Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/24/2013, 08:14 PM   #3226
JAustin
Acropora Nut

Hope he eats too. This is now day three and I haven't seen him eat. He's picking at sponges but not taking any of the several prepared foods. I'll add clams in half shell tomorrow.

Wish me luck!

Unread 10/25/2013, 05:24 PM   #3227
Georgephoenix
Registered Member

Thanks I think I will go for it and add one soon hopefully.

Georgephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2013, 07:57 PM   #3228
bobkill
reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAustin View Post
Hope he eats too. This is now day three and I haven't seen him eat. He's picking at sponges but not taking any of the several prepared foods. I'll add clams in half shell tomorrow.

Wish me luck!
He will soon! I can feel it

Unread 11/06/2013, 06:47 PM   #3229
hanig
Registered Member

Quote:

Wish me luck!
Did it work???
My regal is a 2.5 inch yellow belly from Sumatra .He only ate sponges and algae off the live rock for 2 weeks.Then he ate the clam on the 1/2 shell for another 2 weeks.After that he turned into a ravenous dog eating everything hitting the water .The key is to keep them alive until they figure out that the stuff floating in the water is yummy.Having other fish he can see eating off the water column is helpful.

hanig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2013, 09:16 PM   #3230
JAustin
Acropora Nut

And he's dead.... Never ate any prepared food. Tried almost everything. Ugh.

Unread 11/07/2013, 04:12 PM   #3231
sandwi54
Registered Member

Quote:
And he's dead.... Never ate any prepared food. Tried almost everything. Ugh.
Did he eat in the LFS? don't buy any regal that is not already eating something in the LFS, because 9 out of 10 times that means a dead regal.

Current Tank Info: 375g FOWLR, 40g Reef
sandwi54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2013, 06:21 PM   #3232
taphil
Registered Member

Here's an updated pic of mine. It's now eating flake food in addition to any frozen food.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20131105_203409.jpg (101.3 KB, 200 views)
taphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2013, 08:38 PM   #3233
ace_92101
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taphil View Post
Here's an updated pic of mine. It's now eating flake food in addition to any frozen food.
Absolutely beautiful. Best of luck with raising your Regal.

ace_92101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2013, 06:50 PM   #3234
Wrench
Registered Member

I need some feeding tricks if anyone can here can help. I picked up a regal at a LFS last week. It picked at a couple brine shrimp so I thought it was worth a shot. It's in my 48x48" frag tank at the moment. When I introduce food the fish shows a response and has picked at a few things but it's not eating more than a bite or two. Below is a list of what I've tried. Does anyone have any suggestions of what else to try?

1.)Clams on the half shell. These are live ones from the seafood market. I keep them in my sump and crack 'em open fresh. When I first put them in the tank, the fish will take a few bites almost immediately but not much more than that.
2.)PE mysis. The fish has not taken any of these from the water column. I turn the pumps off and put the cube on the bottom and the fish took a bite or two tonight but I think it spit them out.
3.)Live blackworms, no interest.
4.)Live and frozen brine, no interest.
5.)Formula One flakes, no interest.
6.)A local reefers homemade food. A mix of clams, squid, fish, etc. No interest.

Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2013, 10:58 PM   #3235
las
Registered Member

mine loves larry's fish frenzy... whatever he eats, even if its a bite or two, keep feeding until he gets hungrier and hungrier. this might mean you have to feed him 6 times a day and siphon out watever he doesnt eat after 2 minutes. but, its the way to get him acclimated

las is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2013, 04:38 PM   #3236
Wrench
Registered Member

After two weeks the fish started eating. It will only take fresh mussels. Eats from my hand though. Hopefully I'll be able to wean it onto other prepared foods over the next few weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtpuw...ature=youtu.be

Unread 12/02/2013, 10:53 PM   #3237
las
Registered Member

thats a great clip... you might try putting a different type of food on a mussel shell... maybe that will get him eating other foods

Unread 12/03/2013, 08:00 AM   #3238
Wrench
Registered Member

I've tried pressing several different foods into the shell but the fish is not interested yet. I try it every few days using mysis, frozen brine, etc. It just looks at it funny then looks up at me like, "this isn't food!".

