Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/22/2018, 10:51 AM   #1
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

New Tank cycling results

Been 2 wks into cycling.. have LR LS red sea salt water and rodi water toppoffs.. been dosing everyday of macrobacter 7 for 2 wks as recommeneded..

Don't these results seem odd?

Ammonia 0.50 Nitrite 0 (really?) Nitrate 10 ( really?)

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2018, 11:02 AM   #2
nereefpat
Registered Member

Have you added any type of nitrogen source?

What has been the schedule for that?

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2018, 11:16 AM   #3
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
Have you added any type of nitrogen source?

What has been the schedule for that?
Like what? what would be nitrogen source?

Unread 05/22/2018, 11:47 AM   #4
nereefpat
Registered Member

Cycling a tank refers to the nitrogen cycle.

You have to add fish food,pure ammonia, frozen cocktail shrimp, or some other form of nitrogen to start the cycle.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
Unread 05/22/2018, 12:09 PM   #5
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:

You have to add fish food,pure ammonia, frozen cocktail shrimp, or some other form of nitrogen to start the cycle.
would dr tims one and only be ok for the ammonia? or should I just get fish food?

Unread 05/22/2018, 12:16 PM   #6
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyrawg View Post
would dr tims one and only be ok for the ammonia? or should I just get fish food?
I can just drop a shrimp in there, would 1 be enough?

Unread 05/22/2018, 12:40 PM   #7
tjm9331
Registered Member

one shrimp should be plenty, you just need a something to decay in the tank and as it decays it releases ammonia, you can achieve the same thing by just adding pure ammonia to the tank.

Test daily, once you ammonia spikes (you'll know) then the cycle will begin, the ammonia will be turned to nitrites and those will spike(ammonia should be close to 0) then the nitrites will be converted to nitrates and those will spike (nitrites again should be close to 0 if not 0)

Once your nitrates spike perform a 50% water change and you should be good to go.

tjm9331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2018, 12:50 PM   #8
nereefpat
Registered Member

I'm not sure if the Dr Tim's stuff contains any ammonia.

tjm's plan is a good one.

Unread 05/22/2018, 01:15 PM   #9
MarkW64
Registered Member

Quote:

He doesn't need to add ammonia -- he already has ammonia according to his test results.

Unread 05/22/2018, 02:38 PM   #10
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW64 View Post
He doesn't need to add ammonia -- he already has ammonia according to his test results.
Ya, I did show some ammonia.. I added the shrimp anyway. I have noticed a snail roaming around, I think he is contributing to the slight ammonia present in tank.

Unread 05/23/2018, 07:04 AM   #11
tjm9331
Registered Member

just to be on the safe side, if you've already added the shrimp, leave it in there and let it decay a bit. Test daily and see how it affects your readings, if your ammonia increases then you know you're not cycled yet. If it remains the same and only your nitrates increase then you are most likely cycled.

Just out of curiosity what test kit are you using? I have heard/read that the API test kits can give a false positive of around 0.5ppm ammonia.

tjm9331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 07:13 AM   #12
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW64 View Post
Correct..
No need to add ammonia..
The shrimp is ONLY going to serve to increase nitrates and require more work (more water changes) post cycle to drop them to decent numbers..
Remove the shrimp..

You also started with live rock and when doing so you should expect little to no cycle at all..

If in another week ammonia still shows as .5ppm I'd chalk that up to the very typical false reading and would just move forward with stocking the tank slowly..
I actually think its likely that your cycle is over or there wasn't one at all and that .5 is just a false reading because you started with live rock and have been using mb7...

Unread 05/23/2018, 07:32 AM   #13
nereefpat
Registered Member

Never adding any nitrogen, I don't think you can say that the tank has cycled. I would chalk the nitrates up to the "live" sand if it came from a bag. Live rock has different meanings too. I agree that if it's live rock from a local tank, that has stayed wet, and you use enough of it, then you won't see much of a cycle.

I don't have any experience with the bacteria in a bottle stuff, but I still think the best management practice is to always add nitrogen and test over the course of a couple weeks. That way you can make sure the tank can safely support life.

Unread 05/23/2018, 07:55 AM   #14
MarkW64
Registered Member

Quote:
Never adding any nitrogen, I don't think you can say that the tank has cycled.
As I pointed out in a response to another thread the OP started the day before this one — he may have added nitrogen in the form of die-off from his live rock. Daddyrawg hasn’t told us much about the live rock or sand he used.

Not all tanks “cycle”. IMO it’s unfortunate that it has become common to say that all tanks must cycle. What all tanks “must” have is a sufficient bacterial population. Tanks started with live rock may never show a cycle.

Unfortunately since the OP didn’t do any testing for the first two weeks it’s hard to diagnose what is going on. Test results going forward will likely clarify things...

Unread 05/23/2018, 09:58 AM   #15
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Correct..
No need to add ammonia..
The shrimp is ONLY going to serve to increase nitrates and require more work (more water changes) post cycle to drop them to decent numbers..
Remove the shrimp..

You also started with live rock and when doing so you should expect little to no cycle at all..

If in another week ammonia still shows as .5ppm I'd chalk that up to the very typical false reading and would just move forward with stocking the tank slowly..
I actually think its likely that your cycle is over or there wasn't one at all and that .5 is just a false reading because you started with live rock and have been using mb7...
YA I started with 90lbs of LR and 80 lbs of LS although seamed dry in the bag to me when delivered (The sand).. I was thinking of adding fish food to the system, but maybe I better test results tonight. I use API for my test kit

Unread 05/24/2018, 12:42 AM   #16
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Correct..
No need to add ammonia..
Remove the shrimp..

Tested today, still .5 ammonia maybe .25.. the dam colors are so similar.. nitrites 0 but feals like nitrates are increasing.. turning on protein skimmer finally.. will do a 10% water change friday as I am not big on those.

Unread 05/24/2018, 06:22 AM   #17
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Your tank is ready to go... Like always start slow and enjoy..

Unread 05/24/2018, 10:27 AM   #18
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Good to hear, I will definatley be taking it slow

Unread 05/25/2018, 09:39 PM   #19
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
water change helped..nitrates are low

Unread 05/26/2018, 11:51 PM   #20
E46er
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyrawg View Post
Tested today, still .5 ammonia maybe .25.. the dam colors are so similar.. nitrites 0 but feals like nitrates are increasing.. turning on protein skimmer finally.. will do a 10% water change friday as I am not big on those.
you don't like doing water changes?
most people don't enjoy it but its something that needs to be done. especially by inexperienced hobbyists
they make a big difference in water quality.

180G LED see thru
E46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2018, 10:38 PM   #21
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46er View Post
you don't like doing water changes?
most people don't enjoy it but its something that needs to be done. especially by inexperienced hobbyists
they make a big difference in water quality.
I did one and it went nice and smooth..wasnt as bad as i remembered..probably cuz my setup is 10xs better than it was 15 yrs ago