Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/20/2016, 05:31 AM   #26
Wesus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristocrat View Post
Hey Wesus, so your nitrates are now stable and down? Did they come down after adding the matrix? Do u use a filter sock?

Thanks.
I'm using socks on and off, more off.
With Matrix in reactor NO3 seems to be more stable, but went down before I installed reactor, even too much down with daily np pro and pro bio s dosing

Wesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2016, 06:33 PM   #27
GoVols
Registered Member

@aristocrat,
I was running 500ml of Purigen in a Aquamaxx XL BioMaxx (Modded) reactor. The purigen was doing great but was soaking up Reef Energy so much and was turning into a bio media before being fully exhausted. Not saying I wont got back to that setup.

Last Monday I got 6 liters of Matrix.
Un-Modified the reactor and put 4 liters into it with a 30 gal an hour flow rate.
Placed the other 2 liters in high flow area of sump.

Do have enough Matrix knowledge: To you know if the Matrix reactor would hold down nitrates?

Current Tank Info: 2013-RSM S-400 (Merlot) / BB / Mixed Reef / Lighting: Kessil AP700 with S-Series led bar / Bubble King 160 skimmer / GEO 2-Stage Cal Reactor with GLA dual-stage regulator / Teco TK-1000 Chiller & Heater / GFO & Purigen reactor's
GoVols is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2016, 06:38 PM   #28
GoVols
Registered Member

Sorry...

Do YOU have enough Matrix knowledge: To you know if the Matrix reactor would hold down nitrates?

Current Tank Info: 2013-RSM S-400 (Merlot) / BB / Mixed Reef / Lighting: Kessil AP700 with S-Series led bar / Bubble King 160 skimmer / GEO 2-Stage Cal Reactor with GLA dual-stage regulator / Teco TK-1000 Chiller & Heater / GFO & Purigen reactor's
Unread 12/20/2016, 07:09 PM   #29
aristocrat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
Sorry...

Do YOU have enough Matrix knowledge: To you know if the Matrix reactor would hold down nitrates?

Lol no not at all mate. Never even heard of it, not sure if its even available in Australia.

Looks like matrix is made of pumice which is just aerated volcanic rock and has no adsorption properties. So this genuinely sounds like surface area enhancer for bacterial growth.

On the other hand media such as zeolite are made for adsorption so it adsorbs nutrients from water so this might quickly adsorb any vitality or build or energy supplements we may add.

So from literature it looks like it enhances denitrification. Not sure of the results though. Would love to try if available in Aus.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2016, 07:27 PM   #30
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
Lol no not at all mate. Never even heard of it, not sure if its even available in Australia.

Looks like matrix is made of pumice which is just aerated volcanic rock and has no adsorption properties. So this genuinely sounds like surface area enhancer for bacterial growth.

On the other hand media such as zeolite are made for adsorption so it adsorbs nutrients from water so this might quickly adsorb any vitality or build or energy supplements we may add.

So from literature it looks like it enhances denitrification. Not sure of the results though. Would love to try if available in Aus.

Cheers.

Welp, I'm going to find out! lol

Unread 12/20/2016, 07:41 PM   #31
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:

Cheers.

I'm only 8x's over the Seachem's volume per gallon.

If it debunks on nitrates I might be sending you 6 liters "Down Under"!