Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/25/2017, 02:59 PM   #51
Roberto CRC
Registered Member

Hi frends, to those who have It, It has been several months yo have It. How did it go?

Enviado desde mi HUAWEI GRA-L09 mediante Tapatalk

Roberto CRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2017, 09:17 PM   #52
cweller
Registered Member

I just picked up the 120 today for my Red Sea 170. Set it up as recommended and opened the drain valve so it overflows back into the sump for now. The owner of my LFS recommended this brand to me and I was able to see one running on a tank in the store. It's extremely quiet.

cweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2017, 01:12 PM   #53
mako61
Registered Member

I have had the 320 running a couple months on a new tank. At first I had it in 9.5 inches of water. At that depth it produced a lot bubbles into the sump even at lower pump speeds. ( 4 of 6 i think ) I raised it to 6.5 inches of water and it still produces bubbles into the sump but a lot less even at full speed. It does raise the water a bit more when stopped now.

Im returning to reefing after a 15 year break. This is my first needle wheel skimmer so I dont know how common it is for bubbles to escape. This may be "normal" I just dont know. Currently there are only a few fine bubbles getting out.

I have a red sea 525 the bubble trap with foam stops the bubbles. Have not tried without the foam, they may get past. But really its not a big deal after moving it up a bit.

Other than the bubble issue the skimmer works fine. very quiet and easy to adjust. I currently skim pretty wet, I may try and get a little thicker skim as my tank matures. The stuff it produces is medium green and very smelly so I know its working.

One interesting thing is at full pump speed and the air value all way open the pump seems to cavitate. AT least that what I think its doing. max air + max pump there is way less foam and water level drops alot ?

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 01:34 AM   #54
Kinetic
Registered Member

I've been running my simplicity 120 dc on a cycling tank (dead rock/sand, dosing ammonium chloride), and before that I had run it in a vinegar bath for a couple hours.

I haven't been able to get my skimmer to skim enough bubbles to reach the cup. There are some bubbles, but they don't build up. The water level, even with the pump at full blast, only goes up half way into the skimmer body, and the bubbles don't build at all past that.

It could be my tank is just too new and has nothing to skim, but even so, shouldn't it be overflowing like crazy at least with all the adjustments at full blast?

I closed the bypass all the way, opened up the air as much as possible, the water level and bubbles are still very low.

Any thoughts?

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 07:39 AM   #55
schwebb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
I've been running my simplicity 120 dc on a cycling tank (dead rock/sand, dosing ammonium chloride), and before that I had run it in a vinegar bath for a couple hours.

I haven't been able to get my skimmer to skim enough bubbles to reach the cup. There are some bubbles, but they don't build up. The water level, even with the pump at full blast, only goes up half way into the skimmer body, and the bubbles don't build at all past that.

It could be my tank is just too new and has nothing to skim, but even so, shouldn't it be overflowing like crazy at least with all the adjustments at full blast?

I closed the bypass all the way, opened up the air as much as possible, the water level and bubbles are still very low.

Any thoughts?

I think it will take more time. From looking at the image, the body to super clean which tells me theres nothing to skim. You can always raise the water level a tiny bit to see if that helps, but I don't really see any darkness one the top of the bubbles, so I'd leave it for now

Current Tank Info: 120
schwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 11:31 AM   #56
Kinetic
Registered Member

Thanks for the thoughts!

Yeah, the tank is pretty much without anything in it. I'm just weirded out that even with the pump at full blast and bypass closed up, it doesn't even get close.

Unread 09/26/2017, 12:34 PM   #57
liquidfunk
Premium Member

Keep in mind the white arrow icon thingie is just a reference too you can and may have to turn the arrow past the tips of the white part. You can actually close it all the way by putting the arrow opposite the stationary part. (Like at 6:00 with the stationary part at 12:00)

Unread 09/26/2017, 01:46 PM   #58
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidfunk View Post
Keep in mind the white arrow icon thingie is just a reference too you can and may have to turn the arrow past the tips of the white part. You can actually close it all the way by putting the arrow opposite the stationary part. (Like at 6:00 with the stationary part at 12:00)
Yeah, I turned it completely around and let it sit for a couple hours, no change.

So my question is: when you guys are cycling a tank, can you get your Simplicity skimmer to overflow?

I think my skimmer is acting really strangely. Everyone keeps saying: Just wait. But seriously, I don't think this is normal.

Unread 09/26/2017, 02:23 PM   #59
liquidfunk
Premium Member

Yes I can make it over flow but I have a mature reef not a sterile one.

Unread 09/26/2017, 03:05 PM   #60
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes I can make it over flow but I have a mature reef not a sterile one.
What's your bypass/wedge pipe setting?

Thank you!

Unread 09/26/2017, 03:07 PM   #61
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
I contacted Simplicity, they returned my email pretty fast!

I took a video for them, hopefully they can either say this is totally normal and I'm just hypersensitive (lol, not surprising I guess), or they can address a possible problem with it.

I just tried turning the wedge pipe all the way around, and the water level IS GOING UP. But it also sounds like a stalling motorcycle. A lot of vibration somewhere when this happens. Do you guys get that? Maybe I need to take the pump apart and make sure everything is set in place.

Unread 09/26/2017, 03:56 PM   #62
Papermonkeys
Registered Member

I might confuse you more than help you, But I also recently bought a 120DC for my reefter 250. I'm done cycling and have 2 really small clowns with a cleaner shrimp. It hasn't even been a week since I put it in, but I left the big wedge setting to the "break in setting" because thats what they said to do for a week. I got a small amount of overflow in the cup right now, but mostly the water/bubble level is visibly under the collection cup. I probably won't mess with it until next week.

