Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/24/2013, 04:20 PM   #1
hilgert
Excessive Minimalist

AI Hydra Settings Thread

Just got my Hydra with the new (wireless) controller, but don't have over a tank quite yet. Going through the "easy timer setup" results in some default timer settings (which is where I'll start). I am running the latest v2.20 firmware.

Starting this thread to capture how others are setting up the Hydra for various tank inhabitants.

hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2013, 10:46 AM   #2
rainman1005
Registered Member

I registered @RC just to reply to this thread. I got my Hydras last week and have started to tinker with the intensity settings for each LED. Factory settings seemed a bit purple for my taste at 80% for everything, but I've scaled back the UV and Royals a few % and it is looking better (to me). I can't find anything online that proposes a certain profile for specific inhabitants, but if I do I'll pass it on through the thread. I wanted to try close to factory settings for a while so as not to shock my tank too much after the switch from T5's.

rainman1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2013, 09:35 AM   #3
hilgert
Excessive Minimalist

I have no running experience yet with the Hyrda in action...I am still switching to a new tank from my AI Sols. However, I intend (pending the "look") to start with the "easy timer setup" option, and reduce the max to 50% for a start. If you play with "easy setup" you will see that it sets the first 6 timers for you automatically, so you can then tweak them from a good starting point.

Unread 06/27/2013, 03:42 PM   #4
rainman1005
Registered Member

OK, I have already decided that more than 60% intensity is way too much for my 90 gal. I have my Hydras hanging about 8.5" above the water line and have now reduced my whites to 45%. At this level for white the purple glow is lessened and I have set up a reverse "bell curve" so to speak, with gradually increasing intensities on both ends of the spectrum, maxing out at 55% in the UV, purple and royal blues. Stared to notice that my mushrooms were not opening as much and the fish even seemed to want to stay in the shadows more. Too bad there isn't much in the way of guidance yet for the babies! Going on 1 week now and the tank is looking real nice.

Unread 07/01/2013, 05:40 PM   #5
rainman1005
Registered Member

Hydra's +10 days

I have had these up for more than a week now. The settings I have decided are best for my 90 gal are:

White: 45%
Red: 49%
Green: 49%
Royal Blue: 55%
Deep Blue: 55%
Violet: 58%
UV: 59%

I also raised my hanging fixture up to 10" above the water line and have the lights ramp up from lunar settings at 7:30AM and ramp down again at 6:45PM with a ramp time of 1 hour.

I haven't bleached anything out yet and the way the tank looks color-wise is a good fit IMO.

Have had one of the units go offline once though and had to "re-detect" them with the controller. I hope that doesn't continue to be an issue.

So far so good, but I'd like to see something about these from another user too.

Unread 07/02/2013, 08:47 PM   #6
samindenver
Registered Member

Don't have the Hydras but have been running 3 Vegas for almost a month now in a 125g tank. Everyones needs are different depending on types of corals (I'm assuming that you have a mixed reef), bio load and placement. See if you can borrow a par meter somewhere. You can then use it to adjust you led for best results. Also don't hesitate contacting AI. They are super great and they know the lights better then anyone. I had a problem with my controller and after a couple emails, they sent me a new one before I even asked for a replacement (I thought that it was just a software problem).

samindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2013, 09:58 PM   #7
john90009
Registered Member

anyone know where the serial number on the hydra and controller are so I can register it? also when I have the controller plugged into my comp it works fine but when I I have it plugged into the wall outlet it kinda pushes its own buttons

john90009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2013, 11:48 PM   #8
carmexx
Registered Member

I believe the serial # is on the box they came in. At least that's what i used to register mine. I also have the same problem with my controller as well. Some say not to use the USB cable the controller came with. I use my USB port on my pc, keep it plugged in the back all the time, and mounted my controller right at my desk since I also have a Reefkeeper Elite controller and use their management software.

carmexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2013, 11:53 PM   #9
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

serial on AI products is on a sticker placed on the unit itself. sol and vega are that way not sure on hydra.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2013, 07:02 AM   #10
examiner
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmexx View Post
I also have the same problem with my controller as well. Some say not to use the USB cable the controller came with. I use my USB port on my pc, keep it plugged in the back all the time, and mounted my controller right at my desk since I also have a Reefkeeper Elite controller and use their management software.
It's not the cable that's the issue, it's the USB power adaptor that you plug into the wall. The one that AI ships is a POS. It works fine with your computer because the USB port on the computer is supply a steady stream of the proper voltage - the AI adaptor is not.

Replace it with one from your junk drawer from an old cell phone, etc. or go buy a cheap one at the dollar store. Your problems will be fixed.

examiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2013, 07:22 AM   #11
SomeDude12
Registered Member

Is the remote required for the Hydra? I'm getting ready to checkout on eBay for 3 of these things for my 210. I have an RK Elite & NET, I'd like to control them with. Is the remote required and can they be controlled with the RK Elite? Also, what's your thoughts on it for a 29 inch deep tank?

Current Tank Info: 210 & 125. 40Breeder/10 Fish QT & 20Long/10 Coral & Invert QT. 24/7 - 365, QT's.

Last edited by SomeDude12; 07/03/2013 at 07:32 AM.
SomeDude12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2013, 08:35 AM   #12
john90009
Registered Member

ah aight thanks for the wire issue fix- thought I was gonna have to send it back. and for the serial number - I don't see anywhere on the box or the unit that says serial number:################### like the sols did

john90009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2013, 08:39 AM   #13
SomeDude12
Registered Member

Just purchased 3 Hydra's, the remote & 2 18" rails from Salty Supply's eBay store.

