Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/10/2011, 04:34 PM   #26
ghostman
Registered Member

Thanks for asking about my MM. It hasn't changed all that much, my surgeries have healed, and the swelling is down. The MM still seems to be present as there are obvious lumps under the skin.
I am on a new antibiotic that might be promising as the lesion do not seem to be actively growing. I'm hoping for regression in the next month or so. My MM situation started in March/ April of 2011 as a bulge on the cuticle of my right index finger. That bump went away without treatment, and that's when the larger lesions appeared on the back of my right hand. It started on my first knuckle, and spread quickly to the second knuckle. Surgery stopped it from going to the third.
As indicated, MM isnt life threatening, but it still is nothing to mess with. I've had 3 surgeries, 39 stitches, 4 cycles of antibiotics, and still going. My current antibiotics regiment is $432 a month after insurance! Let's hope it does the trick!! Take care.

Current Tank Info: 40IM Fusion, 40lbs of rock, and 20lbs of sand. Just a few fish and corals....for now.
ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2011, 10:49 AM   #27
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

But the good thing is that you are going to be ok. I've learned a lot from reading all of this. $ 432 is a serious chunk of change my friend. I will drop you a few PM's from time to time to see how you're progressing. Stay safe.

Current Tank Info: 70 gallon zoanthid, Palythoa and Mushroom Reef.
MUCHO REEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2011, 12:31 PM   #28
gmyers0203
Registered Member

I'm very new to this hobby and had no idea about these dangers! Thank you SO MUCH for posting such an important and critical thread to all involved in this hobby. I am now adding to my start up equipment some dedicated reef gloves and will be sure to wash my hands after EVERY occasion of working in the tank. Thanks again!!

Transitioning to 120 | 80g Deep Blue Edge rimless | 30g sump | Apex Lite | SCA 303 |

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon Deep Blue Rimless mostly LPS at the moment
gmyers0203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2011, 12:41 PM   #29
gmyers0203
Registered Member

I recommend this only having limited knowledge (not knowing if you can get MM from anything else other than zoos), but I believe this thread should be made a sticky in not only this sub-forum but in the New to the Hobby forum as well. I think it would benefit all (I've been stalking this forum for 2 months and just now saw this thread).

Transitioning to 120 | 80g Deep Blue Edge rimless | 30g sump | Apex Lite | SCA 303 |

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon Deep Blue Rimless mostly LPS at the moment
gmyers0203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2011, 12:53 PM   #30
deacon hemp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUCHO REEF View Post
Sorry to hear this man and thanks for sharing that Deacon.

How long did it take the doctors to diagnose it?

Mucho

PS. Awesome idea, and I agree that having some literature already printed out on all of the possible issues mentioned above. You can place it in a cabinet or drawer for quick retrieval in the event medical attention is needed. Just knowing the names of these potential dangers will help as the hospital can quickly research them on their medical databases.
I went to the doctors knowing what it was (and with literature,pics) 1 week after first sign.My doctor had seen it 10 times before due to i live in a commercial fishing community and it being more common. I have also known another guy at my place of work who had it before me! It took him 2 years or so to get rid of it and he diagnosed it at something like 6 months and had many different doctors ect.

I got lucky and was smart about it. On a side note my doctor didnt think it was all that serious in his demeanor for treating it! if caught early its easy to treat but still takes forever.I was on strong antibiotics for only a month before it started to fade. I got a paid month off work because i caught it at work im sure that helped in my quick recovery too.

The lesson is diagnose it fast.

Current Tank Info: starfire solana,AI sol,softie garden
deacon hemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2011, 06:41 AM   #31
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

Hey thanks for sharing that Deacon.

Have one last question for you. You said above, "My doctor had seen it 10 times before due to i live in a commercial fishing community and it being more common". I know you can't give exact numbers, but how common would you say this really is in your area? Couple times a month, a year or maybe the total number you have personally seen in your area or actual numbers in a year etc? Thanks again for your input, stay safe man.

You're very welcome gmyers0203.

I never thought about alerting all newbies in the "New to the Hobby" forum. Great idea as it could also have an immediate impact for them as well.

Mucho Reef

Unread 09/13/2011, 07:28 AM   #32
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveStrongM3 View Post
If you have some suggestions for better glove choices please post the links.
Just discovered Tunze now sells 5 pairs of what appears to be disposable elbow lenght gloves which protect against Nematphores and harmful Pathogens. Prices vary with many vendors on line. Good luck.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Tunze_Pro...FIMTPG-vi.html

MUCHO REEF

Unread 03/11/2012, 09:43 AM   #33
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

Hey Ghostman and Deacon Hemp, just checking to see how you guys are doing and if there were any set backs or are you total on the mend?

Mooch

Unread 03/14/2012, 12:01 AM   #34
deacon hemp
Registered Member

Sorry Mucho ive been busy as of late my MM is completely gone as far as i can tell,a small scar is there but its over. In answering your question about the doctor seeing cases of MM i didnt get the exact numbers but he said its more common then i would have thought!. If i recall he said 10 times and that would have been his career i guess?. He was just one dr. at a place with 6 others. I suppose on a fishing boat your hands get beat up/cut a lot and would play a big factor in the frequency. He acualy called it "fish finger". My case started from a wound as well which was a simple puncture on my knuckle. At work i make sure my hands are in mint condition with no cuts and cuticles are perfect.

I hope this is usefull info and get well ghostman.

Current Tank Info: starfire solana,AI sol,softie garden
deacon hemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2012, 06:55 AM   #35
goldenservices3
Registered Member

Thanks for posting this. I have been out of saltwater for years, I'm back in again 3rd time. I love Zoas and plan on them again, I WILL have gloves on everytime i put my hands in the tank. Again thanks for sharing.

goldenservices3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2012, 07:18 AM   #36
Atmosphere
Registered Member

After reading this post I feel almost ready to give up on keeping a tank and selling everything I have in fear I might die or get sick from having my tank. This thing was so post to lower my stress not increase it!

Atmosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2012, 01:56 PM   #37
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon hemp View Post
Sorry Mucho ive been busy as of late my MM is completely gone as far as i can tell,a small scar is there but its over. In answering your question about the doctor seeing cases of MM i didnt get the exact numbers but he said its more common then i would have thought!. If i recall he said 10 times and that would have been his career i guess?. He was just one dr. at a place with 6 others. I suppose on a fishing boat your hands get beat up/cut a lot and would play a big factor in the frequency. He acualy called it "fish finger". My case started from a wound as well which was a simple puncture on my knuckle. At work i make sure my hands are in mint condition with no cuts and cuticles are perfect.

I hope this is usefull info and get well ghostman.

Good to hear Deacon. That's what this thread was for, just to inform and enlighten those who didn't know to simply use caution. Maybe Ghost can check in as well. Stay safe my friend and thanks for the update.

goldenservices3, you're very welcome.

Atmosphere, no, don't give up and this is nothing to run from. I have been reefing for 20 years now and I have never had any of these issues. For the last 10 or 12 years I have indeed taken much more precautions then I did in my early years. Just remember what you read and exercise said caution.

Reefing is indeed very rewarding and relaxing. So don't dump your system ok?

Mucho Reef

Unread 03/14/2012, 05:54 PM   #38
650-IS350
Registered Member

Mooch..... your still around.

Just enjoying the box of water from afar
650-IS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2012, 06:24 PM   #39
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650-IS350 View Post
Mooch..... your still around.

LOL, I was about to ask you the same thing. You and about 12 others.

Unread 03/28/2012, 09:53 PM   #40
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2117572

Unread 03/30/2012, 04:18 PM   #41
dlaws
Registered Member

So, what does everyone wear for protective gear when working in their tanks? I sometimes use nitrile lab gloves, which tear pretty easily. I wouldn't want to wear anything much thicker though due to limited sensitivity/dexterity.

dlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2012, 04:24 PM   #42
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlaws View Post
So, what does everyone wear for protective gear when working in their tanks? I sometimes use nitrile lab gloves, which tear pretty easily. I wouldn't want to wear anything much thicker though due to limited sensitivity/dexterity.

See post # 32 up top in this thread.

also

http://www.marinedepot.com/maintenance_gloves-ap.html

or

Powder free latex gloves, the kind you see in a doctor's office.

Eye protection and be sure to wash your hands afterwards and never touch your mucus membrane when working with them.

Stay safe my friend.

Mucho Reef

Unread 04/04/2012, 06:14 PM   #43
dlaws
Registered Member

Cool, thanks for the info

dlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2012, 10:24 AM   #44
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

You're very welcome.

Just left the local grocery store and was surprised to see Latex gloves being sold by the box load in the pharmacy area. FYI.

Mooch

Unread 05/07/2012, 10:19 PM   #45
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

Just found this and wanted to share it along with all the previous info above.

"Can my pet fish get my kids sick ?"

"Pet fish, both salt water and fresh water varieties, can get you sick from a strain of bacteria related to human tuberculosis. Although infection from this bacteria is rare, certain precautions should be taken when cleaning and dealing with aquarium water, fish and products contaminated with aquarium water. This disease is very dangerous for those with a weakened immune system.

The layman term for this fairly rare fish tank disease is Fish Tank Granuloma. The scientific name for this bacteria is mycobacterium marinum. If you think that you or your child has been exposed to or is suffering from this disease, your smart move is to consult your physician who can help pinpoint the cause and prescribe proper treatment. This article is for your additional information only. I feel that it is always smart to do your homework before you consult your physician. The more help you can offer your physician on his diagnosis of a problem the better.

The absolutely fist line of defense against this infection is to wear waterproof gloves when cleaning your fish tank or dealing with fish tank water. Even if you wore gloves, wash your hands and arms thoroughly with anti-bacterial soap when you start and when you are done, just to be safe. This disease often enters the body through cuts and abrasions or any compromise of the skin so be particularly aware of this. Never drink or taste your aquarium water for any reason.

The symptoms of Fish Tank Granuloma are wounds that take a very long time to heal. Generally these wounds are on the hands, arms or fingers. After the wound closes, there may be some soreness and small nodules (called granulomas) around the wound. If this disease enters the bloodstream, nodules may form in the veins close to the original wound. Because this disease is very slow growing, these nodules may take 2-3 weeks and even up to several months to show up. The infected wound may become ulcerous and close lymph nodes may become swollen. This disease may heal itself over time. Your doctor may be interested to know that this bacterium is gram-positive which means it will retain a crystal violet dye for identification purposes.

It should be noted that this disease may also be picked up at incorrectly chlorinated pools, from any fish (uncooked), and from swimming in fresh and salt water in many parts of the world, including the United States. Generally, a cut, abrasion or wound must be present along with the bacteria.

Treatment varies and as of now, there is no set rule to which regimen of antibiotics works best. It can take a long time to rid oneself of this disease. It can take 3 months to almost a year of an antibiotic regimen. Often combinations of antibiotics are used such as tetracyclines, ethambutol, rifampicin, trimethoprim, and/or sulfamethoxazole. Some physicians use Rifampin + Ethambutol, Rifampin + Clarithromycin or Minocycline by itself."

by Otaffy, Mitch Endick

Last edited by MUCHO REEF; 05/07/2012 at 10:25 PM.
Unread 05/09/2012, 12:03 PM   #46
St.Pete_Reefer
Registered Member

Thanks for sharing I had no idea.

St.Pete_Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2012, 08:55 PM   #47
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

You're welcome...everyone needs to read this just once I think.

Unread 07/18/2012, 01:55 AM   #48
Angel85
Registered Member

Mucho Reef- As a newbie, I have heard of this, but this thread has helped me to better understand. I bookmarked to my favorites. Thanks again!

Current Tank Info: 29 gallon biocube-Oceanic
Angel85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2012, 04:12 PM   #49
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

Hey that's great, but share it with others who might not be aware. Good luck man and you're welcome.

MUCHO REEF
TOTM August 2003

Unread 07/18/2012, 11:49 PM   #50
Angel85
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUCHO REEF View Post
Hey that's great, but share it with others who might not be aware. Good luck man and you're welcome.

MUCHO REEF
TOTM August 2003
I definately will! Its part of the reason I replied to the thread, to bring it back to the top of the list. I hope others will read it.

Current Tank Info: 29 gallon biocube-Oceanic
Angel85 is offline   Reply With Quote