Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/19/2016, 05:56 PM   #151
aggie13reef
Registered Member

Looking good, ready for the SPS! Love the scientific name usage, takes me back to college. Lennardi wrasse looks beautiful in pictures. I have never seen one so it must be pretty rare. My favorite family of fish are wrasses. Unmatched beauty IMO

65 gal DSA
aggie13reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2016, 10:17 PM   #152
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshky View Post
Dom I think the longest recorded success with Lennardi is like a year or so? Most don't last very long for whatever reason, I believe Sanjay had the one that lasted for a year so definitely not your average reefer. There are other Anampses spp. that are just as beautiful and have a better success rate if you're looking for one in that genus.

Can't wait for your to get your sump, I want to see those beautiful acros!! :P What's the ETA?
Yeah they're a bit tricky, similar to a. femininus but with the right maturity in the tank and a locally sourced fish I think I'll have a fighting chance. The problem with a lot of fish like this is the process they have to endure to make it to you guys. We'll see how I go but down the road I would love to get one and as with all my fish, you gotta put in the hard yards! lol

Two weeks hopefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloformAustria View Post
coming together nicely Dom...

canīt wait to see this tank taking off!

love those sps
haha shush you!! there's some monti in there

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie13reef View Post
Looking good, ready for the SPS! Love the scientific name usage, takes me back to college. Lennardi wrasse looks beautiful in pictures. I have never seen one so it must be pretty rare. My favorite family of fish are wrasses. Unmatched beauty IMO
I'm very ready for sps, hopefully the tank is too lol I do enjoy scientific names and such so I try to use them when I can be bothered and have the sense about it haha
Lennardi would be my second rare wrasse in the tank lol it would contrast very nicely with my halichoeres melasmapomus

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2016, 01:41 AM   #153
FloformAustria
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
haha shush you!! there's some monti in there

really? where?

^Austrian Reef Club^

"Founding Member of CCC - The cool couch club of SPS keeping" - Biggles

Current Tank Info: The Austrian Dropoff Tank
FloformAustria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2016, 07:23 PM   #154
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Quote:
Yeah they're a bit tricky, similar to a. femininus but with the right maturity in the tank and a locally sourced fish I think I'll have a fighting chance. The problem with a lot of fish like this is the process they have to endure to make it to you guys. We'll see how I go but down the road I would love to get one and as with all my fish, you gotta put in the hard yards! lol
Hey as long as you're fully aware! Hopefully you'll be able to beat the odds, it would be an absolutely beautiful addition to your new reef. Looking forward to more updates.

My 80g: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2677031
joshky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2016, 12:29 AM   #155
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:

really? where?

Listen here you! if you're not careful I'm going to organise an envelope of glitter to be sent you and they are a PAIN in the a*s to clean up hahaha

Quote:
Hey as long as you're fully aware! Hopefully you'll be able to beat the odds, it would be an absolutely beautiful addition to your new reef. Looking forward to more updates.
Yep, I'm a bit of a sucker for punishment with some fish that I want to keep lol. Hopefully I can and I think with the right routine it should be possible well hopefully at least lol I'll be sure to make sure she's feeding at the lfs if I do get one though

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Unread 07/21/2016, 12:33 AM   #156
FloformAustria
Registered Member

Quote:
Listen here you! if you're not careful I'm going to organise an envelope of glitter to be sent you and they are a PAIN in the a*s to clean up hahaha
)
haha okay i am stopping buddy!
mate get over to Andrew and take back your corals! wanna see how they look in the new tank

^Austrian Reef Club^

Unread 07/21/2016, 02:06 AM   #157
bgouges
Registered Member

Quote:

Yep, I'm a bit of a sucker for punishment with some fish that I want to keep lol. Hopefully I can and I think with the right routine it should be possible well hopefully at least lol I'll be sure to make sure she's feeding at the lfs if I do get one though
Tanks looking good dom! I know all to well how easy it is to get carried away and transfer everything over so i admire your self control!
As your aware ive tried a pair of lennardi as im in WA and they are caught as far as im aware from our north west they come up annually if im lucky (im actually heading up to broome tommorow ) i have had trouble finding healthy specimens, the ones i try have damaged mouths from being in a barren qt tank and rubbing against the glass, the one that was healthy and survived for a few weeks would only eat pods so i started culture baby brine but it still withered away! Hopefully you can source a healthy larger one! Ive only tried tiny ones as i like little fish haha

Current Tank Info: 800l SPS
bgouges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2016, 05:28 AM   #158
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
haha okay i am stopping buddy!
mate get over to Andrew and take back your corals! wanna see how they look in the new tank
haha don't worry you're not the only one making fun of me
I can't wait to see them in the tank either!! Not long to go now

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgouges View Post
Tanks looking good dom! I know all to well how easy it is to get carried away and transfer everything over so i admire your self control!
As your aware ive tried a pair of lennardi as im in WA and they are caught as far as im aware from our north west they come up annually if im lucky (im actually heading up to broome tommorow ) i have had trouble finding healthy specimens, the ones i try have damaged mouths from being in a barren qt tank and rubbing against the glass, the one that was healthy and survived for a few weeks would only eat pods so i started culture baby brine but it still withered away! Hopefully you can source a healthy larger one! Ive only tried tiny ones as i like little fish haha
Thanks Brok It's be a hard slog not buying lots of stuff and filling the tank already lol but once I get that sump firing.. well that's a different story
Yeah, I'm hoping given the quality of them I've usually seen come in and how much effort goes into getting them to feed I'll get lucky and get the right specimen but even if I have to work for it I'm prepared to lol

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/22/2016, 05:45 AM   #159
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Spent a few hours at Deer Park today just chilling and chatting with Mark and Dave, didn't buy anything but I had nothing better to do so it was the best way to blow 4 hours haha poor buggers!
That being said I did get to check out the kick *** range of Aquaforest products now in the store and given how amazingly priced they are, I'll be moving to AF for my big 3 dosing and some trace as well I think. Might give some of the other crazy products a go down the line too!

The real highlight of the trip was getting to see my sump in a near finished state D holy crap it's going to be soooo amazing to have a play with!! Dave has done a marvelous job with it and I was certainly not wrong entrusting the sump to him! I cannot wait to have this bad boy running! Everything looks fantastic and it's going to be a breeze to work with as well There's so much room lol frag tank/acclimatisation tank is going to come in a great deal of handiness with all new additions too! Anyway I took a couple of snaps of my sexy new sump!

I do feel a little bad for the tank builder :P (not really ) haha

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/22/2016, 08:15 AM   #160
deaclauderdale
Lover of Fishies

I can make out around 5 sections Dom, care detail what they are all for?

Reef keeping is life!

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 70 reef tank, 2 Gen 2 Radions, BM Curve7 Skimmer
deaclauderdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2016, 01:55 PM   #161
reefmutt
Registered Member

Nice sump, Dom.
Now, get it home and install it so you can spend 4 hours on your system instead of hanging out in the pet store!
Can't wait to see it all running.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2016, 03:39 AM   #162
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaclauderdale View Post
I can make out around 5 sections Dom, care detail what they are all for?

Reef keeping is life!
There's actually 6 hahaha I shall explain below!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Nice sump, Dom.
Now, get it home and install it so you can spend 4 hours on your system instead of hanging out in the pet store!
Can't wait to see it all running.
haha still needs the acrylic work on it and the finishing touches but I am so happy with it and it was an afternoon well spent! I do plan on spending a few hours on the tank tomorrow though will do some water tests shortly too.

Now onto the detail of the sump, going off the front on pic. The basics of the sump details are as follows, in order of the flow through of the sump:
- The back right corner is the overflow and skimmer section.
- It flows into the front middle section which is for some of the matrix, this matrix will be more about ammonia and nitrite process as the flow through that area will be a little higher and more oxygenated meaning the bacteria's environment is more aerobic.
- That then flows into the frag tank section on the left. I'll also use this section for acclimatising new fish to the system before they go upstairs for the real fun lol easy to observe and catch them down there Along with that the rest of the matrix will reside under the frag racks for a slower less oxyenated water flow to allow for an anaerobic condition to form and hopefully mean the matrix is more efficient at processing nitrates.
- From there it's into the filter sock section (I have mine just before the return instead of overflow). I'm not going to run them all the time, mainly before and after water changes and if I clean the sump or move stuff around in the tank and when stirring up the matrix.
- And finally the return section, it's going to be a little tight but it'll house the new Vectra I have on the way along with squeezing in my ato sensor in there too.
- The crazy raised pieces and the section you see underneath the right side is actually my RO tank!! Completely out of the way and about 35l! I'm really happy with this little gem on the sump! Easily fits a tunze ro pump and will be blacked out with acrylic. It's going to be so awesome to have that section hidden away and easy to access!

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/24/2016, 04:19 AM   #163
glaukos
Registered Member

nice sump bud
Will you be using socks?

