Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/17/2018, 12:32 PM   #1
Xxxtremewv
Registered Member

Drilling drain holes through stand?

So i bought a used 60g cube with stand and sump and all that and I am leaning away from using the tank, the glass panes are a little crooked and the silicone is wore to the point im worrying (and the tanks been dry a while) and the glass had a bunch if scratches all over it. Then they mangled (almost looked melted) trying to cut it to get cords through. The deal was worth it just for the equipment and stand (came with skimmer, pump, eshoppes sump, powerheads) so what I am thinking about doing is buying a 24x24x24 deep blue reef ready tank which is about 250 and using the stand and everything else, but the one issue is the deep blue tanks are drilled on the bottom (which is great because I will run a herbie overflow) and this tank and stand are made for rear drilled and draining down the back and into sump.

So my question...would it be trouble if i drilled a couple holes or better yet a little slot for the two drains to go down into the sump into the wood stand? Integrity wise and all that?

Xxxtremewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 12:35 PM   #2
Xxxtremewv
Registered Member

Ill add pictures later if it would help, but its a nice solid stand

Unread 05/17/2018, 12:36 PM   #3
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

Personally i would put a slot over holes

It shouldn’t be if the stand was built properly
Not waterlogged
Damaged
Not sturdy
etc...

You can always reinforce the top by putting a 2x4 across drilling into the stand

or 2x4 across and two legs supporting it

OurCoralReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 12:47 PM   #4
Xxxtremewv
Registered Member

You know that never crossed my mind. I think thats the route I could go, taking a couple 2x4s across on the inside from side to side. That would put my mind at ease more I think. The stand seems to be bery good and aturdy and I dont see evidence of water damage or anything out of the ordinary. Thanks for the input!

Unread 05/17/2018, 10:22 PM   #5
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

Sure no problem hope it all works out

OurCoralReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2018, 12:19 PM   #6
Apotack
Registered Member

2x4 will work but you would be fine with 1x2 on edge and would take up much less space

Current Tank Info: 125gal
Apotack is offline   Reply With Quote