Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/18/2015, 11:37 AM   #101
jason2459
Registered Member

Oh yeah, and I did get an email from DA(Amy) last night saying they will call me to place an order when they get more of the Archons in. I guess they are out of them for the next day or two.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2015, 06:10 PM   #102
janes_mw
Registered Member

Mine will be here tomorrow. Stand by for questions!!

300G 96x24x30, BK250 Skimmer with Avast Swabbie, LED/T5, Geo CaRx with Masterflex effluent cntl, Zeovite User - Avast Marine Tumbler, Archon control, Vortech MP60,Tunze 6125, & Jebao RW20 making waves
janes_mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2015, 01:14 AM   #103
DaveMorris
VP, SDMAS

Just to clarify the questions about the temp probes...The connector on the iTemp probe is an RJ11, not an RJ45. Also, the version of the probe that is a wire with a fat end on it is the older style probe. DA has been shipping true probe style temp probes for a while now. The only difference between the iTemp probe and the temp probe with the Molex connector is actually the connector itself.

Current Tank Info: 130g build in progress
DaveMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2015, 07:07 AM   #104
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMorris View Post
Just to clarify the questions about the temp probes...The connector on the iTemp probe is an RJ11, not an RJ45. Also, the version of the probe that is a wire with a fat end on it is the older style probe. DA has been shipping true probe style temp probes for a while now. The only difference between the iTemp probe and the temp probe with the Molex connector is actually the connector itself.
Well, the wire I have has a rounded thicker then the wire end and is j11 plugs right to the bus if I remember right. I get its information by scrolling to itemp. So, can I use that on the Archon? I have two of these somehow. Only one being used and the other sitting on a shelf somewhere.

The other probe probe with molex plugs into I think my sl1 module. Can I use that also with the proper pin layout crimped to an rj45?

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2015, 08:05 AM   #105
n2585722
Registered Member

The Archon only uses one iTemp so no need to change the connector on the one for the SL1 if you have a spare.

n2585722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2015, 08:24 AM   #106
shellsea
Registered Member

Archon and Tunze

I have got my Archon and quite pleased with it. Still working on programming. Does anyone know the proper hook up for controllable Tunze pumps?
I had the APC module w/ RKE and have it available but the Archon manual says you can plug Tunze adaptor cords into 0-10 v port. Do I by-pass/discard the APC?

Unread 02/19/2015, 11:59 AM   #107
DaveMorris
VP, SDMAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
The other probe probe with molex plugs into I think my sl1 module. Can I use that also with the proper pin layout crimped to an rj45?
Yes, but remember the plug for it is an RJ11, not RJ45. It is a little bit smaller and is the same connector as the bus connectors.

Unread 02/19/2015, 12:27 PM   #108
n2585722
Registered Member

I think it plugs into the two small RJ connectors. There may be a cable for it.

Unread 02/19/2015, 06:27 PM   #109
janes_mw
Registered Member

got mine, have the can't find the network issue like a few others. I will figure out, just frustrating.

mike

300G 96x24x30, BK250 Skimmer with Avast Swabbie, LED/T5, Geo CaRx with Masterflex effluent cntl, Zeovite User - Avast Marine Tumbler, Archon control, Vortech MP60,Tunze 6125, & Jebao RW20 making waves
Unread 02/19/2015, 08:46 PM   #110
wilsonreefs
Registered Member

Hey Dave and "n2585722", lol. You guys on RC, in my opinion, are lucky to have these guys around to help out. I've been a RKE owner for about 8 years and these guys have helped me more than I can say over at the DA forum. Eric has been a big help as well. I have always backed DA with all their problems, but if you look closely, you will see that their problems (talking about the SL2v2), were in fact them wanting to get things right this time. I have worked in R&D for many years, it takes a long time to get things right and a long time to get them into customers hands. One of the problems they had is the salinity probe the first time around, even though they were tested out the wadzoo, were not working. They did what was necessary to fix the problem. Did it take a long time, Yup, but would people of been happier if they just went to another supplier and released a product that might or might not work, Probably, at least until they found out there were problems again. That's why testing and development took so long. Wanting problems gone this time. Job accomplished. Any way, don't give up on DA they have a lot of good things coming. Their customer support................. I can't comment on that, but hopefully they're working on that.
Carl

wilsonreefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2015, 01:05 AM   #111
DaveMorris
VP, SDMAS

Thanks for the kind words Carl. I agree with you on the R&D aspect of things as well. DA certainly needs to improve on the CS side, but I do not have the inside track on what they are doing to improve. There are a few very cool things coming up now that the Archon is shipping and I am excited to get them going on my system.

Unread 02/20/2015, 08:26 AM   #112
shellsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janes_mw View Post
got mine, have the can't find the network issue like a few others. I will figure out, just frustrating.

mike
If you have not found it or tried this yet, see my post on 2/17. Reset button !!!!!

Unread 02/20/2015, 12:47 PM   #113
janes_mw
Registered Member

Got it! Eric worked me through it. Seems like my router did not take the host name so we just had to find the IP address. Up and running!

Unread 02/24/2015, 08:04 AM   #114
kenman345
Registered Member

Hey everyone,

So, this isnt exactly the easiest thing to replicate, and for now is a bit of a test of what the Archon can do. As such, I am not posting up the means by which I accomplished this, but might do so in the future.

https://twitter.com/KensArchon

I hope to get more things to provide tweets, such as the temperature information in tweets for when the tank is getting hot or cold below specific parameters. I hope you enjoy watching what it does.

