Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 02/06/2010, 10:01 AM   #1
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Shilling and Lighting suppliers

Hi Folks,

This a warning to those in the industry that have been flagrantly violating our User Agreement and shilling (pretending to be hobbyist consumers) to promote their wares. Not only is such behavior a clear and obvious violation of the User Agreement, but is a complete misrepresentation that considered by most to be very unethical

Those involved will find some new restrictions on their accounts, as well as some posts and even threads removed. Further such violations can lead to bannation.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
Unread 02/10/2010, 02:01 PM   #2
tibob32
Registered Member

This may be controversial, but shouldn't users(read consumers) be aware of such dishonest business practices? I'd suggest making the infractions public.

Unread 02/10/2010, 03:18 PM   #3
detroit_fan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibob32 View Post
This may be controversial, but shouldn't users(read consumers) be aware of such dishonest business practices? I'd suggest making the infractions public.
Reef Central probably won't do that but i agree they should.

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home-T.Jefferson

Current Tank Info: 125g & 29g
Unread 03/10/2010, 09:33 PM   #4
Av8bluewater
Registered Member

Makes ya wonder if I got bum advice.
Thanks for the sticky.

Unread 03/18/2010, 01:07 AM   #5
Tigre9
Registered Member

I also beleive that any posts should be left on the site with a bright RED note stating that the information was posted by someone in a business related to the industry and violated the User Agreement.

That way we would know if the information read was biased.

Just my 2 cents (all I will have after big corporations take everyones money!).

Current Tank Info: Oak Stand Build (55gal Reef Disp Tank) 55gal BTA Prop Tank (1RBTA, 2GBTA, 1Sailfin, 1Six Line Wrasse, 1Red Mush, 1Frag Grey Star Polyp) 30gal Prop Tank for BTA (currently has 1Clown, 4BlueGreen Chromis, 3Peppermint Shrimp)
Unread 03/20/2010, 07:34 AM   #6
Geek
Registered Member

hang em out to dry!

Unread 03/20/2010, 10:01 AM   #7
returnofsid
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
hang em out to dry!
I totally agree. Especially since the same member, who prompted this warning, is now posting on several other reef related forums, shilling their products. Yeah, threads are being deleted on those forums as well....lol. Go get 'em RC!!

Unread 03/20/2010, 11:27 PM   #8
saltn07
Registered Member

Yeah that is a bunch of bull, people come here for honest advice not people pushing their product spewing whatever to sell it...

Unread 03/21/2010, 06:32 AM   #9
dragoneggs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnofsid View Post
I totally agree. Especially since the same member, who prompted this warning, is now posting on several other reef related forums, shilling their products. Yeah, threads are being deleted on those forums as well....lol. Go get 'em RC!!
Not to argue the shilling part, but there was a lot of great information on the RC thread... contributed by several truly independent reefers that spent their time and money to report the facts, that was ultimately deleted and lost. It helped me and I know alot of other people trying to learn about LEDs and whether to take the plunge. I am sad the info was lost but I understand and respect the forum rules.

Current Tank Info: 160XL Elos display and fish room (in progress)
Unread 03/21/2010, 06:38 AM   #10
Jeff
Registered Member

It has become common practice on the internet for people that represent themselves as consumers and leave glowing reviews for products. Buyer beware unless you trust the reviewer.

IWNFT343F

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine 20
Unread 03/21/2010, 07:51 AM   #11
dragoneggs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
It has become common practice on the internet for people that represent themselves as consumers and leave glowing reviews for products. Buyer beware unless you trust the reviewer.
Yep that is why the forum venue is great, it allow lots of opinions from all different vantage points. I am pretty sure most people who participate in forums do so because they want more than one opinion whether it is from a customer or a supplier, especially people that own and have used the product in a similar way that they intend to.

Current Tank Info: 160XL Elos display and fish room (in progress)
Unread 03/21/2010, 08:05 AM   #12
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Quote:
It's always good to search the post history of someone giving glowing reviews, it's most to all they do it is almost a definite they are a shill. Gets a little trickier when they spread themselves into other areas or pick up the commercial affiliation after they've already been a member here for awhile. Though they always seem to forget this business and hobby are fairly small and sooner later we find out who they really are

Unread 03/21/2010, 08:54 AM   #13
Jeff
Registered Member

I also think the same is true with Amazon.com and other sites that are known for reviews. On one hand, I never buy anything anymore without reading reviews, but you never really know if the reviews are done by real consumers and if the site is only posting the "good" reviews. i found this out the hard way when I bout a memory foam mattress and found it to be total crap a couple years ago.

IWNFT343F

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine 20
Unread 03/21/2010, 11:17 AM   #14
jchase1970
Registered Member

They should leave the topic posted and add a big red SPAM ALEART to it. After this was done enough these people my give up trying cause they would know that they are being singled out.

Unread 04/08/2010, 11:06 AM   #15
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsreef View Post
It's always good to search the post history of someone giving glowing reviews, it's most to all they do it is almost a definite they are a shill.
I have exposed shills and other frauds for years using this method. Problem is, it has become harder to do now that we cannot search via username!

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
Unread 05/23/2010, 11:06 PM   #16
Reefmonster
Registered Member

I have been scammed enough in my life to not rely on anyone's "glowing Review" of a product...I look for evidence that they are good products...The Tube, The net, and personal observation are usually what I use... Shame on whoever did the Shilling...too bad they weren't banned and exposed!

Current Tank Info: 55 Gal Reef. 6 SPS Colonies Countless Shrooms, Capnella, Sinularia, Sarcophyton, Cynarina, Hydnophora, Torch corals, Green Star Polyps, a nasty little mantis shrimp that loves Snails! etc... Filter: Lifereef w/ 24" Venturi Skimmer. Refugia in
Unread 06/17/2010, 11:02 AM   #17
DanMgy
Registered Member

wow I am really glad that I saw this, I replied to a post where an African prince said he would help pay for my new tank, all top of the line stuff, I just had to do give him some money so that he could transfer millions out of a bank account he had. This is bitter sweet to read ... I wanted my new tank, but now I am not going to get ripped off by that prince...

Unread 07/16/2011, 11:40 AM   #18
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Some of them never learn. Just whacked a shill for a fairly new lighting company. What a poor business model

Unread 09/13/2013, 05:38 AM   #19
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Just a reminder, this practice of shilling is still all too common. Sometimes even from long time members that have picked up commercial associations along the way and should know better.

Unread 09/14/2013, 05:27 AM   #20
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchase1970 View Post
They should leave the topic posted and add a big red SPAM ALEART to it. After this was done enough these people my give up trying cause they would know that they are being singled out.
I'd like nothing more, but we get accused of "singling people out" almost daily. Could you imagine the uproar if we actually did start to single people out?

Quote:
^^ That just needed to be said again.

Dunder Mifflin

Current Tank Info: Unknown slow drip, over 20 years damaged my house and heating system. No more tank.
Closed Thread