Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/29/2014, 12:33 AM   #1
skripo
Registered Member

Digital Aquatics Archon Owners Thread

Just pre-ordered mine so I thought I would start this thread so we could share information. So lets start with some questions:

1) What modules are you getting and why? The unit seems pretty complete to me except for the power strip!

2) What probes are you getting?

3) What light controls are you hoping for?

I would love the PC4 but it is on sale, any probe I can, and I hope they come with a Kessil control capability because I bought the Kessil-DA cable today!

I am a little leery of buying a PC4 or other modules that are on sale. I am afraid they are clearing them out for new models. Any opinions? Should I get a PS4?

Last edited by skripo; 11/29/2014 at 12:40 AM.
skripo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2014, 05:48 AM   #2
n2585722
Registered Member

You will need at least one PC4, PB4 or PB8 for the system to work. I would suggest at least 2 PC4's if you go with them. The head unit only option is for those of us who already have the RKL or RKE system and want to upgrade.

The PB version power bars have a higher current rated buss power supply. The power supply for the modules. They also have a suppression circuit built it to prevent the issue with low power pumps. The PC4 is the original power bar.

n2585722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2014, 08:48 AM   #3
skripo
Registered Member

Unfortunately for me it's my first DA system so I have nothing to upgrade from.

Also there were no package deals but the good news is that the head unit is so feature packed that all I think I need is the power bar, the dosing pump, the DCI, and probes.

If I understand properly I will be able to use the 0-10V to control my Kessil, if and when, the software allows it. I bought a Kessil controller until such time as a) I actually take delivery of the Archon and B) It works with the Kessil.

It also looks like the DCI is plug compatible with the Gyre but again, software is needed. I hope they are serious about open source and release it soon. That is what is going to make this platform king.

Unread 11/29/2014, 08:30 PM   #4
DaveMorris
VP, SDMAS

As Danny said you will want to get it with some form of power bar. They are not clearing out PC4's. They will still be selling RKL, RKE, Herpkeeper and Herpkeeper plus systems all of which require the use of a PC4 for controllable outlets. Pretty much all of the current modules will be compatible with the Archon system. After an initial firmware update they will be 100% compatible.

Current Tank Info: 130g build in progress
DaveMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2014, 04:57 PM   #5
delmo
Registered Member

I'm not sure if the DC1 will be compatible with the gyre. The gyre is 36vdc and this is the DC1 description:
" The DCI is designed to integrate 2-24v Dc pumps that use round 3 pin connectors into your system.* for use with the Reef Keeper Family, the DCI requires the addition of the APC (Advanced Pump Control).* This interface can also be used on any controller that has 0-10v outputs."
Maybe in a modification or upgrade, but reading their description, not yet.
But then again, the APC is not needed when using the Archon, so maybe their literature is outdated.

delmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2014, 06:46 PM   #6
janes_mw
Registered Member

I will be running 3 pc4's, SL2v2 with salinity probe. Dual pH (one for ca rx and one for sump), 2 temp probes, 6 float switches, 4 0-10v pump controls to start. most coming over from my RKE.

BTW, I noticed they are now missing from the Sponsor forums ??

300G 96x24x30, BK250 Skimmer with Avast Swabbie, LED/T5, Geo CaRx with Masterflex effluent cntl, Zeovite User - Avast Marine Tumbler, Archon control, Vortech MP60,Tunze 6125, & Jebao RW20 making waves
janes_mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2014, 07:57 PM   #7
n2585722
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janes_mw View Post

BTW, I noticed they are now missing from the Sponsor forums ??
That must have just happened. I was on there earlier today. I can't say I blame them. Hanna dropped their sponsorship on here also.

Unread 12/23/2014, 08:12 PM   #8
skripo
Registered Member

Why don't you blame them?

Unread 12/23/2014, 08:45 PM   #9
n2585722
Registered Member

Some of the people on the forum can be merciless. They were crucifying Hanna on a daily basis almost.

Unread 12/24/2014, 06:17 AM   #10
GusDiaz
Registered Member

Hi guys. I am an owner of a RKE with the original SL2. I have been trying to exchange this defective module (SL2) since last month. There was an exchange program that was concealed inside the DA forum. When I discover it I tried to make the exchange but the program had ended. I am warning you of this type of warranty related problems that DA has. I have called multiple times to DA and I only get a voice mail. I have left my contact information and they do not return the calls. I am not the only one with this problem. No efforts were made by DA to contact owners of the SL2 module even when that modules were registered and they knew that less units were exchanged from the ones sold.

Also notice that Digital Aquatics is no longer a sponsor of Reef Central since 12/24/2014. This is a very critical move as it could signify that they have economic issues as they are limiting their expenses. Anyway, a company that does not honor their exchanges of a module that was defective is scary and you should be careful if planning to buy new technology from them. Buyer be aware!!!!!!!!!!

