Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/09/2018, 02:46 PM   #5726
mitchrapp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthu526 View Post
I made a big stupid mistake and killed the small Regal and the majestic. The bigger Regal isn’t doing well either. He went into hiding and stopped eating this morning.
I bought some sponge online and it took three days to get here. After I opened the bags I smelled something weird but I thought it was normal for sponges so I dumped them into the tank anyway. That was last night around 8 and this morning I woke up with two dead angels. The tank water smelled bad and the sponges turned white-ish so I pulled them out and did a 50% water change. After I pulled the sponges out I realized how bad they really smelled. It is a lot like decaying waste ammonia smell. I am going to stick with frozen food from now on. This is a heart breaking lesson for me. Very very sad....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So what killed your fish? An ammonia spike from the sponges? Did you test your water to see what the levels were? How big were the sponges and how large is your tank? What kind of biological filtration do you have in your tank?

mitchrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 02:55 PM   #5727
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
I think you have something with that answer. My regals in my larger tanks always had a Blueface or Imperator angel that was larger and they grew at a very slow rate. That is why I was amazed when the little guy in my office grew so well and had to be re-homed so fast. He went from being so much smaller than the Golden's to larger than them. Plus since I sit next to this tank 5 days a week almost 12 hours a day he was fed 4 to 6 times a day and that might of had something to do with it also.
I think Golden angels are such timid angels. Obviously you feed them a lot too.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 03:14 PM   #5728
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I think Golden angels are such timid angels. Obviously you feed them a lot too.
Well I lost one of two so I moved the second to my home to my QT tank for time being while I decide to either place it in my 180 where I may never see him again or find someone that really wants him? The one I lost was always out and about, this one very seldom left the comfort of the rocks. And my wife may kill me if I set up another tank

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 03:22 PM   #5729
roberthu526
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchrapp View Post
So what killed your fish? An ammonia spike from the sponges? Did you test your water to see what the levels were? How big were the sponges and how large is your tank? What kind of biological filtration do you have in your tank?

I did test the water and it showed a 0.02 ammonia. The tank is a 125G with live rock and fully cycled for months. I am not sure if ammonia was the cause but the water smelled really bad. That’s why I did a big water change and changed the carbon. The sponges I took out of the tank smelled absolutely horrible. It was like a toilet that has not been flushed for a week. Now I am really worried about the bigger Regal that is still alive because he has been hiding a lot today and hasn’t been eating. I just feel like such a fool now...
I am so afraid that I am going to wake up tomorrow seeing more dead fish. I don’t know how much damage has been done to the little lives in the tank.
On a side note the juvenile small goldflake angel is still doing great, eating like a champ but I heard they are hardier than other angels so maybe that’s why.

roberthu526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 03:26 PM   #5730
alton
Registered Member

Robert sorry you lost your angels, years ago I wanted a Rock Beauty Angel and I had heard they need sponges so I ordered one from KP Aquatics before it was KP along with a couple of sponges. The fish ate mysis the second day and never touched the sponges.

Unread 02/10/2018, 03:19 PM   #5731
mandarin417
Registered Member

Here is a better view of the 2 juveniles from LA that I received a few days ago. Seem to like to nibble on everything but never quite sure they are actually swallowing anything. One of the two has decided to start bossing around the other one as of today.

https://youtu.be/koRTY0F7oE4

mandarin417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2018, 03:31 PM   #5732
mandarin417
Registered Member

Are there any special recommended water parameters making regals or any other angels
easier to keep?

Unread 02/10/2018, 03:37 PM   #5733
roberthu526
Registered Member

Just another sad update: the other Regal died this morning. I am going to hold off on another Regal until I have the tank SPS ready. This has been a terrible experience.

Unread 02/10/2018, 03:38 PM   #5734
roberthu526
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarin417 View Post
Are there any special recommended water parameters making regals or any other angels
easier to keep?

Not really. Just clean water and no drastic changes to water condition is all. I basically messed up by trying too hard.

Unread 02/10/2018, 04:05 PM   #5735
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarin417 View Post
Here is a better view of the 2 juveniles from LA that I received a few days ago. Seem to like to nibble on everything but never quite sure they are actually swallowing anything. One of the two has decided to start bossing around the other one as of today.

https://youtu.be/koRTY0F7oE4
Looking great to me. Mine isn’t quite as as aggressive with the eating of the clams yet. Mostly picking at rocks still for the most part.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2018, 04:20 PM   #5736
dohc97
Registered Member

Mine has grown maybe half an inch in a year, still has his eye spot. He is the boss so no stress

Current Tank Info: IM 25 lagoon, diy stand, kessil A360we, mp10 wes qd, apex jr
dohc97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2018, 09:21 PM   #5737
Mike S
Registered Member

Lost a regal that i had for several years a few months ago. Received a medium size Maldives yellow belly from LA yesterday. It arived in good shape and my qt salinity matched the water so i was able to get it into the qt quickly. It has been doing a little head shaking here and there. Not sure if it sees its reflection and is reacting or has flukes. I gave it a eight minute freshwater bath this morning and didn't see anything come off of it. The good news is that it picked at mastic yesterday. Today it was a little more agreasive with the mastic and was picking mysis out of the water column. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 08:13 AM   #5738
alton
Registered Member

My two get along fine but only eat off of the rocks, not from the water column yet. In the past I could catch a few mysid shrimp crawling around my substrate, but have not seen any lately, so I am hoping the youngsters are picking them up as food.

