Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2015, 04:42 PM   #76
shellsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2585722 View Post
Shellsea how is it going with the Archon? Any questions?
Thanks for asking. Not yet. I got message from DA Eric right after delivery to update the flash drive. Great response from them lately. I will do that tonight and set it up. I spent the weekend cleaning up my wires and getting ready for the switch.

Unread 02/16/2015, 04:46 PM   #77
n2585722
Registered Member

FYI, since you are adding this to your existing modules. Use the on/off function first then program to the function you wish. This clears the RKE/RKL programming form that output apparently. I found this out when trying to program the ALC.

n2585722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2015, 09:53 AM   #78
shellsea
Registered Member

Thanks N258, good to know. I hope to hear from Eric today re: the flash drive. I can't seem to get it updated right. My lack of tech skills, not DA's.

Unread 02/17/2015, 11:23 AM   #79
shellsea
Registered Member

Reset

Quote:
FYI, since you are adding this to your existing modules. Use the on/off function first then program to the function you wish. This clears the RKE/RKL programming form that output apparently. I found this out when trying to program the ALC.
Thanks for this tip again N258etc and here is one I can share w/ all. After updating my flash drive as directed by DA support or anytime the Archon sits offline for awhile, I could not find the Archon network on my phone or ipad. A simple reset for 10 seconds solved the problem. Thanks Eric at DA for the follow up and the good tip.

Unread 02/17/2015, 11:45 AM   #80
n2585722
Registered Member

I assume you are up and running now. It will take awhile to get used to it. After using it for a couple of weeks I had to return to the RKE for control for a week or two. It was no fun going back. Even though it was just a couple of weeks. Another tip. When entering temp and hysertisis values make sure and add a decimal and a 0. Even if not needed. Example 78 enter as 78.0 or .1 as 0.1 just to make sure it take it. Also when scrolling on the iPad or phone be careful you don't turn on or off an output. I have done this by accident several times.

Unread 02/17/2015, 11:46 AM   #81
jason2459
Registered Member

Well,

I've always been happy with the product but not so much the support from DA.

Don't know why but I'm trying to give them my money again

I just have a lot of modules that I can move over and just need the main controller which is nice and still be able to use my head unit for a quick glance when at my tank.

So, waiting for them to call me back

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2015, 12:25 PM   #82
n2585722
Registered Member

Jason the firmware to use the head unit as a remote display is not yet available. I have no problem bringing it up on the iPad or my phone though.

Unread 02/17/2015, 12:28 PM   #83
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Jason the firmware to use the head unit as a remote display is not yet available. I have no problem bringing it up on the iPad or my phone though.
That's fine but all the modules work now right? PB4's, SLX, SL2, etc?

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 02/17/2015, 12:34 PM   #84
n2585722
Registered Member

The NET doesn't work but is not needed with the Archon. The RD1 doesn't work yet. Probably will be when the firmware is ready for RKL head unit. The SID doesn't work. The SL1, SL2, SL2v2, HUB, ALC, SLX, DP1, PC1 and PC4 I can confirm as I have them connected to my system. I will try the MLC soon. the ALC is not complete yet for the SDO output. I am not sure if anyone is using it anymore. I do not have any of the new PB modules yet.

Unread 02/17/2015, 12:41 PM   #85
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
The NET doesn't work but is not needed with the Archon. The RD1 doesn't work yet. Probably will be when the firmware is ready for RKL head unit. The SID doesn't work. The SL1, SL2, SL2v2, HUB, ALC, SLX, DP1, PC1 and PC4 I can confirm as I have them connected to my system. I will try the MLC soon. the ALC is not complete yet for the SDO output. I am not sure if anyone is using it anymore. I do not have any of the new PB modules yet.
Thanks. I should be fine then. I've got like 5 pb4's, sl1, sl2v2, slx, and a sw5. Plus two RKL head units and the net module which like you said I wont need.

Will I need the sid to program those to be compatable to the archon? I can't find that thing anywhere. I remember putting it somewhere I wouldn't lose it too of course.

Unread 02/17/2015, 01:06 PM   #86
shellsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
Thanks. I should be fine then. I've got like 5 pb4's, sl1, sl2v2, slx, and a sw5. Plus two RKL head units and the net module which like you said I wont need.

Will I need the sid to program those to be compatable to the archon? I can't find that thing anywhere. I remember putting it somewhere I wouldn't lose it too of course.
I have not tried yet but I was just told by DA that the old RKE modules will not have to have their firmware updated to be compatible with Archon. Stay tuned I will be working on mine tonight after work.

Unread 02/17/2015, 01:16 PM   #87
n2585722
Registered Member

All the modules are ok if they have the current firmware on them. The SW5 works also. I forgot to include it in the list. Are you sure you have PB4's and not PC4's? I thought that was one of the items that was the hold up on some of the preorders.

Unread 02/17/2015, 01:47 PM   #88
n2585722
Registered Member

There is a new software version 1.09.7 up now that fixes an issue with calibration to the external modules. That is all the SL modules. So please update before you try and calibrate anything other than the ports on the Archon itself. If you have already calibrated a module port then go back to the RKE/RKL and use myReef to set the cal data for that port back to factory defaults. Then recal on the Archon after updating the software version.

Unread 02/17/2015, 01:50 PM   #89
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
All the modules are ok if they have the current firmware on them. The SW5 works also. I forgot to include it in the list. Are you sure you have PB4's and not PC4's? I thought that was one of the items that was the hold up on some of the preorders.
Yeah it would be what ever came with the RKL's so PC4's.

So, sounds like I'll need to get a sidv2 then as I know they don't have the latest versions installed and one of them is older then the other.

Unread 02/17/2015, 01:52 PM   #90
n2585722
Registered Member

The PC4's have not had an update in a long time. I doubt that module is out of date.

Unread 02/17/2015, 01:53 PM   #91
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
The PC4's have not had an update in a long time. I doubt that module is out of date.
HA!!! you underestimate my laziness.

Unread 02/17/2015, 07:31 PM   #92
cdmurphy
Registered Member

So does anyone know the price of just the Archon head unit? I have a RKE and from what I'm reading all the modules are compatible with the Archon, is that correct?

cdmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2015, 07:41 PM   #93
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
So does anyone know the price of just the Archon head unit? I have a RKE and from what I'm reading all the modules are compatible with the Archon, is that correct?
Its on their site for $399

Unread 02/17/2015, 07:43 PM   #94
janes_mw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
$399 for head unit with power supply. You might want to get an iTemp probe also if you don't have that version of temp probe.

300G 96x24x30, BK250 Skimmer with Avast Swabbie, LED/T5, Geo CaRx with Masterflex effluent cntl, Zeovite User - Avast Marine Tumbler, Archon control, Vortech MP60,Tunze 6125, & Jebao RW20 making waves
janes_mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2015, 07:46 PM   #95
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janes_mw View Post
$399 for head unit with power supply. You might want to get an iTemp probe also if you don't have that version of temp probe.
Is the itemp probe the one that actually looks like a probe or the one that's just a long wire with the tip on it?

Unread 02/17/2015, 08:02 PM   #96
janes_mw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
Is the itemp probe the one that actually looks like a probe or the one that's just a long wire with the tip on it?
It is a probe. It has a different connector on it. If you go to DA site and look up the probes, it shows them.
http://www.digitalaquatics.org/store...merature-probe

300G 96x24x30, BK250 Skimmer with Avast Swabbie, LED/T5, Geo CaRx with Masterflex effluent cntl, Zeovite User - Avast Marine Tumbler, Archon control, Vortech MP60,Tunze 6125, & Jebao RW20 making waves
Unread 02/17/2015, 08:12 PM   #97
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
It is a probe. It has a different connector on it. If you go to DA site and look up the probes, it shows them.
http://www.digitalaquatics.org/store...merature-probe
Ok at least that link says specifically for the archon

Other links aren't that clear like this one

http://www.digitalaquatics.com/saltw...erature-probe/

This one is slightly more clear
http://www.digitalaquatics.org/probe...erature-probes

But when I check the temp on one of my rkl head units I scroll to itemp and its a molex connector not an rj45... My other rkl head unit its the wire with tip probe.

Edit: and I just read the description and it also talks about there's molex and an rj45 itemp probe. I'm assuming the archon takes an rj45 as that's what there's a picture of?

Unread 02/17/2015, 08:21 PM   #98
janes_mw
Registered Member

Archon takes iTemp which is rj45

Unread 02/17/2015, 09:12 PM   #99
cdmurphy
Registered Member

Thanks guys, for some reason I couldn't find the store on their website which was hiding in plain sight. I have the ITemp and 4 PC4's so I'd just need the head unit.

cdmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2015, 09:26 PM   #100
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Archon takes iTemp which is rj45
Yep, see that looking at pictures of the Archon. So, I have two variations of the iTemp and neither of them are the right kind.

so, looks like I'll have to get a sid and a temp probe too.

one of my RKL setups is quite old but it works so I haven't touched it. head unit is 1.11 and pc4's on it are 2.01 and has a switch module on it that's old as well. My other head unit and pc4's have the latest versions. Plan was to at some point upgrade to a RKE and tie the two together w/ a remote display unit but never happened. Now that archon is out may as well. My net module died on me too so good thing I won't need that anymore. That net module was pretty frustratingly slow so hopefully the Archon is a lot more responsive.

Anyone tell me if it finally supports SSL?