Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/13/2016, 08:15 PM   #26
schwebb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekt View Post
I've read the FAQ many times......I've tried just about everything now. I've adjusted the height to the max level and down to the lowest level, I've adjusted the water level even the adjusted the air valve still no skimmate. I am getting brown gunk in the neck with light foam but it doesn't foam enough to make it over the neck of the skimmer. If I adjust the water level I can get it to wet skim but its almost clear liquid with just bubbles not really a foam. According to the simplicity website brown waste in the neck is a sign that the skimmer is broken in. So technically I guess it is broken in, just not skimming. Not sure why I'm having such a hard time with this skimmer. Its been going for around 3-4 weeks now and I'm about ready to give up and sell it
Double check to make sure nothing is in the impeller or blocking the air line. Sounds like it may not be running at full speed or clogged

Current Tank Info: 120
schwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2016, 01:37 AM   #27
Jayreefer
Registered Member

These look like a direct copy of my RLSS.

Jayreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2016, 12:55 PM   #28
kzaveri19
Registered Member

Do they use Jebao pumps? If so which ones?

Unread 11/14/2016, 11:13 AM   #29
Emory777
Registered Member

I tried going to their web site and it has been disabled or not found. Anyone know if they are still in business?

Emory777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2016, 08:18 AM   #30
bo0sted2g
Registered Member

website seems to be working again

also if any of you guys have pictures of these skimmers up and running for a while can you post up some pictures?

I am on the fence between this and an IceCap K2, these simplicity skimmers look real nice and have some great features
just looking for some Photo Justice on how they perform

Last edited by bo0sted2g; 12/03/2016 at 08:30 AM.
bo0sted2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2016, 09:51 AM   #31
Emory777
Registered Member

I went ahead and bought the DC240 model and I am very happy I did. It certainly outperforms my Reef Octobpus 150 Classic by a long shot. Much quieter also. Now I get skimmate in one day what took one week for the Octopus to produce. So far, an excellent value considering a quiet DC pump. The only benefit to controlling the pump is you can turn it down and take the cup off for cleaning with no danger of foam running into the sump. Other than that I see no valid reason for wanting to reduce the water volume going into the skimmer. My copy seems to work best at a depth of 7.5 inches.

Unread 12/08/2016, 07:38 AM   #32
JoeTSI
Registered Member

Well my 240DC kicked the bucket last night after only 5 months of use. Going to contact Simplicity today but the pump appears to have died overnight. The controller is powered but the pump refuses to start. Tried cleaning it before work, let it set for 10 minutes, still no go. Hopefully they stand by their warranty!

Unread 12/08/2016, 08:02 AM   #33
schwebb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTSI View Post
Well my 240DC kicked the bucket last night after only 5 months of use. Going to contact Simplicity today but the pump appears to have died overnight. The controller is powered but the pump refuses to start. Tried cleaning it before work, let it set for 10 minutes, still no go. Hopefully they stand by their warranty!
you'll be the fist one I've heard having a pump fail in such short time. Please follow up on how it went

Unread 12/08/2016, 08:44 AM   #34
Emory777
Registered Member

I woke up this morning to a loud noise coming from my stand. Turned out it was the pump on the DC240 making the noise although it was working. I shut it down for 10 minutes and then restarted. So far so good. May have been some debris in there. Other than that, it has been a very good performer.

Unread 12/08/2016, 08:54 AM   #35
schwebb
Registered Member

Just FYI, I've been running mine now for over a year and no issues at all. It's doing a great job. I recently did do a big cleaning on it, and had some debris in the air inlet. After a day or so to re slime up its doing well as before

Unread 12/08/2016, 12:54 PM   #36
robgonsailing
Registered Member

The pump on my 240 DC died overnight but after confirming with customer service that it was the pump motor, they sent out a replacement the next day. I was impressed with how quickly they resolved this.

robgonsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2016, 01:12 PM   #37
Emory777
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgonsailing View Post
The pump on my 240 DC died overnight but after confirming with customer service that it was the pump motor, they sent out a replacement the next day. I was impressed with how quickly they resolved this.
Great news to hear. Not too many companies respond that fast.

