Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/29/2016, 10:41 AM   #1
Jfranks09
Registered Member

Solar Power

Has anyone here ever done any type of solar power to run pumps and LED lights? I have someone who can install and set them up. Just not sure what kind of kit I would need to see if it's worth it.

Thanks in advance.

Jfranks09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2016, 12:30 PM   #2
Windy2
Registered Member

Solar and wind power are not able to compete with natural gas produced energy. Its much worse now then a few years ago. If it weren't for government subsidies and Utility cost increases, wind and solar would die overnight. The rest of us are paying for your solar power.

Windy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2016, 02:37 PM   #3
radecatur
Registered Member

Ill try to post a somewhat more helpful reply.
I think the hardest part will be matching up the voltages if you wanted to do a straight DC system with batteries. Some of the devices use 48v dc. So you'd have to run 4 12v panels in series or 2 24v panels in series. Then there are a myriad of shading issues you need to be concerned about running them in series.
IMO, it would be better (although less efficient) to convert to AC and use that to power the device power bricks.
I have 1 250w panel tied into my home circuits. Not enough to run an entire tank, but I generate about 12-15KW a month with it. So it does offset a bit.
One of the downfalls with this setup is that if the power goes out, solar production shuts down as to not create an island.
It's a costly investment and you'll want to add additional 30% from your calculated numbers. I.E. if your tank draws 200 watts, plan for 260.
And in terms of cost, the 1 panel, the inverter, and the control unit cost almost 1K. but from this point, i can just add 1 panel and 1 inverter and increase my output at the cost of 350.00 / 250-270 watts.

Hope that is a bit more helpful.

radecatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2016, 05:37 PM   #4
Jfranks09
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radecatur View Post
Ill try to post a somewhat more helpful reply.
I think the hardest part will be matching up the voltages if you wanted to do a straight DC system with batteries. Some of the devices use 48v dc. So you'd have to run 4 12v panels in series or 2 24v panels in series. Then there are a myriad of shading issues you need to be concerned about running them in series.
IMO, it would be better (although less efficient) to convert to AC and use that to power the device power bricks.
I have 1 250w panel tied into my home circuits. Not enough to run an entire tank, but I generate about 12-15KW a month with it. So it does offset a bit.
One of the downfalls with this setup is that if the power goes out, solar production shuts down as to not create an island.
It's a costly investment and you'll want to add additional 30% from your calculated numbers. I.E. if your tank draws 200 watts, plan for 260.
And in terms of cost, the 1 panel, the inverter, and the control unit cost almost 1K. but from this point, i can just add 1 panel and 1 inverter and increase my output at the cost of 350.00 / 250-270 watts.

Hope that is a bit more helpful.
Thanks, very helpful!

Jfranks09 is offline   Reply With Quote