Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/14/2018, 09:39 PM   #76
LeJeune981
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
Update:

Skimmer is finally skimming, but at 100% pump speed, wedge pipe completely closed, and airline opened all the way. But in this setting, the whole skimmer is pretty loud.

I've already gotten new impellers and pumps from Simplicity customer service to try to figure out the noise. The latest is that the pump is totally silent, but as soon as the wedge pipe is closed and there is some backpressure, as well as air, it's loud enough to hear in the next room.

I wonder if this is normal and I'm just super sensitive, or if something else weird is going on.

Anyone have any decibel readings on their Simplicity 120? I used an iPhone decibel app and got about 61 decibels next to the skimmer. I've heard NYOS 120 users reporting 58 or 59 and saying it's completely silent otherwise.

Also, skimmer is skimming pretty wet right now, should I reduce pump speed to get it thicker?

Thanks!
Have you tried running the skimmer in deeper water?
I've got mine in 10 inches at the moment.. but will adjust to 9 or 9.5 in the near future

At 10 inches.. I can't run the pump full blast...with the drain fully open.. without a huge amount of foam over flowing...

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

LeJeune981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2018, 09:42 PM   #77
LeJeune981
Registered Member

A couple pics.. tank was filled 3 days ago.. been super cloudy ever since.. I had my power head running too..
Anyway.. plumbed the sump today and fired it all up a few hours ago

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

LeJeune981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2018, 03:48 PM   #78
anthonyamastr52
Registered Member

Hey maybe someone can help me out. I have a simplicity skimmer and was working perfect until about a few weeks ago that I had to treat my tank for ich with copper as I did not want to lose some of the fish I have in there and I'm currently only running a fish only tank. I turned off my skimmer for treatment and after about a week I turned it back on and its been bubbling like crazy from the bottom where the pump is at. Also I cant get it to Skim it constantly just over flows with foam and water. Any suggestions on what might be happening?

anthonyamastr52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2018, 12:21 PM   #79
scooter31707
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyamastr52 View Post
Hey maybe someone can help me out. I have a simplicity skimmer and was working perfect until about a few weeks ago that I had to treat my tank for ich with copper as I did not want to lose some of the fish I have in there and I'm currently only running a fish only tank. I turned off my skimmer for treatment and after about a week I turned it back on and its been bubbling like crazy from the bottom where the pump is at. Also I cant get it to Skim it constantly just over flows with foam and water. Any suggestions on what might be happening?
Will continue to be that way as long as Cooper is in the tank. Some meds make a skimmer go crazy and some don't. did you do a water change and run carbon or something to rid the cooper.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2018, 02:20 PM   #80
Joel@Simplicity
Registered Member

While I spend most of my time on a different forum I will do my best to help out with any questions folks have here. You can always catch us on the phone or email as well!

Glad to hear so many positive skimmer experiences, I really appreciate you all sharing.

Joel@Simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote