Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/14/2018, 09:20 PM   #1
reefslugs
Registered Member

What lighting should I buy?

I just bought a new tank. It's a Deep Blue reef ready tank. They are all on sale do to they are being bought out or going out of business. I bought a 65g tank that measures 36x18x24. The tank is 36'' wide, 18'' deep, and 24'' tall.

What lighting would you recommend to keep sps only tank for a tank this tall?

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 200g mixed reef, 65g sump/fugium, 4 Viporspectra LED's, Tunze 2105 x 2 with controller, Simplicity return pump & skimmer, Octopus calcium reactor, lots of love.
reefslugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2018, 10:41 PM   #2
moondoggy4
Registered Member

ATI 36 x 6 bulb tried and true.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2018, 10:45 AM   #3
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Reefbreeder's if you want LED

Unread 10/15/2018, 12:58 PM   #4
TheCamaroShow
Registered Member

radions

TheCamaroShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2018, 01:35 PM   #5
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

This is a VERY subjective question and you will get A LOT of different answers. I LOVE my Hydra 26HD and will likely use them over my 75 as well. If I was not going to use LED I would go with the good old Halide/T5 fixtures. NOTHING beats that combo IMO (if heat is not a concern).

Unread 10/15/2018, 03:53 PM   #6
cvrle1
Registered Member

For 24 inch tall tank, you can use pretty much any LED fixture that uses 3W LEDs. From something simple like Mars Aqua and Viparspectra, to something really expensive like Radions, AI and Kessil units. It all depends on what extra features you want out of the lights. In the end all of them will grow corals just the same, it's extra features that add on the cost.

cvrle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2018, 06:45 PM   #7
pisanoal
Registered Member

Easy - T5 or MH
Cool Features - radions (I gave up on the LED game a couple years ago, but never teied radions. The gen4 pros seem to be game changers for sps. Nothing I've seen comes close to their success for coloration and growth. I find myself looking at tanks that i think must be lit by T5s to find out they are actually sporting radions. Hydra HDs are ok, but not as good. I owned them at one point. Not super impressed. Kessils take too many fixtures to grow sps. Like I said, I'm not partial because i own them, just been very imoressed by the tanks ive seen that run them.

A little of both? - 4-6 T5s with some led strips or fixtures in the middle or on the edges. No need for super expensive fixtures if you do it this way. Just something that gives you the shimmer or pop you are looking for.

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2018, 04:47 AM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpsouth1978 View Post
This is a VERY subjective question and you will get A LOT of different answers.
Gosh.. what makes you say that.. Is it because so far in a handful of posts he has already been recommended just about all the available choices out there...
So far...
ATI/T5
MH
Reefbreeders
Radions
Kessils
AI
Chinese black boxes

Yep.. that just about covers most it..
Think about all thats left out is..
Orphek
Razors/Maxspect
maybe a a few more..

Looks like we have answered your question.. Should make the decision super easy.. Enjoy

Unread 10/16/2018, 05:11 AM   #9
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Gosh.. what makes you say that.. Is it because so far in a handful of posts he has already been recommended just about all the available choices out there...
So far...
ATI/T5
MH
Reefbreeders
Radions
Kessils
AI
Chinese black boxes

Yep.. that just about covers most it..
Think about all thats left out is..
Orphek
Razors/Maxspect
maybe a a few more..

Looks like we have answered your question.. Should make the decision super easy.. Enjoy
Haha

You missed DIY LEDs...

Unread 10/16/2018, 08:37 AM   #10
mattgumaer
Registered Member

To jump into the great (and never ending) lighting debate, very broadly, I think it is fair to say the following:

1) t-5s are proven and will work fine; potential disadvantages include lack of shimmer (if you want it), bulb changes and lack of control. I would think a 6 bulb t-5 fixture would grow whatever you want;

2) MH are proven and arguably still the 'gold standard' for long time, hard core SPS growers. Disadvantages are heat, bulb changes, lack of control (and possibly electricity cost);

3) more expensive LEDs- largely 'puck' style lights with multiple colors included in each 'puck' to blend colors. These lights often offer the user a crazy amount of control, which can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your perspective. Radions have a ton of control, Kessils less so. Puck style LEDs can be subject to significant variations in lighting intensity across the tank. My own rules for puck style LEDs would be: 1) hang them high; 2) get more than the 'recommended' number of fixtures; and/or 3) turn them down and supplement with t-5. A par meter is a great tool to have, particularly when setting up LEDs.

4) less expensive LEDs- typically have individual LEDs spread out over a bigger area. This is an advantage in terms of evening out light intensity but, a disadvantage in terms of color blending. They normally have less control than the expensive LEDs, which, again, can be a plus or minus depending on your perspective.

Any/all of the above can probably work so, the decision may come down to user preference, priorities and budget. Personally, I think its harder to do well with just puck style LEDs than with MH or t-5 but, I love the control they offer. My ultimate solution was to do a combination of Radions with t-5s (kept my sunrise and sunset control while evening out my light).

Matt

mattgumaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2018, 08:55 AM   #11
alton
Registered Member

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/atlan...re-orphek.html
Radion Gen 4 would be nice but you would probably need two, If you want cheap then https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-MarsAq...UDHy:rk:3:pf:0
And turn sideways. Metal Halide then Lumenbright pendant with 250w Radium lamp.
And T5 ATI is nice, like others have stated good luck with your choice

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2018, 09:35 AM   #12
Keith@ ATI NA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
ATI 36 x 6 bulb tried and true.
I like this guy

Current Tank Info: 175g mixed powered by an ATI LED Powermodule
Keith@ ATI NA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2018, 01:49 PM   #13
hkgar
Registered Member

I hate LED. Tried them and back to MH/t5.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2018, 02:44 PM   #14
kevin.st
Registered Member

any of the lights above, but make sure you save some cash for flow.

kevin.st is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2018, 02:52 PM   #15
pisanoal
Registered Member

It would also greatly help if we had some scope? Budget, goals (ie. control, ease of use, no bulb changes), temperature concerns if in warmer climate, canopy mounted, or specific mounting style preference etc.

OP: please give some information on preferences if you have any. That should greatly narrow down the recommendations.

Unread 10/16/2018, 10:34 PM   #16
reefslugs
Registered Member

light

I am really liking this information. Keep It going.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 200g mixed reef, 65g sump/fugium, 4 Viporspectra LED's, Tunze 2105 x 2 with controller, Simplicity return pump & skimmer, Octopus calcium reactor, lots of love.
reefslugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2018, 09:20 AM   #17
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefslugs View Post
I am really liking this information. Keep It going.
If you want it to "keep going" please contribute by responding to my above post. Your specific preferences are required for better recommendations.