Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/27/2012, 05:17 AM   #376
OkStudent
Registered Member

The dealer says I need a different type of ballast. This one is for single ended bulbs. I am going to try a 150 double ended first, if it does not work I will try a 175 single ended. My 250 same type of ballast is running DE's fine, but i have read on some of the other 175 ballasts they will run a 150 DE and a 175 SE. This is what I get for trying to save a little $ by using a industrial ballast.

Unread 02/01/2012, 06:01 PM   #377
xanee
Registered Member

I'm designing a 48Wx24Lx13H shallow sps/ fish only tank. Its shallow but the catch is i want the fixture hung (make space for mangroves to one end, coral on the other). Anyone think around one and a half-two feet over the tank is too much and will it take away too much from the sps? I'm considering a 36", 150w, 14k HQI fixture with 4, 39w t5's, might bump it up to 2, 150w HQI.

xanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2012, 11:55 PM   #378
big cats
Registered Member

I need some help deciding on a light for my new tank..its a 24x24x20 cube, and I plan on mainly an LPS and softie tank..with maybe a few SPS in there..would a MH and T5 combo be overkill for that tank? Or would it be alright? I really want to try a MH out, just because I've never used one before and would like to. What do you guys think?

big cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2012, 06:44 PM   #379
RUFF
Registered Member

I would be looking at led if i were you

Current Tank Info: 16g aga bow25lbs LR,Aqua C Remora
RUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2012, 07:09 PM   #380
big cats
Registered Member

RUFF, I currently have LED and wanted to try something new. Wantedto go with MH and T5 combo.

Unread 02/08/2012, 10:01 PM   #381
pjsonnentag
Registered Member

Between two MH fixtures for new tank

I'm building a 90g room divider reef in my basement and have pretty much decided to go MH. I've found two pretty affordable fixtures on eBay (around $300), but am still skeptical. One is 2 x 250w 14k MH with 4 T5 Actinics and the other is 2 x 250w MH with 4 PCs. Is there a big difference? Are there any MH fixture brands to avoid? Any advice would be appreciated! Oh yeah- plan on keeping soft corals, LPS and clams....maybe SPS in the future...want to keep my options open.

pjsonnentag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2012, 11:49 PM   #382
cas1069
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsonnentag View Post
I'm building a 90g room divider reef in my basement and have pretty much decided to go MH. I've found two pretty affordable fixtures on eBay (around $300), but am still skeptical. One is 2 x 250w 14k MH with 4 T5 Actinics and the other is 2 x 250w MH with 4 PCs. Is there a big difference? Are there any MH fixture brands to avoid? Any advice would be appreciated! Oh yeah- plan on keeping soft corals, LPS and clams....maybe SPS in the future...want to keep my options open.
the biggest thing on the MH are the ballast and buld, most fixtures are going to have crap bulbs as they are the cheapest as for the ballast thats hard to say with out knowing the name on it.
as for t5 vs pc the pc are more $ to repalce and are on the way out due to t5s. but some ppl think that you get more reaction off antic pc than t5s how ever with th t5 you can mix antics to give you the color you want your tank to be.

hope this helps

cas1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2012, 11:53 PM   #383
cas1069
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big cats View Post
I need some help deciding on a light for my new tank..its a 24x24x20 cube, and I plan on mainly an LPS and softie tank..with maybe a few SPS in there..would a MH and T5 combo be overkill for that tank? Or would it be alright? I really want to try a MH out, just because I've never used one before and would like to. What do you guys think?
on a tank that size for what you want i would stick with your leds how ever if you want to try MH for what you want to grow try a 150 or 175 MH with t-5 antics but your going to have more heat to deal with and its going to run more $ in power

just my $.02

Unread 02/10/2012, 02:29 AM   #384
mintcond
Registered Member

Question about lighting a 54 corner tank.

I am starting a 54 gallon mixed reef tank and want to be able to keep any coral. Not sure what light I should have.

mintcond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2012, 07:47 AM   #385
cas1069
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintcond View Post
I am starting a 54 gallon mixed reef tank and want to be able to keep any coral. Not sure what light I should have.
a 150w or 175w MH fixture will work, if the tank is a 4foot get 2 MH bulbs if less than 4foot get a 1Mh bulb.

Unread 02/10/2012, 12:33 PM   #386
big cats
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas1069 View Post
on a tank that size for what you want i would stick with your leds how ever if you want to try MH for what you want to grow try a 150 or 175 MH with t-5 antics but your going to have more heat to deal with and its going to run more $ in power

just my $.02

I'm not too concerned with heating issues, I can deal with those as they arise. and as far as $ in power goes; this is an expensive hobby as it is, a little extra $ for the lights isn't really my main concern at this point. The tank will most likely end up in a store for display purposes.

So for the K rating on the MH, would 20K be really brlue? or just slightly blue? Because I really don't like the look of white on corals. And on my T5's I was thinking of using ATI blue+ and ATI purple+ for some pop for the different colors of corals.

Does that sound good?

