Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/22/2012, 11:45 PM   #2551
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Mike View Post
That's what I'm using in my 4x24w Sunpower...2 ATI blue plus & 1 ATI Actinic & 1 Fiji purple
I ran that combo for months on my old tank. I had a plating monti and green birdsnest that grew like weeds. They are fast growers anyways but loved that combo. That's why I'm using it for my ''main'' lighting right now and wanted 2 growth bulbs for 4-5 hours a day. My LFS has GE bulbs in and I may just grab a couple of them to really spike the daylight hours.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2012, 11:57 PM   #2552
Michigan Mike
Freedom costs a buckofive

One GE & blue plus wouldn't be a bad addition to this combo for the extra midday boost.
Ge6500 & blue plus equals pure white.
Like you say, run em when your not home.lol

Michigan Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2012, 05:08 PM   #2553
triguy
Registered Member

I bought an 8x54w ATI dimmable sunpower back in February. I was running 5 B+, Fiji Purple, and 2 KZ New Generations. I wanted to switch it up and have heard a lot of positive things about the Coral+, so I recently purchased 5B+, 2 Purple+, 2 Coral+ and a 6500K so I could play around with the configuration.

What would recommend with these bulbs and in what order. Keep in mind that 3rd and 6th bulbs are on one channel and the other 6 bulbs are on the other.

I had to replace them and currently have the configuration below, but I'm not sold on using the 6500K:
B+
B+
C+
B+
P+
B+
B+

triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2012, 05:45 PM   #2554
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by triguy View Post
I bought an 8x54w ATI dimmable sunpower back in February. I was running 5 B+, Fiji Purple, and 2 KZ New Generations. I wanted to switch it up and have heard a lot of positive things about the Coral+, so I recently purchased 5B+, 2 Purple+, 2 Coral+ and a 6500K so I could play around with the configuration.

What would recommend with these bulbs and in what order. Keep in mind that 3rd and 6th bulbs are on one channel and the other 6 bulbs are on the other.

I had to replace them and currently have the configuration below, but I'm not sold on using the 6500K:
B+
B+
C+
B+
P+
B+
B+

Try not to bunch the GE right by a purple bulb or other daylight bulb. You want it flanked by blue bulbs to spread the light out more evenly.

Do you want a 2 or 6 bulb dusk/dawn setup?

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
Unread 12/23/2012, 06:03 PM   #2555
triguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
Try not to bunch the GE right by a purple bulb or other daylight bulb. You want it flanked by blue bulbs to spread the light out more evenly.

Do you want a 2 or 6 bulb dusk/dawn setup?
I was running a 6 bulb dusk/dawn and had the KZ NG come on later, but now I'm thinking I might have to run a 2 bulb if I keep the 6500K in there. Today I took out the 6500K and put in another C+ because one of the Purple+ bulbs I bought was bad, and I wanted to see what look I would get. Again, I'm not set on using the 6500K, but would if I get more feedback on that being my best setup. I can also buy other bulbs (Pure Actinics or something if needed to offset the 6500K).

Unread 12/23/2012, 09:06 PM   #2556
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
I was running a 6 bulb dusk/dawn and had the KZ NG come on later, but now I'm thinking I might have to run a 2 bulb if I keep the 6500K in there. Today I took out the 6500K and put in another C+ because one of the Purple+ bulbs I bought was bad, and I wanted to see what look I would get. Again, I'm not set on using the 6500K, but would if I get more feedback on that being my best setup. I can also buy other bulbs (Pure Actinics or something if needed to offset the 6500K).
The GE isn't for everybody. Find what you like with the bulbs you have. You should be successful with just about any combo you come up with.

Blue bulbs are best to offset the GE.

Unread 12/23/2012, 09:32 PM   #2557
Froggy
Reef "Hobbyist"...right!?

Quote:

B+
B+
C+
B+
P+
B+
B+
Like Ryan said the GE bulb isnt for everybody but I like a whiter tank. Here is my lineup using the same bulbs on a TEK. The bulb banks are 4 and 4 though so a bit different than your situation. This configuration gives me a very even blend though for reference.

Front
B+
P+
B+
GE 6500
B+
C+
B+
B+
Back

- Joe

......Hi Joe..........

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon mixed reef with TBS live rock, 8 X 54 watt TEK T5's, Euroreef RS250 skimmer
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2012, 09:42 PM   #2558
Michigan Mike

Quote:
Seems like you dont like the GE bulb, only placing a blue plus on each side of it will help negate the power of it, actinics won't help a bit.

I would try any other bulb you think you'll like, I would stay away from the aqua blue special too but you never know...color is subjective.

