Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/28/2014, 12:10 AM   #26
DaveMorris
VP, SDMAS

The Archon isn't going to change the face of aquarium control the world over, but it is definitely a huge step up from the current DA line of controller. Programming is much easier, and there are a lot of nice little improvements that we all will put to good use. One example, you can assign multiple alarms to a channel with alarm #1 taking precedence over the others. This adds a lot of possibilities. You can name Alarms, timers, standbys, and modules/channels. The base unit has 4 virtual channels built in. 0v - 10v and PWM built in. I believe people making the switch will be very happy. Archon was designed from the beginning by a hobbyist and it really shows.

Current Tank Info: 130g build in progress
DaveMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2014, 11:26 AM   #27
wrimda
Registered Member

We have two RKL we have been running for three and four years respectively. They work great for us, but I do have to say that when we have had a question customer service is not good. I thought that when our units fail we would change to the Neptune system but they keep on going. We have always wanted to get the net module but have heard the problems.

Is this something Archon will help? Does D.A. Sell the Archon head unit separately?

IMHO if D.A. Had a good customer service team this would be the MFG'r to have, hands down!

wrimda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2014, 12:53 PM   #28
DaveMorris
VP, SDMAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrimda View Post
We have always wanted to get the net module but have heard the problems.

Is this something Archon will help?
The NET module itself has been fine, albeit not the easiest to understand. Most of the issues that people have had involving the NET module have been dealing with their home network or their ISP. The Archon makes the NET module totally unnecessary. Networking is built into the Archon and getting it to talk to your home network is extremely simple.

Quote:
Does D.A. Sell the Archon head unit separately?
I believe they will since it is compatible with the modules for the RKE/RKL head units. While it hasn't been pushed as an "upgrade" that is essentially what it will be.

Quote:
IMHO if D.A. Had a good customer service team this would be the MFG'r to have, hands down!
I could not agree with you more. It has been a very weak spot for them and hopefully they will be improving on that very soon. They have hired a lot of people and I know certain things are in the works. Time will tell...

Unread 12/28/2014, 03:34 PM   #29
wrimda
Registered Member

Dave, Thank You for the info.

Also did I understand you correctly that at some point we would be able to update firmware on our existing RKE, and RKL head units to be compatible with Archon?

Unread 12/28/2014, 05:30 PM   #30
DaveMorris
VP, SDMAS

Quote:
Dave, Thank You for the info.

Also did I understand you correctly that at some point we would be able to update firmware on our existing RKE, and RKL head units to be compatible with Archon?
That is the current plan. It will basically turn your RKE or RKL head unit into a simple user interface with limited functionality I imagine. I haven't been told what it will be able to do or when they plan to implement that feature. I know the idea is to make it so that your current investment in modules will not become obsolete when switching over to an Archon system. The Archon specific modules will communicate much faster, but the old modules will still work. I think the head units will work sort of like the RD1 does now.

Unread 12/29/2014, 12:11 PM   #31
DaveMorris
VP, SDMAS

A little update in regards to the DA support forum here on RC going away. As I suspected, it is merely a billing issue and will be resolved as soon as the accounting folks at DA can get a hold of accounting folks here at RC. I am sure it will be resolved in a few days.

Unread 12/29/2014, 06:55 PM   #32
wrimda
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMorris View Post
That is the current plan. It will basically turn your RKE or RKL head unit into a simple user interface with limited functionality I imagine. I haven't been told what it will be able to do or when they plan to implement that feature. I know the idea is to make it so that your current investment in modules will not become obsolete when switching over to an Archon system. The Archon specific modules will communicate much faster, but the old modules will still work. I think the head units will work sort of like the RD1 does now.
DaveMorris,
Thanks for all the help and info

Unread 12/29/2014, 09:10 PM   #33
STX Diver
Registered Member

I contacted DA about an issue concerning my RKL head unit via email. They replied to me 4 days later with the info I needed.

Their forum support is almost same day. I don't have any complaints about my two DA systems.

Current Tank Info: 120G Reef Tank
STX Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2015, 10:14 AM   #34
cidbozek
Registered Member

Those darn accountants !