Unread 02/12/2018, 08:58 AM   #5739
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
My two get along fine but only eat off of the rocks, not from the water column yet. In the past I could catch a few mysid shrimp crawling around my substrate, but have not seen any lately, so I am hoping the youngsters are picking them up as food.
That’s where mine is at too. Will pick at clams and rock but won’t quite take anything from the water column. I’ve tried nutramar ova, PE mysis, hikari mysis, flake, and spectrum pellets. I ordered some of the Masstick food to give that a try. Seems alert and healthy though so I’m not really worried.

Unread 02/12/2018, 09:04 AM   #5740
Mike S
Registered Member

Mine went right to the Masstick. Mixed a few pellets in with it Saturday night and yesterday it started eating straight pellets out of the water.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 12:55 PM   #5741
alton
Registered Member

Update on my two, one is very comfortable coming out and eating/pecking on the liverock and rubble. The other one comes out once a day if i am lucky. I have been taking a 1/2" chuck of LRS and placing it in one of my liverock caves so they can pick on it. Last years regals where so much quicker to grab frozen food from the water column.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby regal 2018.jpg (49.1 KB, 50 views)
Unread 02/15/2018, 03:33 PM   #5742
pfan151
Registered Member

My masstick arrived yesterday. I cut open a clam and spread it along the rim of the shell seem to work pretty well. I initially rubbed some onto a rock but it was ignored. Mine is still a bit shy but not too bad as long as i don’t stand right in front of the tank.

Unread 02/15/2018, 06:00 PM   #5743
mandarin417
Registered Member

Knock on wood that everything continues…

It has been 8 days now that I have had the two small juveniles from Live Aquaria in a CP medicated 30-gallon long quarantine tank at a dosage of 50mg/gallon and a hyposalinity of 1.020. I was putting a small neck clam in the tank daily which they picked at along with a very small bicolor angel in the same tank. Not sure how much clam was getting into them but they certainly pulled all the meat out of the shell. I stopped the clams yesterday since they are eating quite well from the water column and off the bottom of the tank.

I put an algae clip in daily with a variety of dried algae colors. In the morning I have been giving them a mix of pellets (Ocean Nutrition Formula One, Hikari Marin S, New Life Spectrum 1mm Marine Fresh Formula and Piscine 1mm PE Pellets). The New Life Spectrum is a big large for them but they pick on it later in the day when it softens up. They love the PE Pellets which are nicely sized for their little mouths.

A bit later in the day, I give them just a tad bit of frozen SF Bay Brand Angel & Butterfly Formula.

In the late afternoon, I put a small amount of thawed SF Brand Frozen Fish Eggs, LRS Reef Frenzy Nano and Hikari Mysis Shrimp in the tank.

With either the first feeding or the late afternoon feeding, I am soaking the food with a small amount of Selcon Boost, Omega oil and Vitamin C.

At the end of the day, I turn off the pumps/ato/external hang on filter and then siphon out the leftover food in the tank through a filter sock in a bucket, return the filtered water to the tank and then do a 1 to 1.5-gallon water change that has CP dosed at the same 50 mg/gallon as in the QT tank. I finish the early evening with a very small amount of Piscine 1mm PE Pellets which they gobble up.

While they are still a bit shy, I do see them getting more used to me and starting to recognize that food usually comes when I show up. They don't seem too concerned when I remove the PVC hiding pipes from the QT when I am siphoning.

Last edited by mandarin417; 02/16/2018 at 08:23 AM.
Unread 02/15/2018, 06:13 PM   #5744
carrots
Registered Member

Mandarin, It looks like they are eating better than they were in the ocean. Continued luck to you.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 12:39 AM   #5745
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

I received my Regal Angel this morning. It seemed very active during acclimation, and I am very excited to see how it goes! I’m confident this guy will be chowing down tomorrow. It’s probably 3”, Indian Ocean juvenile from Among The Reef.

Unread 02/16/2018, 06:53 AM   #5746
Mknuwet
Registered Member

I have had great luck lately getting my last couple to eat. They both ate nori immediately and within a couple days they were taking mysis and plankton no problem

Mknuwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 10:10 AM   #5747
luckyk0505
Registered Member

I currently have two regals in my tank. One is yellow belly and other one is grey belly. I had few more regals in the past. I never had issue with them eating. I think if the specimen is healthy, they are not difficult to get it to eat. I QT them alone and they usually accept frozen mysis within 7 to 14 days. Some will eat aggressive than others. My current yellow belly took 10 days to eat mysis shrimp. He would not eat more than 1 or 2 pieces at a time so I had to feed him multiple times per day. Now he eats like pig and I only feed dry food in my display (pellets and flakes). My grey belly is slightly larger than yellow belly (about 5 inches). It took him about 10 days to eat as well. But he was eating much more aggressively than my yellow belly.

luckyk0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 03:58 PM   #5748
alton
Registered Member

I finally have two Regals eating from the water column, YES! Glad everyone else's Regal's are doing great too. I think it comes down to collection practices. I wish the Red Sea collectors would stop selling the large Regals and leave those for breeders, and import more juveniles which ship better and bring in more profit.

Unread 02/16/2018, 05:07 PM   #5749
mandarin417
Registered Member

I agree Alton. I cringe when I see a large Regal arrive at the fish store since I know that usually means a loss in a short time. The juveniles, so far, seem to be very adaptable.

Unread 02/17/2018, 08:46 AM   #5750
mitchrapp
Registered Member

I got a pretty large yellow belly regal around 5 inches who ate everything from the water column (NLS pellets, mysis, LRS) from day 1.

mitchrapp is offline   Reply With Quote