Unread 12/23/2012, 10:08 PM   #2559
triguy
Registered Member

Thanks Michigan Mike. I had the ABS when I had my 90g and didn't like that bulb.

Froggy, thanks for that bulb suggestion. I only had the GE bulb on there for a week and had the C+ next to it. I may try it with a couple of blues on each side. So maybe this configuration and have dusk/dawn on the 2 bulbs instead of the 6.
B+
P+
B+
GE 6500
B+
B+
C+
B+

Unread 12/23/2012, 11:13 PM   #2560
Michigan Mike

I wish ATI would start making 8 bulb fixtures with 4 bulb dawn/dusk & 4 bulb midday boost setups like the 8 bulb TEK. I prefer it anyway.

Unread 12/24/2012, 12:32 PM   #2561
125mph
Registered Member

According to the ATI website, an 8 bulb combo for:

16K - 20K - Bluish white with a noticable blue and red under-tone
- 5 ATI Blue Plus
- 2 ATI Coral Plus
- 1 ATI Purple Plus

12K - 16K - Cool white with a noticable blue and red under-tone
- 4 ATI Blue Plus
- 3 ATI Coral Plus
- 1 ATI Purple Plus

10K - 14K - Crisp white with just a hint of blue
- 4 ATI Blue Plus
- 2 ATI Aquablue Special
- 2 ATI Purple Plus

I currently run the follow:
- 5 ATI Blue Plus
- 2 ATI Purple Plus
- 1 Gieseman Midday (6000K)

Where do you think my color temperature fits? Sounds like around 14000K?

Synergy Reef CL44 Sump | Neptune Apex
125mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2012, 12:48 PM   #2562
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125mph View Post

- 5 ATI Blue Plus
- 2 ATI Coral Plus
- 1 ATI Purple Plus

- 4 ATI Blue Plus
- 3 ATI Coral Plus
- 1 ATI Purple Plus

- 4 ATI Blue Plus
- 2 ATI Aquablue Special
- 2 ATI Purple Plus

- 5 ATI Blue Plus
- 2 ATI Purple Plus

Right around there. I don't totally trust those combos. 10k and 14k are very different and that's a large range.

I'm running 2 blue plus, 1 purple plus, 1 actinic, 1 aquablue and 1 coral plus. With everything on, I feel it is 14k or so. I'm actually enjoying the look overall which surprises me.

Unread 12/24/2012, 02:35 PM   #2563
Michigan Mike

I felt my 4 bulb combo of Ge6500 , 2 blue plus & fiji purple was around 12k and when I added 2 more blues it helped a little. I bet the aqua blue instead of the ge6500 would be close to a Phoenix 14k.

I'm over trying to get fast growth and have enough freshwater tanks so its nice having the contrast between the deep blue of my salt tanks and yellow/white of my freshwater & planted tanks.

Unread 12/26/2012, 03:11 PM   #2564
jackers
Registered Member

Hey Grim, I have a DIY 36" setup of five T5's, powered by IceCap 660 ballasts (2 bulbs on one ballast, 3 on the other).

You recommended to me not long ago to go with four ATI Blue+ and one Purple+. The color was really nice but my ballasts kept blowing the Purple+ so I swapped in a white bulb, then finally a true actinic.

I honestly like the combo of only one ballast powering two Blue+ and one Actinic. I decided to focus on low/med light corals like favia, chalices, acans, etc and I think the four Blue+ is too much par.

Do you think three Actinic and two Blue+ is enough par? Do you think my tank would be too washed out with that much blue?

jackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2012, 03:46 PM   #2565
Michigan Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackers View Post
Hey Grim, I have a DIY 36" setup of five T5's, powered by IceCap 660 ballasts (2 bulbs on one ballast, 3 on the other).

You recommended to me not long ago to go with four ATI Blue+ and one Purple+. The color was really nice but my ballasts kept blowing the Purple+ so I swapped in a white bulb, then finally a true actinic.

I honestly like the combo of only one ballast powering two Blue+ and one Actinic. I decided to focus on low/med light corals like favia, chalices, acans, etc and I think the four Blue+ is too much par.

Do you think three Actinic and two Blue+ is enough par? Do you think my tank would be too washed out with that much blue?
3 blue on one ballast
2 actinic on the other
I doubt 2 blue plus would be enough but it is overdriven so its better safe than sorry, the actinics will help from the blue washing the tank out.

Unread 12/26/2012, 03:47 PM   #2566
Michigan Mike

I believe Grim has retired from the thread.