Current Tank Info: 210 & 125. 40Breeder/10 Fish QT & 20Long/10 Coral & Invert QT. 24/7 - 365, QT's.
SomeDude12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2013, 03:07 PM   #14
liquidfunk
Premium Member

I dont have Hydras either, but the controller is the same. The acclimation settings are awesome. You can set your final color and power you want then set a reduction in power and time frame, the controller will automatically increase the intensity day by day until you reach your set numbers. Works awesome and you dont have to fuss with your settings all the time. Consistency is key!

Unread 07/04/2013, 07:06 AM   #15
carmexx
Registered Member

If you are asking about the wireless adapter, the answer is no, you don't need the adapter as the hydras have built in wireless capability. As far as the RKE goes I shot them an email and they said the RKE doesn't support the hydra. I had my sols on the RKE with the ALC adapter and i didn't like the fact that I could only control 2 channels (both blues/white) not 3 separate (ryb/b/w). I am gonna do away with my ALC module and use the AI controller. It has way more control.

Unread 07/04/2013, 07:07 AM   #16
carmexx
Registered Member

Oh I meant that i'm gonna use the controller (AI wireless) for my hydra's, not the RKE.

Unread 07/04/2013, 07:26 AM   #17
ReeferBill
Registered Member

I think this is the best light out their right now for the money.I saw one being at Tanks Alot on Lantana Road in Florida,Great color and intensity.Definitly my next purchase!Can someone Please post a picture of theirs on their set up?

Unread 07/10/2013, 04:20 PM   #18
yangabanga
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude12 View Post
Just purchased 3 Hydra's, the remote & 2 18" rails from Salty Supply's eBay store.
did you get an answer as to whether you need the remote or not? seems to me that if you can program these on your PC then you really dont need the remote other than to show off to your friends!

yangabanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2013, 04:21 PM   #19
yangabanga
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman1005 View Post
I have had these up for more than a week now. The settings I have decided are best for my 90 gal are:

White: 45%
Red: 49%
Green: 49%
Royal Blue: 55%
Deep Blue: 55%
Violet: 58%
UV: 59%

I also raised my hanging fixture up to 10" above the water line and have the lights ramp up from lunar settings at 7:30AM and ramp down again at 6:45PM with a ramp time of 1 hour.

I haven't bleached anything out yet and the way the tank looks color-wise is a good fit IMO.

Have had one of the units go offline once though and had to "re-detect" them with the controller. I hope that doesn't continue to be an issue.

So far so good, but I'd like to see something about these from another user too.
Ive got a 90 gal too (48" long) and am thinking about these. how do you have yours mounted?

yangabanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2013, 08:42 AM   #20
examiner
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangabanga View Post
did you get an answer as to whether you need the remote or not? seems to me that if you can program these on your PC then you really dont need the remote other than to show off to your friends!
You need the remote (or the yet unreleased Director). At the present time, you can't control them or program them from a PC. That ability is promised "soon" via the Director.

Without the remote, all you can currently do is run the lights at a few preset percentages (like 75%, 50%, etc.). No ramp up/down, no control of individual color channels, you'll need to buy an external timer and it'll just pop on and off, etc. Would kinda be like buying a sports car and having the dealership modify it so it wouldn't go faster than 40mph.

So yes, unless you are willing to sit back and wait for the long promised Director program to actually be released, you need to budget for the purchase of a controller also.

examiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2013, 09:28 AM   #21
hilgert
Excessive Minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman1005 View Post
What firmware version are you on? They just released v2.22 with some Hydra fixes (not specified what they fixed). Note that when you install the update, the controller may ask if you want to update Hydra firmware as well (pretty cool actually).

How many lights to you have on your 90?

Unread 07/11/2013, 11:23 AM   #22
Yarm79
Registered Member

I ordered 3 + controller + 6ft hanging rail plus legs
Will be here tomorrow morning
Don't want to wish my life away but ill want tomorrow afternoon to fly so I can get home and set them up
Changing from 6 ATI 80 watt so hoping for a massive difference on the coral colour
I spoke to the uk sales manager for these
He advises anyone to run them at 45% when new and ramp up over a few months
He said you can't appreciate with the human eye the amount of light the corals get even though they seem darker than T5 he said a lot of people take no notice and damage the corals

Yarm79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2013, 11:38 AM   #23
malady
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert View Post
What firmware version are you on? They just released v2.22 with some Hydra fixes (not specified what they fixed). Note that when you install the update, the controller may ask if you want to update Hydra firmware as well (pretty cool actually).

How many lights to you have on your 90?
yeah I noticed that!

I was a little taken back that it was updating it self since I thought I already updated the firmware.. then I realized that it was updating the light

pretty awesome updates if you ask me and everything has been working perfectly so far...now I wonder If my beta director will have hydra control on it

malady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2013, 04:29 PM   #24
liquidfunk
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malady View Post
I wonder If my beta director will have hydra control on it
It shows it on their page, so IM sure it will.
http://www.aquaillumination.com/director/

Unread 07/28/2013, 06:59 PM   #25
mooser16
Registered Member

just curious to see what people are setting there hydras to. I have had mine for a few days and keep tinkering with them. anybody use the region settings if so what one? and what are your max intensities for each color?

mooser16 is offline   Reply With Quote