Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/06/2016, 09:13 PM   #76
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Mine showed up today! First impression was the generous amount of bubble wrap used on the outside. It could have been air dropped from 30,000 feet and been fine. Otherwise, it appears well made and sturdy. The peristaltic pump is solid with good weight. Can't wait to fire it up, but I still need a regulator and CO2 canister.

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
HippieSmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2016, 11:12 AM   #77
KritikaL
Registered Member

got my ac3 today, wow the build quality on this is absolutely unreal... i got the degassing chamber as well.

I cannot believe how big this is in comparison to my old calc reactor i had a 601 Deltec, and this is probably double the size for media? maybe even more, then you have the mixing part and the degassing section..

aesthetically looks rather nice as well! my only thing i would say is i wish they put handles or something on the lids to make it easier for us to get them on and off..

Everyone who seems to make reactors always leave this issue alone.. Although for a calc reactor it wont be 6-12 months before I have to open it up again.

Make sure you check the dimensions prior to buying though! im lucky this can go under my stairs, for this ac3 to fit under the tank you would need a very small sump! its absolutely massive.

Probably overkill for my 6x3x2.

We`ll see!

KritikaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2016, 11:42 AM   #78
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

So, I got this regulator on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harris-HU702...rksid=p2047675

Do I need different fittings? I assume the regulator itself is still usable.

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
Unread 12/08/2016, 12:59 PM   #79
wishntoboutside
professional snow flake

still waiting for mine. I hope those little elf's get it here quickly. I was told it may have shipped so it should be here soon.
pictures anyone?

Current Tank Info: 450 gallon peninsula tank 72*48*30 filled with a bunch of frags and trying to grow them out.
wishntoboutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2016, 01:07 PM   #80
gus6464
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieSmell View Post
So, I got this regulator on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harris-HU702...rksid=p2047675

That looks fine but from the looks of it you will need a cga320 nut and nipple and all the fittings for the post body kit.

What needle valve are going with? That's a nice regulator and you got a nice reactor so I would pair it up with an Ideal with vernier micrometer in either stainless or brass.

gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2016, 01:42 PM   #81
Przemek_PacSun
Registered Member

Quote:

It's hard to see anything on this photo. Do you have any with the bag?

Przemek_PacSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2016, 03:23 PM   #82
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemek_PacSun View Post
It's hard to see anything on this photo. Do you have any with the bag?
No, it just shipped today, so I haven't seen it in person.

Unread 12/08/2016, 03:24 PM   #83
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
That looks fine but from the looks of it you will need a cga320 nut and nipple and all the fittings for the post body kit.

What needle valve are going with? That's a nice regulator and you got a nice reactor so I would pair it up with an Ideal with vernier micrometer in either stainless or brass.
Thanks. Would you stick with a needle valve, or go with the aquarium plants carbon doser?

Unread 12/08/2016, 03:40 PM   #84
gus6464
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks. Would you stick with a needle valve, or go with the aquarium plants carbon doser?
I really dislike the carbon doser but if you want to spend the money it's an option. Not sure what they sell the electronic meter valve for without the regulator although it's probably still close to $300 since the regulator on the full carbon doser is a very cheap unit.

An Ideal valve will be just as precise and will last you forever. Electronics can and will fail. A mechanical valve like this is highly unlikely to fail and nuke your tank.

Last I checked the brass Ideal with vernier micrometer is around $100. Not sure how much the stainless one is.

gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2016, 05:20 PM   #85
africangrey
Registered Member

Not sure if you are familiar with this thread which has tons of info on how to build a dual stage regulator like the one you have.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2461771

africangrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2016, 06:17 PM   #86
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
I really dislike the carbon doser but if you want to spend the money it's an option. Not sure what they sell the electronic meter valve for without the regulator although it's probably still close to $300 since the regulator on the full carbon doser is a very cheap unit.

An Ideal valve will be just as precise and will last you forever. Electronics can and will fail. A mechanical valve like this is highly unlikely to fail and nuke your tank.