Unread 12/26/2012, 04:23 PM   #2567
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackers View Post

I'm surprised you got an actinic to last being overdriven. T5 bulbs and icecap ballasts don't get along all that well. Have you thought about selling the ballasts and just using standard HO ballasts? You will have better luck IMO.

Unread 12/29/2012, 06:13 PM   #2568
125mph
Registered Member

I just changed out my 6000K bulb to Coral Plus.. So I'm basically running:

5 Blue+
2 Purple+
1 Coral+

Based on the info below, am I around 15-16K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125mph View Post

- 5 ATI Blue Plus
- 2 ATI Coral Plus
- 1 ATI Purple Plus

- 4 ATI Blue Plus
- 3 ATI Coral Plus
- 1 ATI Purple Plus

- 4 ATI Blue Plus
- 2 ATI Aquablue Special
- 2 ATI Purple Plus

- 5 ATI Blue Plus
- 2 ATI Purple Plus

Synergy Reef CL44 Sump | Neptune Apex
125mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2012, 03:41 PM   #2569
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Frequency of Tube Replacement

All,

I have been running my ATI tubes for the past nine months. My ATI sunpower unit's fans run at 9 volts.

I have recently lowered my light unit down to 3" above the water surface after noticing brown colouration on my SPS corals. At this height, I measure 625 mmol (in the centre) at 4" below water surface and between 150 mmol and 250 mmol on the sand bed (at 18" depth).

My question is that is there any point in changing my tubes for the sake of it? It seems as if I can still get a few more months worth of life out of my tubes. I am intending to use them as long as I measure sensible PAR. Is there a drawback in my strategy?

Happy new year.

DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2012, 05:14 PM   #2570
Michigan Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
All,

I have been running my ATI tubes for the past nine months. My ATI sunpower unit's fans run at 9 volts.

I have recently lowered my light unit down to 3" above the water surface after noticing brown colouration on my SPS corals. At this height, I measure 625 mmol (in the centre) at 4" below water surface and between 150 mmol and 250 mmol on the sand bed (at 18" depth).

My question is that is there any point in changing my tubes for the sake of it? It seems as if I can still get a few more months worth of life out of my tubes. I am intending to use them as long as I measure sensible PAR. Is there a drawback in my strategy?

Happy new year.
Nope, that's a good strategy. When using new bulbs you can rise the fixture and measure your PAR around the tank & under the fixture and when the 9 month mark rolls around drop the fixture a little and keep the PAR levels close to what you started with.
Around the 10 month mark is when SPS keepers like yourself notice the colors in their corals get worse. You can drop the fixture and get more PAR but to help your corals get the color back your going to need new bulbs soon.

Unread 12/30/2012, 11:34 PM   #2571
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
All,

Happy new year.
How are water parameters? Corals shouldn't be browning too bad under that PAR. Blue bulbs tend to go first so replacing a couple of them wouldn't hurt.

Also what is the ambient temp around your tank? 9v could be too high of a setting and overcooling the bulbs.

Unread 12/31/2012, 01:32 AM   #2572
shiladitya1991
Registered Member

Anyone uses Narva Lamps? Whats your experience with them?

shiladitya1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2012, 01:37 AM   #2573
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
How are water parameters? Corals shouldn't be browning too bad under that PAR. Blue bulbs tend to go first so replacing a couple of them wouldn't hurt.

Also what is the ambient temp around your tank? 9v could be too high of a setting and overcooling the bulbs.
Water parameters are within acceptable limits. I did not phrase very well. What I meant was that colours lost their vibrancy. I have already bought a new set of tubes. It is just a matter of when to replace them, hence my original post.

The ambient temperature of the room in which my tank is kept is around 18C. It could be higher, but I leave one of the windows slightly ajar to avoid condensation problems. Should I drop the voltage to 7V?

Last edited by DiscusHeckel; 12/31/2012 at 01:43 AM.
Unread 12/31/2012, 01:42 AM   #2574
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiladitya1991 View Post
Anyone uses Narva Lamps? Whats your experience with them?
I do not personally use them, but there is a large contingent in the UK who use them instead of ATI blue +. They seem very content with Narva blue. Their selling price in the UK (especially for 54W+ version is significantly cheaper than the price of ATI blue+). There is a long thread in one of the forums here on non-branded bulbs. if you want, I can pm you the URL address.

Unread 12/31/2012, 02:00 AM   #2575
shiladitya1991
Registered Member

Yes, please PM me the URL. I am fed up with the heat issues of MH lamps and want to go T5 this time around.

Last edited by shiladitya1991; 12/31/2012 at 02:12 AM.
shiladitya1991 is offline   Reply With Quote