Unread 12/03/2013, 09:32 PM   #3239
las
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
I've tried pressing several different foods into the shell but the fish is not interested yet. I try it every few days using mysis, frozen brine, etc. It just looks at it funny then looks up at me like, "this isn't food!".
They are smarter than we thought... Just keep feeding him whatever he eats as often as you can. He'll come around.

Unread 12/09/2013, 08:59 AM   #3240
sullyfish
Registered Member

found a LFS with a regal angel and was tempted to make the purchase as I have been interested in getting a regal for some time. Last week I saw one but was a bit wary since it was a larger ( 5-6" ) Indo-Pacific regal and would not eat. This weekend I checked up on it and it was breathing fast, color looking splotchy and hiding in the LR.

Sadly this beautiful fish's fate seems certain.

Unread 12/10/2013, 05:41 PM   #3241
Wrench
Registered Member

An update on my Regal:

After two weeks of strictly mussels, I skipped a day of feeding in hopes that it would get hungry enough to eat something else. The next day I added a mix of flake food and frozen brine shrimp and the fish ate both. It eats a little of everything now but it still seems to prefer the mussels. I'm hoping that in a few more weeks I'll be able to start acclimating it to the display.

Unread 12/17/2013, 05:17 PM   #3242
brunoarrojado
Registered Member

new regal :)

Hello guys, ive bought a regal to my tank.

He has been 3 weeks in my lfs (quarantine), where he started eating brine shrimp, when i introduce it to my display, he stoped eating like he was.

after 4 days, he is eating like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cI9acx2XDA

What you guys think?

I tried with mussels, blood worms, nori (marron, red)...

brunoarrojado is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2013, 01:30 PM   #3243
Vlado4x4
Registered Member

I´m wondering if any of you had problems with Regals eating zoas or other corals in general

Vlado4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2013, 04:45 PM   #3244
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlado4x4 View Post
I´m wondering if any of you had problems with Regals eating zoas or other corals in general
Never actually saw Regal eating zoas, BUT they all disappeared after the Regal and a filefish were added! I recently stated adding some new Zoa colonies and they haven't been touched... Time will tell!

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2013, 05:20 PM   #3245
MIKE NY
Two Decade club

all my Zoas and Acans were fine for about 6 months then a few started being eaten...

Current Tank Info: 170 gal Reef, 20 gal frag/reef,90 gal fuge, 65 gal sump, 2-250 Radiums on Hamilton M80 HQIs, T5 actincs, Vertex in280 skimmer, MRC-2 Cal Reactor, Reeflo return pump
MIKE NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2013, 06:23 PM   #3246
Vlado4x4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
Never actually saw Regal eating zoas, BUT they all disappeared after the Regal and a filefish were added! I recently stated adding some new Zoa colonies and they haven't been touched... Time will tell!
I also had a filefish in the past and he eat all my zoas. Toke it right away after that.
The regal angel was one of the fish that got me into this hobby and now that I have a mature system I think it's time. Hope my lfs store train one to pellet eating

Vlado4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2013, 09:06 PM   #3247
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
Mine didn't for the first 3.5 years, then went on a Zoa eating orgy and finished up with clam for dessert.

Unread 12/18/2013, 09:39 PM   #3248
las
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxII View Post
Mine didn't for the first 3.5 years, then went on a Zoa eating orgy and finished up with clam for dessert.
small price to pay for the most amazing fish in the sea

Unread 12/27/2013, 01:57 PM   #3249
xanthurum
Registered Member

So I picked up a Red Sea Regal Angel from my LFS on monday 12/23. He was a special order so I had not observed him at all and shortly discovered he came with Flukes. After trying coppersafe I got better advice to do Prazi so I did that yesterday 12/26 and the Flukes seem to be gone. His appetite has grown daily and he is getting more and more bold each day as well. Eating PE mysis frozen brine and formula 2 gonna get some pellets and try those also. Hope the pic shows up but my tapatalk hasnt been working

Current Tank Info: You want to know just ask
xanthurum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2013, 03:25 PM   #3250
aquaph8
Love The Fish

Give him two rounds of prazi to be sure.

Current Tank Info: Leemar 60x36x24, 8x80 T5/LED Sfiligoi GENESIS Alpha 300 skimmer
aquaph8 is offline   Reply With Quote