Current Tank Info: 90 Mixed reef,Radion xp30w pro,RO Diablo,MP40,MP10s,Sump with fuge,40 breeder frag tank
cidbozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2015, 05:28 PM   #35
DaveMorris
VP, SDMAS

As reported in the Archon thread on the DA support site, they are targeting January 20th as a ship date for the Archon system. Unfortunately for DA but fortunately for all of the users of the Archon, the beta testers have come up with a lot of cool features that we want added into the Archon software. Most, if not all of these improvements are being added in, along with a few bugs that we found being corrected. With this system being Linux based, something I know very little about, it seems like a great deal of features can be added over time via a software update. It really is a powerful system.

Unread 01/08/2015, 09:04 AM   #36
janes_mw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMorris View Post
As reported in the Archon thread on the DA support site, they are targeting January 20th as a ship date for the Archon system. Unfortunately for DA but fortunately for all of the users of the Archon, the beta testers have come up with a lot of cool features that we want added into the Archon software. Most, if not all of these improvements are being added in, along with a few bugs that we found being corrected. With this system being Linux based, something I know very little about, it seems like a great deal of features can be added over time via a software update. It really is a powerful system.
Thanks for the update Dave! That is the second source I have heard the 20th date on so hoping that it's true.

300G 96x24x30, BK250 Skimmer with Avast Swabbie, LED/T5, Geo CaRx with Masterflex effluent cntl, Zeovite User - Avast Marine Tumbler, Archon control, Vortech MP60,Tunze 6125, & Jebao RW20 making waves
janes_mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2015, 08:22 PM   #37
cidbozek
Registered Member

Those sure are some busy accountants. Lol

Current Tank Info: 90 Mixed reef,Radion xp30w pro,RO Diablo,MP40,MP10s,Sump with fuge,40 breeder frag tank
Unread 01/19/2015, 11:31 PM   #38
cidbozek
Registered Member

Anyone been contacted for payment and shipping yet? I have not ! :-(

Unread 01/20/2015, 01:24 PM   #39
kinkade
Registered Member

Beware of Digital Aqautics:

I bought the Reefkeeper Lite in late November and it had problems so I decided to upgrade to the Reefkeeper Elite rather than exchanging the RKL, which showed up defective..the clock didn't work on it so it is useless. I contacted customer service and they told me that they would send another one. It has been over a month and nothing so far and all of my calls to their sales and support numbers go straight to voice mail with no return calls. I have also sent emails with no replies so here I sit with a Reefkeeper Elite head unit in the box and can't get a hold of them to replace it. I have filed a Better Business Bureau complaint against them, which they have a C- rating because there are plenty of complaints about the same thing...terrible customer service and warranty support. If they don't respond to that, small claims court is next but since I just bought the RLE in mid-December, I called the credit card company and disputed the charge due to defective equipment. I have lot of unanswered emails to provide to them as evidence of the lack of support but my attempt to resolve it.

kinkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2015, 10:51 PM   #40
skripo
Registered Member

I still want my archon, power bars, and probes.

Come on people, TAKE MY MONEY!!!

skripo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2015, 07:26 AM   #41
n2585722
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skripo View Post
I still want my archon, power bars, and probes.

Come on people, TAKE MY MONEY!!!
Hang in there. They are working on getting them out.

n2585722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2015, 03:27 PM   #42
shellsea
Registered Member

I had a RKL for about two years and upgraded to a RKE about three years ago. I am very happy with my experience with DA. Sometimes the high tech stuff takes me awhile to sort out but that's my issue, not DA's. I was notified today that the Archon head unit is ready for shipping to pre-sale orders of which I am one!!!! Can't wait.
If I were in the market today for my first controller I would give the Archon some serious thought.

Unread 01/21/2015, 04:22 PM   #43
n2585722
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellsea View Post
I had a RKL for about two years and upgraded to a RKE about three years ago. I am very happy with my experience with DA. Sometimes the high tech stuff takes me awhile to sort out but that's my issue, not DA's. I was notified today that the Archon head unit is ready for shipping to pre-sale orders of which I am one!!!! Can't wait.
If I were in the market today for my first controller I would give the Archon some serious thought.
I like the Archon. After using it a few weeks it is hard to go back to the RKE using myReef to program and monitor.