As a fair warning, this is a bit experimental, so you might not want to have the tweets give you mobile notifications just yet, as I have been doing a few test tweets here and there.

kenman345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2015, 09:36 AM   #115
shellsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenman345 View Post
Hey everyone,

So, this isnt exactly the easiest thing to replicate, and for now is a bit of a test of what the Archon can do. As such, I am not posting up the means by which I accomplished this, but might do so in the future.

https://twitter.com/KensArchon

I hope to get more things to provide tweets, such as the temperature information in tweets for when the tank is getting hot or cold below specific parameters. I hope you enjoy watching what it does.

As a fair warning, this is a bit experimental, so you might not want to have the tweets give you mobile notifications just yet, as I have been doing a few test tweets here and there.
Very cool kenman. I will look forward to your updates.

Unread 02/24/2015, 12:43 PM   #116
DaveMorris
VP, SDMAS

What Ken has done is due to the fact that a large portion of the Archon system is open source. You can add in your own code to do things like what Ken has done, including putting webcam window on the home page. Flexibility is pretty good for those who wish to customize things on their own.

Unread 02/24/2015, 08:19 PM   #117
janes_mw
Registered Member

This is one of the reasons I stuck with the "wait" for my Archon. Open source, although not my forte, allows the "sharing forum" of the power users to share with us "dummies" the capabilities they invent. There are alot of "Oh my Apex does that" but there are alot of subtle differences. I have had both and so far, I like my Archon (other than my stupid Arris Router issues I have).

mike

Unread 02/25/2015, 01:41 AM   #118
DaveMorris
VP, SDMAS

Mike, I just noticed that your tank dimensions are the same as my previous tank. I loved that tank size. I am stuck with a 130g now due to our current home.

Unread 02/25/2015, 08:11 AM   #119
Volcom698
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janes_mw View Post
This is one of the reasons I stuck with the "wait" for my Archon. Open source, although not my forte, allows the "sharing forum" of the power users to share with us "dummies" the capabilities they invent. There are alot of "Oh my Apex does that" but there are alot of subtle differences. I have had both and so far, I like my Archon (other than my stupid Arris Router issues I have).

mike
So you like the Archon better then any other controller you used? I still need to figure out which controller I want to go with. This controller seems great though.

Volcom698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2015, 08:25 AM   #120
kenman345
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellsea View Post
Very cool kenman. I will look forward to your updates.
I fixed the Tweet Spam that I was experiencing. Now the only spam from that account might be when I try adding things in the future and test it a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMorris View Post
What Ken has done is due to the fact that a large portion of the Archon system is open source. You can add in your own code to do things like what Ken has done, including putting webcam window on the home page. Flexibility is pretty good for those who wish to customize things on their own.
Yes, flexibility is nice. Everything I have done is reproducible, but as of now, requires a bit of knowledge to make sure future updates do not overwrite my customization.

I am working on a more permanent solution, although it requires the use of an external unit. I will elaborate more if that comes to fruition. Right now I am just theorizing and researching.

For anyone wanting to customize the Archon a little, please PM me your idea and I can discuss how we might be able to approach that. If a viable and clear solution to any task is easily reproducible, we can then share it here or start a new thread.

kenman345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2015, 06:56 PM   #121
cidbozek
Registered Member

Received my archon yesterday and have been trying ever since to get it started. I plug it in wait for the orange light, pull up available wireless networks and it shows up, so I connect to iit and open a browser window, type 192.168.10.1 and nothing happens. Tried resetting, tried hard wired to the modem, tried different devices and they all show it and connect to it but don't open the setup page. Anyone got anything else I might try?

Current Tank Info: 90 Mixed reef,Radion xp30w pro,RO Diablo,MP40,MP10s,Sump with fuge,40 breeder frag tank
cidbozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2015, 08:56 PM   #122
n2585722
Registered Member

You do have the USB memory stick connected to the USB port? If so power down the Archon and plug the Memory stick into a computer and make sure it is OK. You can copy it OT a folder on you computer as a backup while you are at it. If it is good you may want to contact DA support. It may be an issue with the files on that memory. It contains all of the webpages and some of the programming. It should have had this connected to the port when it arrived.

Unread 02/26/2015, 07:23 AM   #123
cidbozek
Registered Member

Yes it is connected, I have tried it with and without(no I haven't removed it with power to the unit). Ok so I tired to put it into computer and it says scan and fix or continue without scan and fix. I hit without as to not change anything on the drive. Its full of files and I can see them(guess that doesn't mean anything they could be messed up). Im gonna back up the files on it and remove it and retry, if it says scan and fix again, should I choose it or just wait til I hear from DA?

Current Tank Info: 90 Mixed reef,Radion xp30w pro,RO Diablo,MP40,MP10s,Sump with fuge,40 breeder frag tank
Unread 02/26/2015, 07:28 AM   #124
cidbozek
Registered Member

If it is the flash drive, I would think one could download files from DA website?

Unread 02/26/2015, 11:50 AM   #125
cidbozek
Registered Member

Update to all interested

Eric called me and we tried a few things, looks like something in the programming is malfunctioning. Its being taken care of as I post.