Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/24/2012, 04:00 PM   #1
Gtownguy487
Registered Member

Petco Fish Treatment

What measures should one take when purchasing fish from Petco?

I was thinking about a freshwater dip, basically getting my RO/DI watter and heating it to the same temp as my tank and leaving the fish in there for 3-4 minutes.

I dont have a QT..

Would this process be okay to do? Or would there be another suggestion?

Gtownguy487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2012, 04:26 PM   #2
snorvich
Team RC member

If you cannot realistically quarantine, my recommendation would be to not buy from Petco. Fresh water dips would have no real effect.

Unread 01/24/2012, 04:38 PM   #3
Gtownguy487
Registered Member

I dont know if I could use this as a QT tank because Im still new to the quarantine part of reef keeping and dont know what all i need.
But I have a tank that i have that been running for almost a year that has live rock and sand and 1 small crab that i had caught on the beach.
The salinity is 1.025 and it has a Aqueon QuietFlow filter and a heater. It is a 29 gallon tank with regular florescent lights.

Could this be used? If so how would I use it?

Unread 01/24/2012, 04:47 PM   #4
Cptn Spaulding
Registered Member

Theoretically, yes. Treating the system, however, would destroy some of the biological footprint for your tank. Most people have minimal rock (if any) and a bare bottom in their hospital tank. For a QT it is recommended to have a tank, water, heater, a filter of sorts, and whatever you are dosing. Anything extra would be unnecessary or not beneficial for the most part, feeding minimally daily and water changing often (depending on your levels in your tank).

Cptn Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2012, 04:48 PM   #5
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownguy487 View Post
I dont know if I could use this as a QT tank because Im still new to the quarantine part of reef keeping and dont know what all i need.
But I have a tank that i have that been running for almost a year that has live rock and sand and 1 small crab that i had caught on the beach.
The salinity is 1.025 and it has a Aqueon QuietFlow filter and a heater. It is a 29 gallon tank with regular florescent lights.

Could this be used? If so how would I use it?
It could be used, actually any tank can be used. As set up now it would be useful for observation but not for treatment because any treatment would kill the live rock and for sure the crab. Reading the stickies in this forum would be a good idea, then you can ask specific questions.

Unread 01/24/2012, 04:50 PM   #6
snorvich
Team RC member

You might start with this one

Unread 01/24/2012, 04:52 PM   #7
Gtownguy487
Registered Member

I could take the live rock out and stick it in my sump if you suggest that... But the sand? Is the sand okay? Its a different sand then what i have in my DT.... I would just put the sand in a barrel for future use but I was thinking if i took out the sand it would stir up a lot of nasties but then again the onnly thing thats been living in that tank is a crab?? the crab can go into my sump as well... So would it be okay to put the sand in barrel and crab and live rock in sump and put fish in? Just wanna make sure i dont stir up the nasties and have some spikes ya know?? Would there be nasties at all being it has only had a crab the size of my finger nail?