A dude that was in the LFS when I picked up the skimmer said he loves his Simplicity skimmers and said that I should want the water level right up around the bottom of the collection cup within the skimmer. So I will probably try that once the "break-in" period is over. As previously mentioned I am new to this hobby, so I would take anything I've said with a grain of salt haha

Papermonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2017, 06:45 PM   #63
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papermonkeys View Post
I might confuse you more than help you, But I also recently bought a 120DC for my reefter 250. I'm done cycling and have 2 really small clowns with a cleaner shrimp. It hasn't even been a week since I put it in, but I left the big wedge setting to the "break in setting" because thats what they said to do for a week. I got a small amount of overflow in the cup right now, but mostly the water/bubble level is visibly under the collection cup. I probably won't mess with it until next week.

A dude that was in the LFS when I picked up the skimmer said he loves his Simplicity skimmers and said that I should want the water level right up around the bottom of the collection cup within the skimmer. So I will probably try that once the "break-in" period is over. As previously mentioned I am new to this hobby, so I would take anything I've said with a grain of salt haha
Thank you for your input! It's helpful for sure. I am getting fast responses from Simplicity, so I think I'll be in good hands. I'll update you guys on any updates. I'm pretty happy that the customer support is so great.

Unread 09/27/2017, 11:08 AM   #64
mako61
Registered Member

I have a 320 simplicity skimmer running for about 4 months.

The biggest issue I had is hard to understand. If I set the air adjust on the muffle to wide open I get almost no foam. I have to adjust the needle valve to get foam. I slowly adjust / close the valve then at a point the foam will go crazy. I think the pump needle wheel cavitates ( total guess )

I take a flashlight and watch inside at the pump intake int he sump. I can see the needle wheel spinning and the bubble on it. The pattern changes at a point as I adjust the air intake. When the pattern changes ( kinda looks smoother/even around the wheel ) I get a lot of foam. Before that I get very little. As I close the valve more from there I start getting less foam as expected.

this is just my experience, so milage may vary.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
Unread 09/27/2017, 12:44 PM   #65
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako61 View Post
I have a 320 simplicity skimmer running for about 4 months.

The biggest issue I had is hard to understand. If I set the air adjust on the muffle to wide open I get almost no foam. I have to adjust the needle valve to get foam. I slowly adjust / close the valve then at a point the foam will go crazy. I think the pump needle wheel cavitates ( total guess )

I take a flashlight and watch inside at the pump intake int he sump. I can see the needle wheel spinning and the bubble on it. The pattern changes at a point as I adjust the air intake. When the pattern changes ( kinda looks smoother/even around the wheel ) I get a lot of foam. Before that I get very little. As I close the valve more from there I start getting less foam as expected.

this is just my experience, so milage may vary.
That's really interesting! Around how many threads are you down to when it starts to foam up?

Unread 09/27/2017, 03:26 PM   #66
mako61
Registered Member

I close the needle valve all the way. Then open about 5/8 of 1 turn.

Unread 09/27/2017, 03:37 PM   #67
mako61
Registered Member

Here is a pic I cleaned the cup a few hours ago.

Unread 09/28/2017, 05:59 PM   #68
Kinetic
Registered Member

That looks pretty good Mako. Thank you!

I tried the same but didn't have any luck =(

Unread 10/16/2017, 07:24 PM   #69
Kinetic
Registered Member

Update:

Skimmer is finally skimming, but at 100% pump speed, wedge pipe completely closed, and airline opened all the way. But in this setting, the whole skimmer is pretty loud.

I've already gotten new impellers and pumps from Simplicity customer service to try to figure out the noise. The latest is that the pump is totally silent, but as soon as the wedge pipe is closed and there is some backpressure, as well as air, it's loud enough to hear in the next room.

I wonder if this is normal and I'm just super sensitive, or if something else weird is going on.

Anyone have any decibel readings on their Simplicity 120? I used an iPhone decibel app and got about 61 decibels next to the skimmer. I've heard NYOS 120 users reporting 58 or 59 and saying it's completely silent otherwise.

Also, skimmer is skimming pretty wet right now, should I reduce pump speed to get it thicker?

Thanks!

Unread 01/21/2018, 09:29 AM   #70
notclear
Registered Member

Do they have automatic neck cleaner?

Unread 01/21/2018, 02:22 PM   #71
mako61
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notclear View Post
Do they have automatic neck cleaner?
I dont think they do.

Unread 01/21/2018, 02:24 PM   #72
notclear
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako61 View Post
I dont think they do.
That is too bad. Thanks.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Unread 03/26/2018, 08:44 PM   #73
moondoggy4
Registered Member

What is the color of the pump for the 120 model?n Is there a Gen 1 and Gen 2 pump?

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2018, 09:28 PM   #74
LeJeune981
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
What is the color of the pump for the 120 model?n Is there a Gen 1 and Gen 2 pump?
Mine is blue

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

LeJeune981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2018, 09:36 PM   #75
LeJeune981
Registered Member

I just set up my tank today.. deep blue tower 74 and a little sump for now..

Anyways tank was super cloudy from just dumping 40 lbs of ocean direct live sand.. when I kicked the skimmer on i adjusted it a bit... not per the break in instructions... but who reads them anyhow lol..

It's been running about 3 hours.. and the skimmer has skimmed out almost all off the sand partials floating through the water.. I bet in a few more hours the tank will be clear!!!

I'm extremely impressed by this skimmer...

I was torn between the jebao coral box skimmer or this one.. price wise they were similar.. besides body shape.. I think they are basically the same skimmers..
I think I'm gonna buy another and put it on my 90 gallon reef...

Long story short... awesome skimmer..

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

LeJeune981 is offline   Reply With Quote