Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/26/2018, 03:22 AM   #1
Bigfudge
Registered Member

Cepex Ball Valve inside Sump? Under Water?

Hello everyone! Probably a stupid question but I'm currently in the process of measuring, cutting and dry fitting my plumbing for my CadLights Artisan 100.

I just got my Synergy Reef TS34 triton sump today so starting the prep-work to get it wet hopefully this week.

Space is at an extreme premium under the tank (isn't it always?) and I was planning on running a manifold off my COR20 Return. I had it sketched originally to have a CEPEX Ball Valve as an emergency shut off on top prior to going to the Manifold however it looks like its not going to work unless I make a ton of turns which I'm trying to avoid more flow loss.

Has anyone ever used a Ball Valve under water or partially submerged? I was thinking if its possible to use it on the lower portion of my bulkhead inside the return portion of the sump immediately above the return pump. This may be partially submerged depending on my water volume in the sump but would save me some good real-estate on top and allow better placement of the manifold and actual return line to the tank.

XX Represents the Pipe

XX
_____Bulkhead______ <~ Top of Sump
XX
Ball Valve
XX
XX
Return Pump

Thanks for any help!

Unread 05/26/2018, 10:20 AM   #2
thegrun
Registered Member

It's fine assuming the valve has no metal parts. It will get caked fairly quickly with algae and mineral deposits if under water so it's likely to need more frequent cleaning and even replacements.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2018, 01:29 PM   #3
homer1475
Registered Member

I have one on ATS partially submerged. Been that way for about a year now and is totally fine.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2018, 04:11 PM   #4
Bigfudge
Registered Member

Thanks guys I appreciate it.