Costumer support is lacking and that should worry you too.

Current Tank Info: 155 Gallon Reef Tank & 30 Gallon Sump
GusDiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2014, 09:00 AM   #11
GusDiaz
Registered Member

I am so glad I made the change to the APEX from Neptune

Current Tank Info: 155 Gallon Reef Tank & 30 Gallon Sump
GusDiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2014, 01:50 PM   #12
skripo
Registered Member

It seems like the haters and Apex fan boys are piling on the abuse today!

Jokes on them if the Archon is what DA claims it is.

Unread 12/24/2014, 03:51 PM   #13
rainydave
Registered Member

I plan on running an Archon with 3-4 PC4s, an SL1, Temp & PH Probes, 2 Float Switches for my ATO.

The modules are all currently in use on my RKL unit.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 58 RR, Archon controller
rainydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2014, 04:55 PM   #14
janes_mw
Registered Member

Archon is going to be something if what advertised. Wireless, truely web based and open source code!! Give itto me

300G 96x24x30, BK250 Skimmer with Avast Swabbie, LED/T5, Geo CaRx with Masterflex effluent cntl, Zeovite User - Avast Marine Tumbler, Archon control, Vortech MP60,Tunze 6125, & Jebao RW20 making waves
Unread 12/24/2014, 07:39 PM   #15
n2585722
Registered Member

It is web based and wired or wireless. I have got to poke around a little on one via the internet. It looks good.

Unread 12/26/2014, 10:32 AM   #16
spifftempo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skripo View Post
It seems like the haters and Apex fan boys are piling on the abuse today!

Jokes on them if the Archon is what DA claims it is.
Good Luck, hopefully it doesn't follow their past product capability promises. (SL2 took several years to resolve and get working).

I'd also be worried that they are sticking with the I2C protocols of their past bus system.

spifftempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2014, 11:36 AM   #17
vette.tech
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janes_mw View Post
Archon is going to be something if what advertised. Wireless, truely web based and open source code!! Give itto me
You already have all that plus more and support that is above and beyond with reef angel, only thing with Apex is no open source

vette.tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2014, 11:41 AM   #18
skripo
Registered Member

Seems like Apex called some friends to Bash DA., must be really worried about being behind the times.

Just kidding!

Seriously though, can we please stop the Apex discussion and stick to the original subject?

Unread 12/26/2014, 11:43 AM   #19
skripo
Registered Member

I looked at reef angel but not in the mood for programming. I know there is an interface now but prefer DA hardware if they get it to work.

Unread 12/26/2014, 12:39 PM   #20
janes_mw
Registered Member

Vette.tech, ya, but i have RKE and all the aux boxes so all I need is the new control. But yes, reef angel is a great option as well

Unread 12/27/2014, 05:28 PM   #21
delmo
Registered Member

Dollar per option, RA is only second to Profilux, and then you have to learn and do all the programming. If Archon lives up... I think they'll be in great shape.

delmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2014, 11:27 PM   #22
DaveMorris
VP, SDMAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusDiaz View Post
There was an exchange program that was concealed inside the DA forum. When I discover it I tried to make the exchange but the program had ended.
The exchange program was not "concealed" in any way. Posts were made here on RC, on *********, and on several other local forums that I at least frequent. I know there were several posts on these boards because I, along with DA, posted them. This went on for at least six months.

Quote:
I am warning you of this type of warranty related problems that DA has.
I frequent RC and several other national forums and I know of two people that have voiced their concern over not knowing about the exchange program and missing the cutoff. I hardly think it is fair to call this "warranty related problems". Your inference is that they purposely do this all the time. Everybody in the world knows about the problems that DA had taking forever to fix the SL2 issue. To my knowledge that is the only module that has had an issue that required it to be sent in for replacement.

Quote:
I have called multiple times to DA and I only get a voice mail. I have left my contact information and they do not return the calls. I am not the only one with this problem.
I have no idea why they have not resolved this issue with you. I think it is an example of terrible customer service and I have told them so. I have specifically called to their attention your particular concern in the past couple of days and I will continue to try to convince them to make things right with you. I am sure it will be too little, too late, but that doesn't change the fact that they should address your concerns.

Quote:
No efforts were made by DA to contact owners of the SL2 module even when that modules were registered and they knew that less units were exchanged from the ones sold.
Completely untrue. No they did not call people on the phone or send them an email, but the information was in fact put out all over the web. I have no idea if they even had a database to do this. I imagine that they did not because even warranty repairs required a copy of your purchase receipt for verification.

Quote:
Also notice that Digital Aquatics is no longer a sponsor of Reef Central since 12/24/2014. This is a very critical move as it could signify that they have economic issues as they are limiting their expenses.
This is such a ridiculous statement. You are in no position to know why their sponsorship has been cut off. Maybe they felt that they weren't getting their money's worth. Or thought it was an unnecessary expense (a big one at that) since they have their own forum and do a lot of communicating via Facebook (which I hate with a passion). Or maybe it is a glitch and they didn't pay their bill on time. Either way speculating that they are broke and cutting costs is irresponsible and just shows that you are on a mission to make them look bad any way you can, even with bad information. You have expressed your displeasure in how they have handled the SL2 exchange and your specific concerns. I agree 100% that they have not handled it right. Going out of your way to try to further discredit them is childish.

Quote:
Anyway, a company that does not honor their exchanges of a module that was defective is scary and you should be careful if planning to buy new technology from them. Buyer be aware!!!!!!!!!!

Costumer support is lacking and that should worry you too.
Certainly valid concerns coming from your point of view. I would probably feel the same way if I was in the same situation as you.

Quote:
I am so glad I made the change to the APEX from Neptune
I hope and am pretty sure that you will be happy with the change. It is DA's loss due to how they treated you and that's what happens in the marketplace.

Unread 12/28/2014, 12:08 AM   #23
DaveMorris
VP, SDMAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by spifftempo View Post
Good Luck, hopefully it doesn't follow their past product capability promises. (SL2 took several years to resolve and get working).

I'd also be worried that they are sticking with the I2C protocols of their past bus system.
A couple of notes here:

First, my usual disclaimer...I am NOT an employee of DA and do not get paid a single penny for anything I do for them. I am a beta tester and have been since the RKE first came out.

Literally all of the employees currently at Digital Aquatics did not work there upwards of two years ago. They have all walked into the trauma of dealing with getting the SL2 fixed. One of the guys there owns at least two tanks, one of which is a 400g tank I believe, and is a hobbyist like us and truly understands what we want in a controller.

I am one of the several people who have an Archon currently and I can honestly say, it is a massive improvement to the RKE/RKL line. It is simple to program, which can be done from any web-enabled device, so no more issues with myReef and needing a Windows machine to use it.

I am not a programmer so I can honestly say, I do not really understand anything about the I2C bus, but I was told that once DA releases the firmware update for all of the current modules to make them "Archon modules" the bus communication will be different. The current RKE family of modules are compatible with Archon with no updates needed, but eventually they will be updated via firmware. This will also allow them to communicate faster and future firmware updates will not require disconnecting the modules and updating them individually. I was sent only the Archon base unit and connected it to my current PC4's and all of the other modules with no updates at all.

The Archon isn't going to change the face of aquarium control the world over, but it is definitely a huge step up from the current DA line of controller. Programming is much easier, and there are a lot of nice little improvements that we all will put to good use. One example, you can assign multiple alarms to a channel with alarm #1 taking precedence over the others. This adds a lot of possibilities. You can name Alarms, timers, standbys, and modules/channels. The base unit has 4 virtual channels built in. 0v - 10v and PWM built in. I believe people making the switch will be very happy. Archon was designed from the beginning by a hobbyist and it really shows.

Unread 12/28/2014, 12:08 AM   #24
DaveMorris
VP, SDMAS

Quote:

A couple of notes here:

First, my usual disclaimer...I am NOT an employee of DA and do not get paid a single penny for anything I do for them. I am a beta tester and have been since the RKE first came out.

Literally all of the employees currently at Digital Aquatics did not work there upwards of two years ago. They have all walked into the trauma of dealing with getting the SL2 fixed. One of the guys there owns at least two tanks, one of which is a 400g tank I believe, and is a hobbyist like us and truly understands what we want in a controller.

I am one of the several people who have an Archon currently and I can honestly say, it is a massive improvement to the RKE/RKL line. It is simple to program, which can be done from any web-enabled device, so no more issues with myReef and needing a Windows machine to use it.

I am not a programmer so I can honestly say, I do not really understand anything about the I2C bus, but I was told that once DA releases the firmware update for all of the current modules to make them "Archon modules" the bus communication will be different. The current RKE family of modules are compatible with Archon with no updates needed, but eventually they will be updated via firmware. This will also allow them to communicate faster and future firmware updates will not require disconnecting the modules and updating them individually. I was sent only the Archon base unit and connected it to my current PC4's and all of the other modules with no updates at all.

The Archon isn't going to change the face of aquarium control the world over, but it is definitely a huge step up from the current DA line of controller. Programming is much easier, and there are a lot of nice little improvements that we all will put to good use. One example, you can assign multiple alarms to a channel with alarm #1 taking precedence over the others. This adds a lot of possibilities. You can name Alarms, timers, standbys, and modules/channels. The base unit has 4 virtual channels built in. 0v - 10v and PWM built in. I believe people making the switch will be very happy. Archon was designed from the beginning by a hobbyist and it really shows.

Unread 12/28/2014, 12:09 AM   #25
DaveMorris
VP, SDMAS

Quote:

A couple of notes here: