Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/19/2018, 11:28 AM   #1
CLM65
Registered Member

Replacement pump for Turboflotor T1000 skimmer

I realize my skimmer is old and not top of the line, but it seems to work ok and I would rather try to make it better versus investing in a whole new skimmer. Can anyone recommend a submersible pump to replace the original Ocean Runner 2500? This sits in the sump of a moderately loaded 180 g. Thanks!

CLM65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2018, 11:01 AM   #2
CLM65
Registered Member

Ok, I'm sensing no love for the Turboflotor. Which I can understand, as it is somewhat of a dinosaur and probably performs well below today's skimmer standards.

So I'm considering altering my approach and just replacing it with something newer/better. My problem is I don't want to spend a fortune. I'd like to stay in the mid-$200's if possible. So far I've found the Bubble Magus Curve 7 and Simplicity 240 DC. Any feedback between these two, or any better suggestions in this price range?

Unread 09/25/2018, 08:10 PM   #3
Gorgok
Registered Member

The 240 looks like it has a old style jebao pump in it, which my Coral Box D700 also had. The block eventually cooked? It appears at least and stopped running. I replaced it with a new jebao dcp style pump (same size, 3000) and swapped over the needle wheel/rotor and volute to the new block and it works fine again.

Old jebao pumps weren't that great (blue ones) in my experience, but the newer stuff is just fine.

Gorgok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2018, 04:41 AM   #4
CLM65
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply! I actually ordered the Simplicity 240 DC last night. The picture showed a black pump, so maybe it is the new style? Either way, good to know the potential pump issue and how you solved it. Thanks!

Unread 09/26/2018, 07:24 PM   #5
doradosteve
Registered Member

I love my Turboflotor!
It’s got to be 15 years old with ZERO issues

doradosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2018, 12:14 PM   #6
CLM65
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doradosteve View Post
I love my Turboflotor!
It’s got to be 15 years old with ZERO issues
LOL, I really can't complain too much about it. I'd guess mine is about as old as yours and hasn't been too much trouble. But it is about time for me to try something newer. I will say the pump on the 240 DC looks much smaller and is super quiet (not that I thought the Turboflotor's pump was loud). And the airline on the new skimmer is much bigger than the Turboflotor's. I did have a problem with the airline clogging occasionally, so hopefully that no longer occurs.

Unread 09/28/2018, 12:20 PM   #7
CLM65
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgok View Post
The 240 looks like it has a old style jebao pump in it, which my Coral Box D700 also had. The block eventually cooked? It appears at least and stopped running. I replaced it with a new jebao dcp style pump (same size, 3000) and swapped over the needle wheel/rotor and volute to the new block and it works fine again.

Old jebao pumps weren't that great (blue ones) in my experience, but the newer stuff is just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLM65 View Post
Thanks for the reply! I actually ordered the Simplicity 240 DC last night. The picture showed a black pump, so maybe it is the new style? Either way, good to know the potential pump issue and how you solved it. Thanks!
The skimmer arrived today. It does have the blue pump, so I was a little disappointed. I may just go ahead and order the newer one to have on hand for when this one fails.

Unread 09/28/2018, 02:47 PM   #8
Gorgok
Registered Member

Not sure how long mine was running, probably over a year, before it cooked. And it could be it was sort of my fault too, for letting snails get into the needle wheel and stall the motor.

I wouldn't worry about it until it stops personally. And who knows how long it would be, they may update the blocks even past the dcp- style by then.

Gorgok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2018, 08:33 AM   #9
CLM65
Registered Member

Just wanted to post a positive experience I had with my Simplicity skimmer. I had taken the cap off of the collection cup drain while I was breaking the skimmer in. I placed the cap in a spot that I shouldn’t have, and ended up losing it under my sump. I contacted the folks at Simplicity and they express-shipped a new one so that I would have it by the weekend. All at no charge. I realize the cap is not expensive, but for a company to not charge me for my goof up, and throw in express shipping on top of that, speaks volumes to me about their customer service. Plus the skimmer works great!

Unread 10/17/2018, 02:06 PM   #10
Joel@Simplicity
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLM65 View Post
Just wanted to post a positive experience I had with my Simplicity skimmer. I had taken the cap off of the collection cup drain while I was breaking the skimmer in. I placed the cap in a spot that I shouldn’t have, and ended up losing it under my sump. I contacted the folks at Simplicity and they express-shipped a new one so that I would have it by the weekend. All at no charge. I realize the cap is not expensive, but for a company to not charge me for my goof up, and throw in express shipping on top of that, speaks volumes to me about their customer service. Plus the skimmer works great!
Thank you CLM for sharing your experience, we really appreciate it!

Joel@Simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2018, 02:20 PM   #11
smatter
Registered Member

I hope you gave the Turboflotor a proper burial, preferably a flaming barge set adrift. Those hold a special place in my heart!

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote