Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/25/2016, 10:52 PM   #476
Weapons462
Registered Member

I am getting back into the hobby after12 yrs. I am starting with an IM Abyss Peninsula. Its 20 gal and 17" deep at the deep end. I was thinking of using the Kessil or AI Prime. I do wish to do some sps down the road when everything is well established. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Weapons462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2017, 10:10 PM   #477
Tbone33
Registered Member

Exclamation Opinion With lights $300 under

I am looking to update my lighting system.

I currently have Current Orbit Marine LED Ramp Timer Pro-- realized this is not great for growing corals now...

I have... 39 gal. bowfront tank roughly 21"x32"
3 leather corals
and 3 soft corals (and my main focus are into Soft corals)

this tank has been set up for over 2 years now and it haven't shown significant amount of growth throughout the tank....

The upgrade I was looking for under a budget was the Current USA orbit IC LED-Loop 24"-36" comes with the free wave power head
Watts 27 RGBW LED---6 what does this mean?

-What is your opinion of this Light?
-Any other lighting I can look into?

Tbone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2017, 10:14 PM   #478
Tbone33
Registered Member

21" is the Depth of the tank and 32" is the width

Tbone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2017, 08:19 AM   #479
shellsea
Registered Member

Reefbreeders on my 120. Very happy with them.

Unread 03/24/2017, 12:00 PM   #480
mchammer
Registered Member

I've been looking at LED lights for my 120 gallon SPS tank. After reading the boards the past month or so, I noticed several people giving high praise to the Reefbreeder lights. I don't know how many of the users of this light have SPS corals but I would like to know their results or opinions. Also does the 48" lights cover front to back on a 48" x 24" x 24" tank.

Thank you in advance

mchammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2017, 07:05 PM   #481
MikRose
Registered Member

Exclamation Help!!!!!!!

I'm very confused! I had a light on my aquarium but now I am wanting to get more corals and need new ones. I liked the light I had but need LEDs. I don't like the gooseneck lamps, (Kessil,) and need a hood style, (or clip-on.)

MikRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2017, 04:12 PM   #482
Smokey Stover
Registered Member

I have 2 AI Prime HD's and apparently I'm not smart enough to get them to connect with my home PC (Windows 10) Their (AI)Customer Service Support is non existant! I really need to talk to a live person to help walk me through it. I did connect them to my tablet, (Dont want to pollute my phone) Maybe thats why, Since they're already connected they don't flash Blue/Green like they're looking for a network. IDK I'm too old for this kind of headache. I'm thinking I'll return them or sell them and find a better alternative. Any suggestions, tips, or clues appreciated.

Edit: FYI The myai App does not get very good reviews on Playstore, If only I had seen that first lol.

Last edited by Smokey Stover; 04/10/2017 at 04:35 PM. Reason: add on
Smokey Stover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2017, 06:23 AM   #483
Smokey Stover
Registered Member

Well I did get some help from AI and now have control of lights from my PC. So I just need to find some decent "Presets" to download. I'm sure I read in here that, That is possible. Where and how IDK lol.

Smokey Stover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2017, 06:29 PM   #484
fotoreceptor
Registered Member

Hi folks. Im a Canadian new to the hobby and have been reading alot about LED lighting recently. I need some advice regarding my current setup.

I am in the market for LED lighting for current FOWLR tank. The plan is to move towards some heartier corals down the road. I want to get proper lighting that sets me up for where the hobby takes me.

Tank is 87" long, 32" wide and 32" deep. It is built into hallway, so top is covered and I have lots of room on how to hang the lights. I currently have some old 2 bulb T5's running the length of the aquarium on a glass lid. I know i have it greatly under lighted but Im just getting started and think it looks pretty decent to me. I know the LEDs will be WAY better and do have some bells and whistles (sunrise/sunset, multiple channels, etc) that I would like to have. Its not all about growing corals, right!?

Everything on this tank has been a struggle to keep costs in check, and this includes lighting. Ive been following a few threads about lighting and we do have the more reasonably priced Evergrow brand available in Canada. Ron and others had commented on this brand being of good construction and well priced for what you get.

My question is, with the size of tank that I have, is it ok to have LED lights running down center of 32" wide aquarium or is it better to have a few small units running side to side to light more of the edge??

The lights im looking at are Evergrow Aquaocean IT (3w and 5w) or just the Evergrow IT (3w).

Thoughts?

fotoreceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2017, 12:37 AM   #485
fotoreceptor
Registered Member

Help with LED lighting arrangement

Hi folks. Im a Canadian new to the hobby and have been reading alot about LED lighting recently. I need some advice regarding my current setup.

I am in the market for LED lighting for current FOWLR tank. The plan is to move towards some heartier corals down the road. I want to get proper lighting that sets me up for where the hobby takes me.

Tank is 87" long, 32" wide and 32" deep. It is built into hallway, so top is covered and I have lots of room to hang the lights and no concern what they look like. I currently have some old 2 bulb T5's running the length of the aquarium on a glass lid. I know i have it greatly under lighted but Im just getting started and think it looks pretty decent to me for FOWLR. I know the LEDs will be WAY better and I do want to have some bells and whistles (sunrise/sunset, multiple channels, etc) that would make the whole thing alot better.

Everything on this tank has been a struggle to keep costs in check, and this includes lighting. Ive been following a few threads about lighting and we do have the more reasonably priced Evergrow brand available in Canada. Ron and others had commented on this brand being of good construction and well priced for what you get.

My question is, with the size of tank that I have, is it ok to have LED lights running down center of 32" wide aquarium or is it better to have a few small units running side to side to light more of the edge??

The lights im looking at are Evergrow Aquaocean IT (3w and 5w LED) or just the Evergrow IT (3w). I know height of lights will affect penetration to bottom of 32" and would appreate your thoughts on best setup.

Help!

Unread 04/19/2017, 12:38 AM   #486
fotoreceptor
Registered Member

sorry. trying to set new thread. newbie!

Unread 10/26/2017, 02:15 PM   #487
Larryrick1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odj22sailor View Post
I have started building a 90 gal Reef display w/100 gallon sump in the basement. I'm looking for recommendations for lighting. I am asking what would you get, the price not being an issue....Display is 48x18x21 and sump is 50 gal Stock tank and 50 gal cryptic.
I would get three Kessil A360Wes with a controller, spaced evenly over the tank or two Kessil A360We flanked on each side with two T5's, if you have a center brace on your aquarium.

Larryrick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 11:47 PM   #488
Freemanli
Registered Member

There is a Coral Lighting product - they claim the 400w metal halide can be replaced by 100W LED lights

Freemanli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 11:47 PM   #489
Freemanli
Registered Member

There is a Coral Lighting product - they claim the 400w metal halide can be replaced by 100W LED lights

Freemanli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2017, 08:13 PM   #490
biecacka
Registered Member

I don't buy that at all^^^^. 25% of the watts to get the same results??

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2019, 02:00 AM   #491
ledfloodlights
Registered Member

led flood lights

Another issue... Product life cycle. LED's are developing faster than computer CPU's in the 90's. Buy a pentium 2 today, and wish you had waited out for the pentium 3 a few months later. Already, the Solaris is on the 3rd version. LED's that are 3x the output of the I4 are just around th corner... led flood lights

Ill buy in when 2 things happen:

The lumen efficiency of the LED itself (no optical focusing tricks) hits 150 lumens/watt... so I can light 500g with only 200 watts of light. Yeah, Im serious, just wait and see.

And the other is a wider range of available spectrums... I cant stand the 'washed out' 20,000K look. I like my blue, dont get me wrong, but I like my daylight too. I dont want my pink birdsnest and red milli to wash out under the lack of a full spectrum.
300w led flood light

ledfloodlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2019, 08:32 AM   #492
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Fotoreceptor.
I have a 30" wide tank & with lights running down the center I wish I had gone the other way. My say would be 18 - 24" lights running front to back, as many as you need.
Mine are Reefbreeders Photon 2 & they are nice lights.

Unread 09/26/2019, 06:53 PM   #493
FloatingFish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Fotoreceptor.
I have a 30" wide tank & with lights running down the center I wish I had gone the other way. My say would be 18 - 24" lights running front to back, as many as you need.
Mine are Reefbreeders Photon 2 & they are nice lights.

I hope he figured it out by now. Because he asked the question almost 2 1/2 years ago.

Current Tank Info: None
FloatingFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led aquarium light