Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/03/2013, 12:43 PM   #26
DJ Liquid
Registered Member

Same here

DJ Liquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2013, 02:23 PM   #27
jcs11236
Registered Member

I just mine a few days ago. Looking good so far. I had leds on my nano before but they were non dimmable. They dont compare. The colors with the hydra are awesome. Still playing with setting

jcs11236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2013, 05:08 PM   #28
hilgert
Excessive Minimalist

So, I've finally got mine going on the main tank. I started with the "easy setup", and initially reduced everything to 50%. I like the additional colors...really rounds out the look in the tank. I tend to like less blue than most folks (blue tanks do not look natural to me), so I reduced the blues a bit, and upped the red and white. Once my tank stabilizes, and I settle in on settings, I'll post my settings.

Using the "easy setup" is the way to go initially...don't waste time figuring out everything at first. Easy setup sets up various timers for you nicely...then you can tweak from there alter on.

I have to say these are a huge improvement over the Sols, and really better anything I've seen out there in this price range. Very happy I made the switch. I also REALLY like the ability to "test run" the schedule with the new controller.

hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2013, 10:46 PM   #29
rainman1005
Registered Member

I used a slotted shelf from Lowe's that was part of a bedroom closet "collection" so that I could adjust the distance from the wall without making a hole in the shelf. My ceiling was way too high to hang them from it directly and the "feet" that are available for on the tank mounting are too short IMO. Here's a couple of phone pics from the first week....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 116.jpg (55.3 KB, 1089 views)
File Type: jpg 050.jpg (50.7 KB, 877 views)
rainman1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2013, 07:49 AM   #30
kc350twin
Registered Member

Any updates? Not a lot of info n these lights.

Unread 08/11/2013, 09:48 AM   #31
stpatrick
Registered Member

tagging alone here

stpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2013, 07:05 PM   #32
Twostepper4041
Registered Member

I just put mine over my tank 3 days ago. 2 hydras over a 65 tall.
I'm coming from 2 36 panorama actinics and 1 36 marine... I can't figure the right settings on the color.... I'm afraid of bleaching because I don't know how much more power these have over the panoramas. Also my tank has gotten cloudy.... Bacterial bloom from the red and greens? My fish hate the uv... So turned it way down.... I'm use to so much blue with the 36 actinics.... Even with my white almost non existent, I can't seem to get good color.... I'm sure it's my settings.... Help

Twostepper4041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2013, 09:27 PM   #33
DJ Liquid
Registered Member

I have two hydra's over my 75 gallon SeaClear System II acrylic...these settings I got off of youtube- Zack Guevara's tank...I like these the best so far...lights running for 2 weeks now-

25% White
15% Deep Red & Green
50% Deep Blue, UV, Violet, Royal Blue
Moonlight is 6% UV and 1% Royal Blue (recommended by AI support staff the UV that is...I just added the 1% RB) mounted 10 inches above horizontally.
Ramp time 2 hours 10AM to 10PM

Last edited by DJ Liquid; 08/11/2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: missing info
Unread 08/11/2013, 10:50 PM   #34
hilgert
Excessive Minimalist

FYI...controller version 2.30 out. Does not appear to have anything specific to Hyrdas.

http://support.aquaillumination.com/home

Unread 08/12/2013, 06:11 AM   #35
cobmo
Registered Member

Hi all!
I got my Vegas over my 72 gallon tank for eight weeks now and I'm pretty satisfied. Yet, I'm not sure how to set the timers, consequently I went with easy setup. The internet lacks detailed information about timer settings for Vega & Hydra. Nevertheless AI Sol is well documented.
Here's a photo of my new tank with settings as follows:
white: 45
green/red 50
all blues at 55

Mounting:

... and I'm still looking for the perfect color.

cobmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2013, 04:37 PM   #36
rrocky
Registered Member

Just got my hydra! Can't wait to join in this...subscribed

rrocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2013, 07:12 PM   #37
Twostepper4041
Registered Member

Dialed lights way down today, and water cleared up....

Uv light is still causing the fish to hide

Wonder why AI recommended the uv in the moonlight?

Unread 08/12/2013, 08:06 PM   #38
Bpham80
Registered Member

Jumping in on this thread buying a hydra tomorrow. Any suggestions on how many I will need nits a 93 gallon cube 30x30x24(deep)?

Bpham80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2013, 08:16 PM   #39
hilgert
Excessive Minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpham80 View Post
Jumping in on this thread buying a hydra tomorrow. Any suggestions on how many I will need nits a 93 gallon cube 30x30x24(deep)?
I've got that same tank....corner overflow, right? Right now I am trying just one Hydra. Cubes are really hard to light properly. The problem is not the front-to-back...it's the diagonal.

Light output is no issue...it's shadows. In my tank I going for a flatter look (not the typical routine "wall of rock"), so I do t have an issue thus far...but I have another Hydra ready just in case. As this is a new tank I don't want to fry any critters, so I'll see how it goes with one, and add the second if needed for shadow control.

Unread 08/12/2013, 08:26 PM   #40
Bpham80
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert View Post
I've got that same tank....corner overflow, right? Right now I am trying just one Hydra. Cubes are really hard to light properly. The problem is not the front-to-back...it's the diagonal.

Light output is no issue...it's shadows. In my tank I going for a flatter look (not the typical routine "wall of rock"), so I do t have an issue thus far...but I have another Hydra ready just in case. As this is a new tank I don't want to fry any critters, so I'll see how it goes with one, and add the second if needed for shadow control.
Im hoping to only need one. I have a backup light just in case. But it is a corner over flow do most my coral and rocks work will be aqua scaped in the middle

Unread 08/12/2013, 08:44 PM   #41
Twostepper4041
Registered Member

Keep it horizontal and you will be fine.

Unread 08/12/2013, 09:33 PM   #42
DJ Liquid
Registered Member

15% White
40% Deep Red & Green
45% UV
50% Deep Blue, Violet, Royal Blue
Moonlight is 3% UV and 1% Royal Blue and 1% Violet(recommended by AI support staff the UV that is...I just added the 1% RB and Violet now) mounted 10 inches above horizontally.
Ramp time 1 hour 100 PM to 11PM (in dark room uneffected by ambient sun light)

Last edited by DJ Liquid; 08/12/2013 at 09:46 PM.
Unread 08/12/2013, 11:15 PM   #43
malady
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Liquid View Post
15% White
40% Deep Red & Green
45% UV
50% Deep Blue, Violet, Royal Blue
Moonlight is 3% UV and 1% Royal Blue and 1% Violet(recommended by AI support staff the UV that is...I just added the 1% RB and Violet now) mounted 10 inches above horizontally.
Ramp time 1 hour 100 PM to 11PM (in dark room uneffected by ambient sun light)
I always just used royal blue for moonlights

I don't think 1% of any color will make a difference really maybe its purely for aesthetics though( but I am still going to try it lol)

malady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2013, 10:16 AM   #44
rdog
Registered Member

Thinking about ordering the Hydra, was gonna order the Radion gen 2 but started ready about the Hydra. Do you think the Radion is worth the extra money? Don't have SPS and most likely wont anytime soon. I saw people were comparing the Radion pros against the Hydra but nothing with the gen 2 vs the hydra. Any thoughts? Thanks

rdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2013, 11:37 AM   #45
Bpham80
Registered Member

Just spoke with owner of LFS ordered new tank, hydra fixture and controller. In speaking with him he had an open box mazspectra for 470, it's a 24" fixture BUT it has no UV and doesn't compare to controls of the AI. So I don't think the extra money means your get.ting a better light, your just spending more money! FYI there is a new firmware update so now on top of all you can do with the AI fixtures you can program it to mimic your local weather forecasts! Probably pointless but still an awesome feature

Unread 08/13/2013, 01:50 PM   #46
DJ Liquid
Registered Member

The local weather mimic/feature is cool I have to admit...

Unread 08/13/2013, 03:41 PM   #47
Sonicboom
Addicted to salt

I was a preorder on the Hyrdas, started with them at 45% across the board, now im at 55% across the board with UV at 60% and favor whites. storms enabled with lightning off after finding my clown in the overflow twice. other than that the lights are fantastic, should be ordering another in a week or so.

Current Tank Info: 180 Aqueon RR / SRO3000Int / BLDC15 / TriggerSys custom Sump / AI Hydra 52 and Hydra 26
Sonicboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2013, 06:51 PM   #48
Bpham80
Registered Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicboom View Post
I was a preorder on the Hyrdas, started with them at 45% across the board, now im at 55% across the board with UV at 60% and favor whites. storms enabled with lightning off after finding my clown in the overflow twice. other than that the lights are fantastic, should be ordering another in a week or so.
Is it true that one of the programs is an acclimation program? That would be awesome since I'm not super tech savvy and a bit worried anything other then the preset programs may screw me up!

Unread 08/13/2013, 06:55 PM   #49
Bpham80
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert View Post

Sorry forgot to answer you. Yes it is the corner over flow model. Did you(or anyone) happen to buy the stand for it made by marineland. It's 30 inches high, but I really need to know the inside dimensions. Looked on marinelands website and the "Q & A" makes no sense. In one question they tell the person the height is 26.50" BUT in another question they tell the person the inside dimension is 28.88" in height, so the inside is higher then the outside!

Unread 08/13/2013, 07:12 PM   #50
Sonicboom
Addicted to salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpham80 View Post
Is it true that one of the programs is an acclimation program? That would be some since I'm not super tech savvy and a bit worried anything other then the preset programs may screw me up!
Yes there is a coral acclimation setting, you can tell it how many weeks to run and it increases the output accordingly.

Current Tank Info: 180 Aqueon RR / SRO3000Int / BLDC15 / TriggerSys custom Sump / AI Hydra 52 and Hydra 26
Sonicboom is offline   Reply With Quote