Unread 12/08/2016, 09:56 PM   #38
10secv6
Registered Member

Is the 240 big enough for cad lights artisan 125

10secv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2016, 01:39 PM   #39
Emory777
Registered Member

If it will be SPS and heavily dominated, I'd opt for the next size up. My experience tells me the Simplicity skimmers are not overrated like a lot of other brands where your told model X will handle a 200 gallon tank but when you read the details that 200 gallon tank is fish only.....then 150 lightly stocked reef and 100 gallon full SPS reef.

Unread 12/09/2016, 01:51 PM   #40
scooter31707
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10secv6 View Post
Is the 240 big enough for cad lights artisan 125
I believe the 240 will be good enough. I have got the 540dc model on my 240 that is medium-stock right now and I honestly think I have too much skimmer. These things are powerful. I believe their rating is close to being spot-on. Also with their return pumps too. I have 3200 model and I am only running it on 30%. Too powerful and a waste of money for me.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2017, 02:04 PM   #41
PilotMaximus
Registered Member

Just finishing up my 180g build and the last piece of equipment I have to buy is the skimmer. I was waiting for the new EShopps Axium X-220 to come out which looks good but now I just came across these Simplicity skimmers. Now Im kind of torn between the two. I know the new Eshopps havent been out long but was still wondering if anyone had experience with both.

PilotMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2017, 03:16 PM   #42
Emory777
Registered Member

I think the Simplicity is the better buy. It is DC and it sure appears maintenance would be simpler. I have had my Simplicity running now for almost two months and it does a darn good job of waste removal and once broke in it is a set and forget skimmer.

Unread 01/25/2017, 04:49 PM   #43
Ron Popeil
Love them clownfish.

after reading these comments, i felt like calling their customer service number just to ask them directly. i figured id get a message and a call back a week later, but i spoke to a real person. very helpful. if youre on the fence and shopping around, just try calling and speaking to them directly.

Current Tank Info: 150 DD
Ron Popeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2017, 02:41 AM   #44
Rodedidi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ROOK View Post
Big fan of the 120 I'm running. Very quiet and works great. Cant beat it for the price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I'm interested in this skimmer too. Have you had other skimmers before? How did the noise levels compare?

Rodedidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2017, 06:08 PM   #45
liquidfunk
Premium Member

I have a Simplicity 800, the pump is dead quiet, the most noise actually comes from all the air it sucks. The air silencer sucking so much air is the only thing that makes any noise.

Unread 02/01/2017, 10:19 PM   #46
Cirostar
Registered Member

800 dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidfunk View Post
I have a Simplicity 800, the pump is dead quiet, the most noise actually comes from all the air it sucks. The air silencer sucking so much air is the only thing that makes any noise.
I should receive my 800dc friday and am curious to know what water level you run yours in?

Thanks.

Cirostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2017, 10:27 PM   #47
f3honda4me
Registered Member

I just put together my 120dc. It's going in the sump of my reefer 170. I have heard great things about these skimmers.

f3honda4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2017, 11:06 AM   #48
liquidfunk
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirostar View Post
I should receive my 800dc friday and am curious to know what water level you run yours in?

Thanks.
I finally measured, its at 10.5"

Unread 02/17/2017, 12:15 PM   #49
Ron Popeil
Love them clownfish.

i just added an 800 to my 150g reef to replace a reefoctopus sro 3000int.

the difference in noise alone was worth the (minor) investment! the simplicity skimmer is silent, i cant hear it inside my stand. my vortechs are now the only audible part of my aquarium.

skimmer is high quality and will be very easy to maintain and clean. so far i am THRILLED with this skimmer.

Current Tank Info: 150 DD
Ron Popeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 01:03 PM   #50
CDGnSTL
Registered Member

So Far - Pretty Good

My 120 has been setup for about a week now; it's starting to kick into gear. To start, I put the DC motor up to full speed and set the air control just a bit over the recommended notch since it was only bubbling up about half way... adjusted the sump water level to 8" and that seemed to help quite a bit. My only complaints is that it produces A LOT of micro bubbles which is messing with my Auto Aqua Smart (or is it) ATO. My Reef Octo on another tank doesn't do this at all - am i doing something wrong? While the materials seem decent its not weighted so adjusting it is a who handed operation.

CDGnSTL is offline   Reply With Quote