Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/05/2013, 10:18 AM   #1
JaYbIrD1969
Registered Member

struggling with the "new" photobucket software

So Photobucket has upgraded there software to a new format. they did it some time ago but you had the option to use the old format. As of recent they have moved to the new format 100%. While it seems pretty user friendly, I'm having some trouble with it. I have nearly 1700 pictures on my account. I periodically go back to find an old picture in my archives. The old photobucket had pages, Kinda like RC. I knew a certain photo was on page 23 or 24 and i could find it quickly. now with the new format, you have to scroll down, and as you do, archives populate (kinda like facebook) As I scroll down and more and more pictures load, my computer gets increasingly slow until eventually' explorer freezes and I have to shut it down.

Does anyone have tips on how to easily search your archives? I commented about this to photobucket and they just direct me to FAQs.

Thanks for any help.

JaYbIrD1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2013, 11:33 AM   #2
jroovers
Registered Member

I used PB for a couple of years and didn't have that many photos on it, maybe a couple of hundred, not as many as you are discussing. It seems that things are better organized in Albums for quick searching. I found that PB pretty much froze and crashed my computer every time I used it. I switched to Flickr and haven't looked back.

Do you have a hard drive copy of your files? You could subscribe to Flickr Pro, which costs $7 a quarter I believe, but would give you unlimited uploads I think... that way, you could upload them once, and organize... in the long run, I think you'll be happier. The other thing about Flickr is that I think its colour managemnet is better than PB in terms of display, which is another knock on PB IMO.

Unread 03/06/2013, 01:15 AM   #3
ssick92
Registered Member

I love Flickr. I'm not sure the limit on photos but you should look into it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

IM Nuvo 10g Mixed Reef Nano | Kessil A160we | Mp10QD | Osmolator Nano
ssick92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2013, 07:24 AM   #4
JaYbIrD1969
Registered Member

Boy, the logistics of moving all my photos over to a new hosting site is a little daunting. Ive been with PB for 10 years.

Anyone else??

Unread 03/06/2013, 07:36 AM   #5
Aquatron
Refugium pat.#D414,242

Its not you their new format sucks i have 30 pages of pictures myself. I sent them a email saying this new way is not user friendly, and slow they sent me back my own email and asked if they answered all my questions

Aquatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2013, 09:05 AM   #6
jackde
Old dog and new tricks

Seems like every time I just start to figure something out they have to go and change it.

Current Tank Info: 56 gal. mixed reef
jackde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2013, 06:19 PM   #7
JaYbIrD1969
Registered Member

I just recieved the following email from photobucket!

Thank you for your feedback!

We've received a lot of detailed comments and ideas on how users would like to view their images. Well, we've been listening and are happy to announce that, due to your suggestions, we will be eliminating infinite scroll and re-introducing page views!

We are on schedule to implement page views before the end of March.

Also the option to search for images/videos within your albums is one of the features currently not available on the new Photobucket. We will be adding this feature as soon as we work out all of the kinks!

Unread 03/11/2013, 09:30 AM   #8
nightOwl
Premium Member

I joined photobucket after Webshots screwed me over by shutting down and renaming to Smile. I was enjoying the old Photobucket and switched back and forth between the new and old before becoming frustrated with the infinite scroll as welll. I think that concept is cool for a few pictures but if you have a large library it sucks the way they implemented it. I ditched them and went with Flickr. I am not really a big fan of the interface but happier than with Photobucket. Just like you I had years of photos to re-upload but it helped me clean up my archives a bit as well. Based on your last message from them looks like we were not the only ones that did not like it.