Unread 01/21/2015, 07:44 PM   #44
janes_mw
Registered Member

Quote:
Sounds like the shipping is going to start! I pre-ordered as well, but 051 so prolly a few days. Keep us posted as to your setup!

300G 96x24x30, BK250 Skimmer with Avast Swabbie, LED/T5, Geo CaRx with Masterflex effluent cntl, Zeovite User - Avast Marine Tumbler, Archon control, Vortech MP60,Tunze 6125, & Jebao RW20 making waves
janes_mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2015, 01:46 PM   #45
shellsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janes_mw View Post
Sounds like the shipping is going to start! I pre-ordered as well, but 051 so prolly a few days. Keep us posted as to your setup!
I will let everyone know. They may have just teased me a bit. I was told an e-mail would follow the call I got yesterday but have not got that confirmation yet. Fingers crossed. Can't wait to take it for a test drive.

Unread 01/22/2015, 02:22 PM   #46
n2585722
Registered Member

Quote:
I will let everyone know. They may have just teased me a bit. I was told an e-mail would follow the call I got yesterday but have not got that confirmation yet. Fingers crossed. Can't wait to take it for a test drive.
When you get it before plugging it all up you may want to remove the memory stick and copy it to you computer as a backup of the system at the start. Also you can power down the system after you have it setup and do the same. That way you have a copy with everything setup. Just make sure and power down the system when you remove and insert the memory stick.

To program an output. Select outputs from the menu bar. To program the output you wish click on the gear for that output. Select the function then click show beside the function. Now fill out data for that function. It is that easy. If the output was in off mode it will be put in auto for you. Make sure when entering set points such as temp to add tenths ect. Example temp setpoint of 78 would be entered as 78.0. You can use more than one alarm per output. Alarms and timers can be named like the modules and ports. When I placed a module that was named with the RKE the name followed on the Archon.

Hope this helps a little at getting started. The alarms and timers can be added and edited from the system page.

Unread 01/23/2015, 08:37 AM   #47
shellsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2585722 View Post
When you get it before plugging it all up you may want to remove the memory stick and copy it to you computer as a backup of the system at the start. Also you can power down the system after you have it setup and do the same. That way you have a copy with everything setup. Just make sure and power down the system when you remove and insert the memory stick.

To program an output. Select outputs from the menu bar. To program the output you wish click on the gear for that output. Select the function then click show beside the function. Now fill out data for that function. It is that easy. If the output was in off mode it will be put in auto for you. Make sure when entering set points such as temp to add tenths ect. Example temp setpoint of 78 would be entered as 78.0. You can use more than one alarm per output. Alarms and timers can be named like the modules and ports. When I placed a module that was named with the RKE the name followed on the Archon.

Hope this helps a little at getting started. The alarms and timers can be added and edited from the system page.
Yes that helps. any advise from those that have had a chance to use it is helpful. Thanks for sharing. Hope I get to use it SOON!!!! Come on DA!!!!!

Unread 01/24/2015, 09:10 PM   #48
cidbozek
Registered Member

Now that it's shipping to the non beta purchasers, how about some pics of the programming screens?

Unread 01/25/2015, 03:12 PM   #49
n2585722
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidbozek View Post
Now that it's shipping to the non beta purchasers, how about some pics of the programming screens?
That might not be easy. It depends what device you are using to access it how the screens look. There is also some scrolling involved so a snapshot will not capture everything. I will have to check with DA anyway before posting. They do have screen shots on their Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/DigitalAquaticsTechnology

Unread 01/27/2015, 03:48 PM   #50
shellsea
Registered Member

After being a faithful Digital Aquatics supporter for several years and standing up for their lack of customer service on several forums many times, I am beginning to lose faith. I placed my Archon pre-order December 11th 2014 and waited patiently. On January 20th 2015 ,I received a phone call from DA telling me they were ready to ship and I would get an e-mail confirming order and payment method. I waited 48 hours and no e-mail. Since January 22nd I have called and left three voice mails and wrote 2 e-mails to support expressing my understanding that they were busy but I had not received the promised e-mail and would just like to know aprx. ship date and confirm my payment method. All 5 of my communication efforts have not generated a simple reply of any kind. I hope they can recover from whatever spell they are under and let their customers know they DO WANT US AS CUSTOMERS.
Jack S
Destin, Fl.