Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/11/2016, 09:04 AM   #1
jtgrimes
Registered Member

Your office aquarium and setup

Interested in setting up a office aquarium. I work for a design agency and a designer for the creative department. Everyone here loves it when I get in live fish and coral for my home reef. lol.

I have in mind a pico 3-4 gallon tank that I would like to install. But not sure yet. I was wanting to get some inspiration from others and have done some research, but finding a bunch of old post.

Does anyone currently have a pico or just any type of reef system in their personal office? If so show it off! and let me know some pros and cons of having it in the office.

Current Tank Info: 110 Gallon Rimless - https://www.*********.com/threads/jtgrimes-110-gallon.637759/
jtgrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2016, 09:31 AM   #2
d2mini
Registered Member

I'm a designer too! Everyone loves my 25g Lagoon.

I try to keep it pretty basic. There's no controller, just some cheap timers. I did add some dosing pumps for two part.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2016, 09:42 AM   #3
CafeReef
Registered Member

Dennis, your setup is almost cheating

I have a simple 7 gallon Mr. Aqua Aquaclear 20 filter setup as a fuge with a Bubblemagus QQ1 HOB skimmer

Unread 03/11/2016, 09:54 AM   #4
toothybugs
In Memoriam

I have a standard 15 bare-bottom on my desk growing a bunch of softies and LPS, with a Magus Curve 5 in the 20gal sump (holds another 15 gallons of water). It's lit with an A160We with a single RW4 I had laying around providing a little pulsation. 4 fish; 2 clowns, a royal gramma (which I want to remove), and a tailspot blenny. Return is a Syncra 1.5 and puts out enough heat I don't really need the Jager 75W also in the sump.

Pics later, I need to polish the glass before the end of the day.

toothybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2016, 10:01 AM   #5
slief
RC Sponsor

Here is mine.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2016, 10:08 AM   #6
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Here is mine.
Such a simple office setup.
Love it, Scott.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2016, 12:40 PM   #7
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Quote:
Here is mine.

Very Nice!!!

GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2016, 12:56 PM   #8
jtgrimes
Registered Member

Wow really nice! Looking for more of what Dennis posted but wow! Looking forward to seeing more!

Current Tank Info: 110 Gallon Rimless - https://www.*********.com/threads/jtgrimes-110-gallon.637759/
Unread 03/11/2016, 12:57 PM   #9
jtgrimes
Registered Member

That is awesome!
Quote:
Here is mine.

Unread 03/11/2016, 01:04 PM   #10
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. My limitations will be the amount of electricity I use. I'd like to keep it to a bubbler and light, but it would just be a invert only with live rock tank. I have considered doing dwarf seahorses because they won't need a heater. I'm concerned that any inverts will need at least 72 degrees and would prefer better than that which might be pushing it around here where temps probably stay closer to 70ish.

lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2016, 01:40 PM   #11
Kentech5
Registered Member

Have you considered a temperate tank? Catalina gobies prefer 60-70 degrees I believe.

Kentech5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2016, 01:40 PM   #12
EDJFA
Registered Member

A couple years ago I was looking to upgrade my 55g to a 125g. When I went in search of rocks, I stumbled across a 210g that quickly replaced the 125g.

We reframed a wall, added the slate, and created a tank viewable from both sides.

This is the view from the outer office

And this is what I get to look at all day

You can see the tank from the highway that runs in front of my office at night when it's dark and my lights are still on.

My clients love it. They always ask if I've added anything new. I also get some people who stop by just to see the tank.

No new clients because of it, but maybe someday.

Unread 03/12/2016, 09:38 AM   #13
toothybugs
In Memoriam

Here we go. My pastime

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-03-12 09.38.02.jpg (67.0 KB, 68 views)
toothybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2016, 10:46 AM   #14
exsequor
Registered Member

I've got a 10 gallon nano at my office right now, but my two home reefs are a lot farther along. Still trying to get to that point where I put as much time into my shop reef as I do my home reefs.

Either way, customers are still magnated towards it, and they're always asking about the different livestock names in the tank, asking what it is and what not.

I've got a 40b brand new, a nice U.V., some nice filtration, a nice brand new jager heater, 50 pounds of rock so far lined up for a custom granite covered 40b reef aquarium we are going to do in our granite counter top show room.

The goal is to wrap the stand and tank in granite, allowing views only from the front of the aquarium, and then building a custom up top access panel, but of course most the hardware will be accessed below in the sump. I just need to get this phone number for this lady in town that can drill my 40b so I don 't have to buy overflows, and I can turn it into a reef ready tank. I've got a customer with a 40, who just gave me around $125 worth of livestock from breaking down his tank who says this lady in town can "pre-drill" any glass aquarium. If that's the case why don't I just drill it, since I've got all the granite bits? I know granite bits are a bit more aggressive then glass bits, but I do know I can cut and drill glass, because I do it, but I've just never done it with an aquarium ahahhaha anyone know more about this? I'm an expert in granite counter tops, not drilling aquariums.

exsequor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2016, 01:20 AM   #15
Land_shark067
Registered Member

Wow these tanks are awesome! Very inspiring!

Land_shark067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2016, 11:39 AM   #16
solidcore
Registered Member

I work at home 75% of the week and my tank is right here

solidcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2016, 12:55 PM   #17
alton
Registered Member

My old Office

My current office

What you do not see is my pair of golden angels who hang in the rocks and the BSJF

alton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nano, office tank, pico, reef tank