Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/16/2008, 01:36 PM   #1
05TurboS2K
Registered Member

Reef safe octopus???

as is i took in a giant octo with no home..... I have him in a sectioned off part of my reef tank, he seems happy but.... until hes large at least ....could he somehow be somewhat reef safe?

are any octo's reef safe?

I love the thing, he's very interested in my hands, I hand feed him and it seems to want to continue to play with me as long as my hands are in the tank.

Why can't coral tanks be more like Turbo -Engines ?
05TurboS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2008, 03:43 PM   #2
Echidna09
Registered Member

It will be fine with corals that don't sting, but will eat most anything else. Some people have tried octos in with other inhabitants, but it is not recommended. Another reason to not put them in a reef is because they do not like bright lights.

Echidna09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2008, 04:50 PM   #3
Animal Mother
Registered Member

Yup.

They make better "pets" when they are the only inhabitant in the tank and they have a completely safe tank to play in. Like Echidna09 said, they don't like bright lighting, like the lighting neccessary for a reef tank, and they have VERY sensitive skin so the close quarters of an aquarium could mean bumping into stingy things, getting injuries, and then infections set in. Fish could very likely either become dinner or harrass the octopus.

I am keeping an Abdopus aculeatus in a reef setup, but only because I've seen and read about others doing it with this species, and it didn't cost me a dime, otherwise I would never have tried it. I still wouldn't try it with any other species of octopus regardless. So far today is the first day I've seen it, and it didn't come completely out of its den. Just stuck its head and a few arms out.

Is there any way you can post a picture or tell us where the octopus was captured so we can try to help determine exactly what species it is?

needs is someone to throw hand grenades at him for
the rest of his life." - Full Metal Jacket

Current Tank Info: 60 gallon cube, w/ 30 gallon sump, octopus-proof lid. Dry for now.
Animal Mother is offline   Reply With Quote