Last I checked the brass Ideal with vernier micrometer is around $100. Not sure how much the stainless one is.
Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by africangrey View Post
Not sure if you are familiar with this thread which has tons of info on how to build a dual stage regulator like the one you have.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2461771
Great thread, thank you.

Unread 12/08/2016, 07:31 PM   #87
acesq
Registered Member

If you want to put together a good dual stage regulator, pm alanle, he's the OP on the thread africangrey linked to. He hooked me up with a very nice unit.

Unread 12/09/2016, 12:53 AM   #88
robbous
Registered Member

This is the regulator I purchased for my unit and was told it was a good choice
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/carbon...FRUkgQodan4GOA

Current Tank Info: 500 Gallon display tank 200 gallon basement sump
robbous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2016, 04:14 PM   #89
lionfish300
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbous View Post
This is the regulator I purchased for my unit and was told it was a good choice
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/carbon...FRUkgQodan4GOA
So Rob do you have your hook up yet?

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2016, 01:39 AM   #90
robbous
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionfish300 View Post
So Rob do you have your hook up yet?
No I do not unfortunately i've never used a calcium reactor before let alone something like this I currently dose my calcium and alkalinity. I always consult with someone that is very knowledgeable in the hobby and he is coming here the 16th and we're going to decide where to put the AC4 unit with degassing chamber and aird algae reactor. It'll probably be another couple of weeks before I have this hooked up maybe even after the holidays as my friend will be helping me with this and doing it the correct way .

Unread 12/12/2016, 05:06 PM   #91
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

My regulator came today and now I have a question, haha. I thought I needed a regulator that outputs up to 15 psi, but I've been reading today that it's more like 20-30 psi. My regulator is designed to go up to 15, but the dial goes up to 30. Will this work? Does the Calcfeeder have the same requirements as a normal calcium reactor?

Unread 12/12/2016, 05:19 PM   #92
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

MTC sets the regulator @ 15 PSI, I run mine @ 7 PSI on my CA Reactor
High pressure is not needed.

Unread 12/12/2016, 07:47 PM   #93
yifan917
Registered Member

Has anyone set the unit up and running yet? Would love to hear some reviews - videos even better

yifan917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2016, 12:41 PM   #94
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Is it OK for the solenoid to go after the needle valve? Most setups have it the other way.

Unread 12/13/2016, 02:44 PM   #95
Przemek_PacSun
Registered Member

yes, solenoid should be after needle valve(precise regulation).
Additionally - remember about using short tubings between valve and solenoid (5-10cm maximum) because if there will be too high pressure - that tubing will work like "buffer" and after solenoid open - too much gas will go to mixing chamber.

Przemek_PacSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2016, 02:55 PM   #96
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemek_PacSun View Post
yes, solenoid should be after needle valve(precise regulation).
Additionally - remember about using short tubings between valve and solenoid (5-10cm maximum) because if there will be too high pressure - that tubing will work like "buffer" and after solenoid open - too much gas will go to mixing chamber.
Thanks. I'm trying to get this running, but my regulator arrived with a damaged guage, so it'll be a little longer.

Unread 12/19/2016, 10:10 AM   #97
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Is a needle valve required?

Edit: the answer is yes.

Last edited by HippieSmell; 12/19/2016 at 10:20 AM. Reason: I learned.
Unread 12/20/2016, 04:07 AM   #98
robbous
Registered Member

Great review here I'll be hooking mine up 1st week of January
http://blog.coralwonders.com/en/calcfeeder/

Unread 12/20/2016, 09:34 AM   #99
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbous View Post
Great review here I'll be hooking mine up 1st week of January
http://blog.coralwonders.com/en/calcfeeder/
Thanks for posting. It's nice to finally see a review of something I already purchased, haha.

It's nice to finally know what dosing pump is used. Kamoer isn't familiar to me, but people seem to think it's pretty good.

Unread 12/20/2016, 01:16 PM   #100
africangrey
Registered Member

One thing worries me is the noisy Kamoer pump as reported in the review. I think I will count on Masterflex for its silent operation as this point.

africangrey is offline   Reply With Quote