Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/20/2017, 04:46 PM   #126
Blink2824
Registered Member

Well, i've got an insane GHA outbreak. My hypothesis is the problem is three-fold: 1) too much natural daylight (I need new window treatments, BAD!). 2) Went for too long without running GFO (switched from my lifereef filter cylinders to the BRS reactor and I went without carbon and GFO for a little over a month. 3) My pukani base rock I added in with my live rock from the 75 gallon tank I transferred over is leeching some serious phosphates.

I went ahead and manually removed as much of the GHA as I can by siphoning and scrubbing rocks/frags. I replaced the GFO with fresh after testing the phosphates came back at .1 but i'm sure they are bound up in the GHA. I removed any GHA from the refugium as I think some of it had come free and ended up getting shot into the display tank to continue spreading. Just going to go with a tumbling ball of chaeto and my mangroves. I cleaned any detritus out of the sump and the filter pads. I did a 30% water change and now going lights out for two days.

I am getting estimates on window treatments and contemplating if I should throw a blanket over the windows in the meantime. The wife might need some convincing on this...

I can't stand an ugly display. Must. Win. Battle.

In the meantime I realized I have taken a special liking to shrooms and grabbed some cool discomosa and rhodactis. Should be here later this week!

Blink2824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2017, 04:54 PM   #127
Braves95
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
SC Sells a cover for $25. I have it but need to change my return plumbing to fit it.

I have mine covering my gap so my T5 are perhaps 6 inches fromt he water. Only concern I have is that I have to wipe splash shield a bit more.

The money needs of the little one never ends. Daycare, diapers, toys, clothes, activities.... I am at age 3 now and spending more a month then I did when she was new.

Look into the tunze care magnet. You can go right down into the sand should you wish the way it is designed.

Congrats on the little one.
The tunze care magnet is great. It also has a SS blade that is replaceable

Braves95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2017, 04:58 PM   #128
Blink2824
Registered Member

Unread 03/01/2017, 08:01 PM   #129
texdoc77
Registered Member

so did you see the lineatus today?

Current Tank Info: Currently Rebuilding
texdoc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2017, 08:36 PM   #130
Blink2824
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdoc77 View Post
so did you see the lineatus today?

Nope, I've been tied up on a work trip. I always like looking on DD but my tank is pretty well stocked for the time being. Was it as special as the one you snagged?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 03/01/2017, 08:37 PM   #131
texdoc77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink2824 View Post
Nope, I've been tied up on a work trip. I always like looking on DD but my tank is pretty well stocked for the time being. Was it as special as the one you snagged?!

Yeah, it was nice!!

Unread 03/11/2017, 06:00 PM   #132
Blink2824
Registered Member

I couldn't resist. Welcome home Master Scolymia

Tank is doing better. GHA is under control and should be completely eliminated from the DT in about two weeks. BTA split three times and I sold them but one hopped across to another rock and now I have to catch him before he stings my SPS. I'm thinking about changing up the middle-right side of my tanks aquascape...

Unread 03/11/2017, 06:50 PM   #133
soulpatch
Registered Member

NICE piece Blink. I like the saturated colors

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 08:35 AM   #134
Blink2824
Registered Member

Well... this ongoing battle with GHA in the display is dragging on. Some manual removal, WC's, beefed up CUC, the added chaeto in the fuge, a temporary blanket over the window to block out sunlight and fresh GFO has greatly helped slow/stop any more of the GHA growth but there are areas at the base of some of my SPS that I just can't reach and it continues to bother the sticks. I'm pondering if I should jump into one dose of Fluconazole to try and completely finish the fight. A lot of what I have read indicated zero ill effects on corals and inhabitants... so this is tempting me.

During the manual removal process I re-scaped the middle and right side of the tank and I am much happier with the layout. It will provide added surface area for coral placement and growth and also more caves and homes for the fishes, win-win.

I'm going to ponder my GHA woes for a bit more and let the CUC do some more work to see where things go...then possibly take next steps.

Unread 03/20/2017, 08:40 AM   #135
soulpatch
Registered Member

I have seen more and more on the use of fluconazole and honestly I would probably go that route as opposed to peroxide should I need in the future. Dont have to dip or remove anything for it to work and you basically dose once.

Now if only it worked for bubble algae....

Unread 03/20/2017, 01:52 PM   #136
texdoc77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
I have seen more and more on the use of fluconazole and honestly I would probably go that route as opposed to peroxide should I need in the future. Dont have to dip or remove anything for it to work and you basically dose once.

Now if only it worked for bubble algae....
So oddly enough I did quite a bit of reading about the mechanism of action for fluconazole and why it might be helpful for algae and safe for fish this last weekend. It evidently affects the cytochrome P450 enzymes that are specific for fungi and not for animals. The closeness in proximity for fungus also makes certain types of GHA susceptible for using fluconazole. I had GHA, bryopsis and bubble algae and the peroxide dip was just what the Dr. ordered, but if I began to have issues with just GHA again, I would opt for fluconazole as well.

Unread 03/20/2017, 01:57 PM   #137
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdoc77 View Post
So oddly enough I did quite a bit of reading about the mechanism of action for fluconazole and why it might be helpful for algae and safe for fish this last weekend. It evidently affects the cytochrome P450 enzymes that are specific for fungi and not for animals. The closeness in proximity for fungus also makes certain types of GHA susceptible for using fluconazole. I had GHA, bryopsis and bubble algae and the peroxide dip was just what the Dr. ordered, but if I began to have issues with just GHA again, I would opt for fluconazole as well.
I'm currently on Vibrant for my bubble algae. I do find it weird that fluconazole doesn't seem to impact bubble algae at all. I dont know what to make of it but from all accounts it wont touch bubble algae. I hate this algae. I can dealw ith most other items as they are easily treated but bubble is such a pain...

Unread 03/20/2017, 03:40 PM   #138
Blink2824
Registered Member

I concur. I've been letting the bubble algae do its thing in the refugium with hopes the two emerald crabs I dropped in the DT would eradicate it. I manually plucked quite a bit and was careful not to pop them. I think I read somewhere that popping them helps it spread? Anyway, I'm going on three months with the crabs, got lots of bubble algae in the fuge... and I still see bubble algae in the DT- but I don't see the bubble algae increasing. Maaayyyyybe I would venture to say it's gotten better but I'm holding out just yet. Hopefully I will watch it go away with time... I ordered the flucanazole and will begin treatment in about a week. I will post progress and before/after pics

Unread 03/20/2017, 04:30 PM   #139
soulpatch
Registered Member

Bubble algae spreads by releasing spores when popped. Leaving in your fuge will continue to have them send spores to your dt and infest it. I would try to eradicate from sump

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Unread 03/20/2017, 06:39 PM   #140
Blink2824
Registered Member

Thanks Soulpatch. Looks like my to do list keeps getting bigger!

Unread 03/23/2017, 09:52 AM   #141
texdoc77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink2824 View Post
Thanks Soulpatch. Looks like my to do list keeps getting bigger!

Out of curiosity with is your camera/lens set up, I really like the pix of your corals and am getting into the macro game a bit more...

Unread 04/07/2017, 06:53 PM   #142
Blink2824
Registered Member

Flucanazole and it's affect on my GHA. Top pic is day 1 of treatment. Bottom pic is day 13. So far I'm thoroughly impressed with the results. Some SPS getting mad at the higher nitrates and phosphates but I'll bring them back around. Stay tuned-

Unread 04/12/2017, 03:39 PM   #143
Blink2824
Registered Member

Day 20 of Flucanazole treatment. 30% water change and carbon/GFO back online. So happy my tank is algae free again!

Unread 04/12/2017, 06:18 PM   #144
soulpatch
Registered Member

Looking great Blink. I really wish I had GHA or something as opposed to bubble so I could go with this or peroxide to easily treat. Bubble just doesn't respond to peroxide the same way....

Unread 04/14/2017, 02:13 PM   #145
gutokoro
Registered Member

Does this treatment kills the chaetos on the refugiam too?

gutokoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2017, 08:15 PM   #146
Blink2824
Registered Member

No. My Chaeto is unaffected

Unread 04/26/2017, 03:50 PM   #147
Blink2824
Registered Member

Well... the 21 day treatment of Fluconazole completely eradicated my green hair algae (which was quite honestly more greenish brown looking than your typical GHA). However, I did have a nice spike in nitrates and phosphates which I believe led to multiple SPS frags recessing and completely dying on me. I'll be honest, I did not test my water params multiple times through the 21 day treatment... I just tested in the beginning and in the end. Alk increase from 8.2 to 9dkh, nitrates increased from 2ppm to 12-15ppm, and phosphate from .02 increasing to .2 ... Definitely bums me out when things like the stellar stylo, strawberry shortcake, hawkins echinata, and red planet go out the window after a solid 4-6 months of growth. I did learn a lesson in all of this, and that is "achieving the right balance." Every tank is different depending on coral and fish load but I have found that I was contributing to the nutrient load and have since cut it back with reducing the light period by an hour, a slightly "wetter" skim, a slightly ramped up flow pattern and less feeding for both the fishes and coral. I found reefroids to bring out a great feeding response in my coral but twice a week was too much in my opinion and have since cut it back to one broadcast feeding a week, sometimes skipping a week. Things are looking much better overall and starting to balance back out, so all is well. I am just going to monitor my alk/ca/mg levels over the coming weeks and source a bunch of new SPS frags from some awesome local reefers in the near future. At least I can keep my jawbreakers alive! Momma JB had three babies and the addiction is real.

Happy Reefing-

Unread 04/26/2017, 04:01 PM   #148
Blink2824
Registered Member

Last edited by Blink2824; 04/26/2017 at 04:06 PM.
Unread 04/26/2017, 04:07 PM   #149
Blink2824
Registered Member

Left Side

Middle

Right Side

Unread 10/27/2017, 04:21 PM   #150
hollow6210
Registered Member

Blink,
I don't remember reading it, but why did you go with a basement refugium/sump vs. one beneath the tank? I've been planning for a 400G tank in the forever home (yet to be built) and considered this, but after doing the math on the return pump electricity cost, I figured it was too cost prohibitive. Like the tank though.

Michael

hollow6210 is offline   Reply With Quote