Unread 07/24/2016, 04:26 AM   #164
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaukos View Post
nice sump bud
Will you be using socks?
Thanks Mike!
Yep, not 24/7 but every so often

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/24/2016, 04:39 AM   #165
glaukos
Registered Member

That's a good plan mate,they get "cloged" so you have to change/clean them every 2-3 days and that's a lot of trouble

Unread 07/25/2016, 01:34 AM   #166
FloformAustria
Registered Member

that is one killer sump my friend!!

canīt wait to see it plugged in

^Austrian Reef Club^

Unread 07/25/2016, 02:37 AM   #167
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaukos View Post
That's a good plan mate,they get "cloged" so you have to change/clean them every 2-3 days and that's a lot of trouble
Yeah I can't be a*s-ed changing them and washing them all the time so just when a good clean is in order

Quote:
that is one killer sump my friend!!

canīt wait to see it plugged in
It's definitely going to be a lot of fun!! Looking forward to have the little frag/acclimatisation tank underneath though should make life a lot easier for me lol

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/25/2016, 02:45 AM   #168
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Parameter update as I did another water change today
Alk: 5.04dKH (I should get on to some dosing to bring it up lol)
Nitrate: 0ppm
Phos: 0.012ppm
SG: 37ppt (already adjusted for this, will double check later again tonight)
Ammonia: 0ppm

Pretty happy with how the nutrients are going in the tank so far. Got some nice fuzz growing on the rocks and some good glass growth but I figure I've probably still got another few weeks of ugliness before things settle down and return to a pretty state lol

Tanks has been running just over 6 weeks though and I'm very much getting ready to add some new and colourful fishie friends I did make a slight change to my plans of stocking the tank too lol instead of opting for a few flashers of the same species, I'm now going to get the following three for a nice mix:
- Paracheilinus carpenteri (Carpenter's Flasher)
- Paracheilinus filamentosus (Filamented Flasher)
- Paracheilinus attenuatus (Diamond Tail Flasher)

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/25/2016, 04:14 AM   #169
plyle02
Registered Member

Dang Dom,
That sump is something else mate! I wish I lived there, they do awesome work, would love to get myself something custom like that Really awesome, I cannot wait to see this beauty in action! Cheers

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2016, 01:12 AM   #170
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
Dang Dom,
That sump is something else mate! I wish I lived there, they do awesome work, would love to get myself something custom like that Really awesome, I cannot wait to see this beauty in action! Cheers
Thanks Perry it's so cool and will be so much fun to have and run! I can't wait either!

Also looks like no tinkeri or mitratus they're over $1k so a little out of my price range!
Looks like I might be getting burgessi instead as they'll be a little less and hopefully not exorbitant lol

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/26/2016, 06:39 PM   #171
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Playing with the fish list again lol Yes the tank will be heavily stocked but with a metre of space I'm looking forward to some bustling movement!
- Halichoeres melasmapomus (Earmuff Wrasse) (in tank already)
- A pair of captive bred gramma loreto (Royal Gramma's)
- Any species of liopropoma I can get! lol
- A pair of wetmorella albofasciata (White Bar Possum Wrasse)
- Paracheilinus carpenteri (Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse)
- Anampses lennardi (Lennardi Wrasse)
- Chaetodon burgessi as tinkeri and mitratus are too expensive

Should make for a nice kickass tank methinks

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/27/2016, 12:43 AM   #172
slin1977
Registered Member

Quote:
Playing with the fish list again lol Yes the tank will be heavily stocked but with a metre of space I'm looking forward to some bustling movement!
- Halichoeres melasmapomus (Earmuff Wrasse) (in tank already)
- A pair of captive bred gramma loreto (Royal Gramma's)
- Any species of liopropoma I can get! lol
- A pair of wetmorella albofasciata (White Bar Possum Wrasse)
- Paracheilinus carpenteri (Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse)
- Anampses lennardi (Lennardi Wrasse)
- Chaetodon burgessi as tinkeri and mitratus are too expensive

Should make for a nice kickass tank methinks
No room left for a goldfish?

Unread 07/27/2016, 01:57 AM   #173
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slin1977 View Post
No room left for a goldfish?
No room for goldies I might be able to squeeze a few neon tetras in there though

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/27/2016, 09:14 AM   #174
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Quote:
No room for goldies I might be able to squeeze a few neon tetras in there though
Yes! I know it's probably lame to most of you but I would totally just have about 100 neon tetras in my tank if that were possible, I love the effect a bunch of small fish like tetras give a tank, it makes the tank look much larger. Too bad A. parvulus aren't the same price as a tetra and as easily cared for.

My 80g: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2677031
joshky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2016, 07:41 PM   #175
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Yes! I know it's probably lame to most of you but I would totally just have about 100 neon tetras in my tank if that were possible, I love the effect a bunch of small fish like tetras give a tank, it makes the tank look much larger. Too bad A. parvulus aren't the same price as a tetra and as easily cared for.
Are you kidding, neon tetras are awesome!! lol I've always loved them and having a massive *** shoal of them would look amazing!
Not easily cared for at all unfortunately lol and I haven't seen any come up in a very long time too! Some of the other cardinals are great though

Courtesy of Nils: