Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/25/2018, 02:11 PM   #5251
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurry View Post
What is this "2 finger pinch move" you speak of? Please share! I also hate the app and interface. Especially with fat thumbs, it's a little difficult. I wish there was somewhere to manually input the time ranges and intensities so it was exactly when you want.
You can use 2 fingers on the screen to change ALL intensities/times at once. just touch 2 fingers to the screen while in your schedule, then slide them up or down to change the intensity, or side to side to change times. This will adjust the entire schedule at once without changing the spectrum.

I find that the web interface is easier to use with "fat thumbs". I will use it when making a lot of changes, and it is the only way to upload preset programs.

Unread 09/26/2018, 10:13 AM   #5252
Scurry
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpsouth1978 View Post
You can use 2 fingers on the screen to change ALL intensities/times at once. just touch 2 fingers to the screen while in your schedule, then slide them up or down to change the intensity, or side to side to change times. This will adjust the entire schedule at once without changing the spectrum.

I find that the web interface is easier to use with "fat thumbs". I will use it when making a lot of changes, and it is the only way to upload preset programs.
Ah thanks! That is helpful.

Scurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2018, 01:15 PM   #5253
Kinetic
Registered Member

BRS did a pretty specific test to get Hydra HD's close to Radion AB+:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-EcaJ86HrU

I was thinking of trying this out, as my SPS are getting a bit light colored (I run a ton of Cool Whites, which may be the biggest issue).

Anyone trying this?

Would you recommend running it full blast all day, or doing peaks?

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2018, 06:13 AM   #5254
kimmi2413
Registered Member

Hey guys so I have 2 hydra 26s non hd and for some reason I always have to unplug them and plug them back in because they don’t follow my apex settings till I do so. Is there any way I can fix this?

kimmi2413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2018, 07:55 AM   #5255
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmi2413 View Post
Hey guys so I have 2 hydra 26s non hd and for some reason I always have to unplug them and plug them back in because they don’t follow my apex settings till I do so. Is there any way I can fix this?
I had issues with my AWM doing the same thing. I sold it...

Unread 09/30/2018, 10:28 AM   #5256
kimmi2413
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBoreReefer View Post
I had issues with my AWM doing the same thing. I sold it...

Did u buy anther one? I need one to run my lights

Unread 09/30/2018, 01:18 PM   #5257
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Did u buy anther one? I need one to run my lights
Nope, it’s just the AWM isn’t the best. It’s sort of a known issue. I went back to the “original” AI wireless controller and had no issues with my “original” hydras like before I got the AWM. I’ve since upgraded my lights to the HD’s.

Unread 09/30/2018, 03:51 PM   #5258
kimmi2413
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBoreReefer View Post
Nope, it’s just the AWM isn’t the best. It’s sort of a known issue. I went back to the “original” AI wireless controller and had no issues with my “original” hydras like before I got the AWM. I’ve since upgraded my lights to the HD’s.

Ok thanks guess I’ll just have to upgrade as well since it’s getting annoying having to unplug them all the time

Unread 10/03/2018, 05:49 AM   #5259
KAKLANGLEY
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok thanks guess I’ll just have to upgrade as well since it’s getting annoying having to unplug them all the time
Could you put the lights on another lamp timer in conjunction with the Apex so that every night (or some point in time) they will briefly “unplug” themselves to stay connected thru the AWM?
You know sometimes you just gotta automate your automator!

HIT EM WITH THE HEIN
KAKLANGLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2018, 06:00 AM   #5260
KAKLANGLEY
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
BRS did a pretty specific test to get Hydra HD's close to Radion AB+:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-EcaJ86HrU

I was thinking of trying this out, as my SPS are getting a bit light colored (I run a ton of Cool Whites, which may be the biggest issue).

Anyone trying this?

Would you recommend running it full blast all day, or doing peaks?
I have been looking at this as well to see what kind of performance it may get, being the closest to the Radions AB+ spectrum that I’ve seen through the PAR graphing of the lighting spectrum. I’ve used the sps ab+ program from this thread for quite some time now and have also used the other popular programs as well like the BRS Full Power and Signature Series form AI. The AB+ on this thread, with a few tweaks, has seemed to work best as far as color and growth with some profiles being better in one category or the other. I’ll try switching to the BRS settings in the next few days and see at least what colors look like initially, as with any light changes colors will shift over time as well with different spectrums.

Have you switched to this New BRS profile yet?

HIT EM WITH THE HEIN

Last edited by KAKLANGLEY; 10/03/2018 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Grammar
Unread 10/03/2018, 06:15 AM   #5261
KAKLANGLEY
Registered Member

Quote:

Using myAI App with IOS the presets to me are far easier. With the preset programs if you download them and email to yourself, hold your finger down on the attachment and select to open with myAI app. Wallaahh it’s saved in the app and then you go to app hit the star icon and select the preset file where you can also change the name if need be too. I have all the popular presets saved right there in the app and this way you can create a copy of one of the presets to tweak the colors if you want.

But truth be told I can’t seem to get back the web interface like when I set the lights up initially! How are you accessing the web interface for the lights?

HIT EM WITH THE HEIN
Unread 10/16/2018, 12:28 PM   #5262
Scurry
Registered Member

Has anyone tried to add a brief Sunrise/Sunset period (with the reds and purples) in between your Moon Light period and full spectrum? What does it look like? Do you like it? Any pics?

Unread 10/16/2018, 12:33 PM   #5263
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurry View Post
Has anyone tried to add a brief Sunrise/Sunset period (with the reds and purples) in between your Moon Light period and full spectrum? What does it look like? Do you like it? Any pics?
I personally do not like the look of the red and purples alone. I use mostly Royal blues for my sunrise/sunset with a touch of white and UV mixed in.

Unread 10/17/2018, 01:41 PM   #5264
Scurry
Registered Member

Quote:
I personally do not like the look of the red and purples alone. I use mostly Royal blues for my sunrise/sunset with a touch of white and UV mixed in.
Thats how I have mine set swell. Just thinking a brief 30min sunset period with a bright red/purple might look cool.

Unread 10/25/2018, 04:13 PM   #5266
Kinetic
Registered Member

I have a Hydra 52 HD over my Red Sea Reefer 170. For about a month now, I've been running my lights with full-blast peaks using the recent BRS TV settings for mimicking the Radion settings. Since then, a few corals have increased in color, but one has actually taken a turn. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence, but nothing else has changed.

The coral is a PC Rainbow SPS, I think it's a tabling one. It came dark deep red, then lightened up with the new lights. It started to show skeleton on a couple corallites, even though it had great growth for a long time. Then I noticed it grew back. The polyp extension was really poor. Then one day it was sliming off completely, and I thought for sure it was a goner, but then it was fine again. Recently I saw STN at the base, but again, it grew back and now only a couple corallites are exposed.

There's a lot of other SPS all near by that are doing just fine, including a Pink Lemonade that has colored up quite a bit.

I'd love to get your thoughts on if this is just way too much light.

Previously:

Now:

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2018, 08:27 AM   #5267
Guntert
Registered Member

I tried to go through all 211 pages but I just couldnt do it. Can anyone tell me where to find the Hydra 52 HD AB+ .api file? I have an 80 gallon mix reef and want to find a good light setting. I have tried different ones and just cant find one that is really good. I hear the AB+ is a good one. Any help would be awesome

Guntert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2018, 01:55 PM   #5268
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntert View Post
I tried to go through all 211 pages but I just couldnt do it. Can anyone tell me where to find the Hydra 52 HD AB+ .api file? I have an 80 gallon mix reef and want to find a good light setting. I have tried different ones and just cant find one that is really good. I hear the AB+ is a good one. Any help would be awesome
I have not figured out how to upload .aip files here, but if you pm me I can email one to you. I have a BRS AP+ fill power schedule I can send you. You will need to make make some tweaks to the timing and what not, but the percentages are all the BRS AB+ schedule.

Unread 11/04/2018, 06:49 AM   #5269
nycluis718
Registered Member

Quote:
I have not figured out how to upload .aip files here, but if you pm me I can email one to you. I have a BRS AP+ fill power schedule I can send you. You will need to make make some tweaks to the timing and what not, but the percentages are all the BRS AB+ schedule.
can you post your light settings here? interested to see what you have..

nycluis718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2018, 06:54 AM   #5270
nycluis718
Registered Member

I have a AI 26HD on my jbj 45.. it is a new tank setup and looking for some light setup settings.

I guess I want to know what is the difference between BRS settings and AI signature settings? It looks like AI signature settings has lower UV, violet, and royal blue.

Unread 11/04/2018, 04:44 PM   #5271
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycluis718 View Post
can you post your light settings here? interested to see what you have..
I don't have the Hydras on right now, I am preparing for a move and will be setting up a new 75 that will use the Hydras. I can tell you that I was using the BRS AB+ settings which are UV-119% Violet-116% Royal Blue-79% Blue-80% Green-4% Deep Red-4% Cool White-19%. I then turned the intensity down to about 40% since these were in use over a 40b LPS dominant tank.

Quote:
I have a AI 26HD on my jbj 45.. it is a new tank setup and looking for some light setup settings.

I guess I want to know what is the difference between BRS settings and AI signature settings? It looks like AI signature settings has lower UV, violet, and royal blue.
The AI signature settings are simply settings that have been used used by reefers that AI decided to feature. The BRS AB+ settings were developed by matching the spectral output of the Hydras to the highly successful Radion XR30 AB+ program (or at least as close as possible).

Unread 11/04/2018, 06:31 PM   #5272
nycluis718
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't have the Hydras on right now, I am preparing for a move and will be setting up a new 75 that will use the Hydras. I can tell you that I was using the BRS AB+ settings which are UV-119% Violet-116% Royal Blue-79% Blue-80% Green-4% Deep Red-4% Cool White-19%. I then turned the intensity down to about 40% since these were in use over a 40b LPS dominant tank.

The AI signature settings are simply settings that have been used used by reefers that AI decided to feature. The BRS AB+ settings were developed by matching the spectral output of the Hydras to the highly successful Radion XR30 AB+ program (or at least as close as possible).
how long did you run your light at the brs AB+ for?

Unread 11/05/2018, 10:01 AM   #5273
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Quote:
how long did you run your light at the brs AB+ for?
I only had them over the tank for about 6 weeks. They were coming on at 1:00pm with a 2 hour ramp, ran at full power from 3:00-6:00pm with 20% power drop and return to full power every hour (30 min down, 30 min up) and then ramped down for 2 hours. at 8:00pm I had only RB@5% until 10:00 pm and then it went dark. Everything seemed to do well with this schedule, But I do not have any clams or SPS, just LPS, zoas, mushrooms, and 2 anemones (BTA and Haddoni carpet).

Unread 11/05/2018, 11:33 AM   #5274
travis32
Registered Member

I just got 3 Hydra 52s HD. That I'm trying to get operational. Anyone have issues connecting to their wireless. After an hour of trying to get the third light to connect as a slave (power cycling and resetting the wireless until it was visible to the parent.)

I'm getting 1 bar of signal between the parent and child. That's not even talking trying to get connected to my home wireless which it couldn't do. everytime I tried connecting the parent to my home wireless it would either connect, but then I couldn't connect to the parent over the home wireless. Constant connection timed out issues. Had to reset all three and do it from their private wireless network. Which still had problems seeing each light.

After around 1-2 hours of fiddling around and resetting the lights over and over, I finally got all three to operate as parent with 2 children. Then tried to configure them from the mobile app, but, it's responsiveness was a pain in the ***. It wouldn't respond right away or a the keyboard would stay up when I was trying to set the time and couldn't get it to go away right away. Finally I thought I got a schedule set, and submitted to the lights. They turned on, and stayed on. But... then they wouldn't turn off last night..

For what I paid for these lights, I would expect them to function..... I can't turn them on or off without using their private wireless. I was standing on a step stool with my phone with in inches of the lights and it showed 1 bar for the child LED that was maybe 3 feet away.

Would I be better off going through my old Apex WXM controller? Any other suggestions? I had to shut the outlets off for the LEds last night from my apex because they still hadn't turned off at 11:30 pm. Now I have to try to connect to their crap wireless again to try to configure them and hope the changes stick. It's a pain in the butt holding a phone over 300 gallons of salt water trying to configure an app with a touch screen on a connection that's sketchy at best....

If I'd have similar control from the WXM and more stable control? Then maybe do that? Not sure what to do?

travis32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2018, 11:42 AM   #5275
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

I originally had some issues with the WiFi on the Hydras. Unfortunately the internal WiFi has a VERY short range. I solved this by getting a WiFi extender and plugging it into an outlet about 2 feet from the tank. I have had NO issues since. It is an annoyance that I needed to get the extender, but it was cheap (from Amazon) and works great!