Unread 02/11/2012, 12:48 AM   #387
cas1069
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm not too concerned with heating issues, I can deal with those as they arise. and as far as $ in power goes; this is an expensive hobby as it is, a little extra $ for the lights isn't really my main concern at this point. The tank will most likely end up in a store for display purposes.

So for the K rating on the MH, would 20K be really brlue? or just slightly blue? Because I really don't like the look of white on corals. And on my T5's I was thinking of using ATI blue+ and ATI purple+ for some pop for the different colors of corals.

Does that sound good?
20k is "blue" but i don't think its something that you see over anitcs but i like blue tanks and hate the yellow tea look of 10k

Unread 02/11/2012, 10:32 AM   #388
big cats
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas1069 View Post
20k is "blue" but i don't think its something that you see over anitcs but i like blue tanks and hate the yellow tea look of 10k
I'm with you there! So would a 14k be right in the middle of those two as far as color goes? A mix of blue and white? I will just have to go somewhere to check them out in person to see what I like I suppose.

Unread 02/12/2012, 12:03 PM   #389
cas1069
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm with you there! So would a 14k be right in the middle of those two as far as color goes? A mix of blue and white? I will just have to go somewhere to check them out in person to see what I like I suppose.
i now use 14k and am getting good growth and nice colors. that being said i don't get as much growth as i would with a 10k and the color is not as good as they would be with a 20k but with the 14k its a nice mix of the two

Unread 03/01/2012, 02:18 PM   #390
06bug
Registered Member

Big cats, you won't go wrong with 14k 150watts. I like using Phoenix 14k de bulbs. I get good growth and great color.

06bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2012, 05:01 PM   #391
Randy15
Registered Member

i went from tek t5 to MH with led supplement and ive been extremly happy

Randy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2012, 09:20 PM   #392
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Oh great...another bot.

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2012, 10:45 AM   #393
97EclipseGSX
Registered Member

Found some Current USA Metal halides. I love them. 2 - 3' (2) 250W bulbs 9 blue LEDs and 9 white LEDs for night lighting. They work great other than the water temp tries to get up over 82. I'm looking at chillers now.

97EclipseGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2012, 02:45 PM   #394
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

82 is nothing to worry about, keep it under 85 and you won't have issues.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Unread 03/05/2012, 06:16 PM   #395
97EclipseGSX
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirreal63 View Post
82 is nothing to worry about, keep it under 85 and you won't have issues.
Cool. It got up to 84 the first day I had them but I got a couple of two liters and filled them with water to freeze and I just throw them in the sump every 4 hours or so. I have a chiller coming next week though so it won't be an issue for the summer.

Current Tank Info: Reef tank
97EclipseGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2012, 03:59 PM   #396
troyman
Registered Member

will have halides over t5s anyday it is also the most penetrating of lights its expensive to change bulbs every 6 to 8 months but worth it

troyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2012, 11:17 AM   #397
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Unless you are over driving your bulbs, there is no reason to change them so soon. You can easily go beyond a year with a properly driven bulb. I usually go 14-16 months on a bulb. Over driving a bulb is different, but if you are not doing that, you are throwing money away.

Unread 03/08/2012, 11:27 AM   #398
AVDweeb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirreal63 View Post
Unless you are over driving your bulbs, there is no reason to change them so soon. You can easily go beyond a year with a properly driven bulb. I usually go 14-16 months on a bulb. Over driving a bulb is different, but if you are not doing that, you are throwing money away.
My understanding is that the bulb's color temperature changes and goes more towards yellow, which is why replacement in 9-12 months is recommended.

Have you found that this is not the case?

AVDweeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2012, 12:27 PM   #399
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Yes but the shift is not as noticeable as you may think, and the shift does not stop growth. I would not take what MD says as gospel, they sell bulbs, the last thing they would do is tell you not to change them, they have a monetary stake in the advice they give, that rarely equates to solid advice. A stand up company they are, but there is no testing that I have seen that requires a change in MH bulbs so soon, unless they are being over driven.

One study by someone NOT selling bulbs indicates the opposite of the mythinformation that has been passed down over time.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/ac/index.php

As always look to your corals for the health of the tank, IME there is little reason to change a bulb driven correctly at anything less than a year. If the color shift is noticed, and it bothers you, then by all means change it but I have never noticed a major color shift and I have never had my corals respond poorly to a 14 month old bulb. You will notice a change in PAR and color initially when you change bulbs, as they do lose intensity but if you read the study above, this happens very early in the bulbs life and remains fairly constant after that.

I have doing the extended change routine since that article came out in 2007 and have not had any issues from doing so. Bad information morphs from good information, and probably this came from people who were running 400 watt Radiums on HQI spec ballasts, which severely over drives them, as the 400 watt Radium is actually designed to be run at 360 watts. For those people a change at the 6-9 month mark is warranted and recommended, and it is possible from that came the notion that all MH bulbs needed to be changed at no more than a year. I don't really know, but I do know that I have never had an issue with running my bulbs at the 14-16 month mark. Honestly they could probably go longer but I like to mess with my equipment. :-)

Unread 03/09/2012, 04:59 AM   #400
troyman
Registered Member

i will do that then i saved all my bilbs will let them go longer

troyman is offline   Reply With Quote