feel like you could make a large tower of rock and utilize the tall tank size a little more.
Thank you, I've certainly thought about it. The reason being is that the current rock structure is permanent in the tank. I wouldn't mind adding more so they could be used to anchor coral rather than them all being on the permanent structure. The only thing i really don't like about the rock walls etc is that when things anchor to them, i have a hell of a time getting them off if i have to move or something. I do like the sort of minimalist look, but at the same time i, like most people, believe that live rock serves a worthy purpose.

im not sure how id safely secure more rock though. There just isnt much of a footprint. Behind the structure there isnt enough room, so itd have to go on top of the current one. I might have to get my hands on some showpiece corals or something to take up the space.

what do you think about a potential stocking list?

Unread 07/03/2012, 06:05 PM   #5
Darth Wader
Registered Member

What are the dimensions of the tank?
As for stocking the tank.... I would maybe go will some goby's or blenny's. Those are good fish for a small tank. Could always go with a pair of clownfish. You could also go with a cardinal fish, they float around allot and would be a nice addition for a tall tank. I currently have 2 clowns a really small anthias, and a pseudo chromis (which is a total terror in my tank, beats up everything and eats everything but has so much personality). Other then that, any of the nano fish can be interesting.

Unread 07/03/2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Darth Wader
Registered Member

As for what I was saying about stacking the rocks, take a look at this tank. Obviously this one is bigger but thats the kind of idea I was talking about.
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/lofi...p/t217792.html

Unread 07/03/2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Darth Wader
Registered Member

How do you like the BM nac3.5 so far? Thats the same skimmer I have and I have found that once its dialed in it works really good.

Unread 07/03/2012, 06:25 PM   #8
RG21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Wader View Post
How do you like the BM nac3.5 so far? Thats the same skimmer I have and I have found that once its dialed in it works really good.

Yeah I was thinking a pair of the more rare clown varieties. They're pretty active and I think having something other than the normal orange with white bar clowns would make a nice addition. I was also thinking of something that is less active in the water column. Would a mandarin fair well in this tank or is it too small? I really like inverts too, the tank can handle a pretty decent bipolar I just want everyone to be comfortable.

Once I got the BM dialed in on my other tank I loved it. I used to run a coralife 125 on this setup when it was running before and I found it to have a very unnecessary layout with the pump and box. I find the reduced height and footprint of the BM a lot better use of space in my sump.

Tags
20g, diy, nano, reef