Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/16/2018, 07:50 PM   #1
bplevy
Registered Member

Does a 60" tank require a 60" light fixture?

I am in the planning/ordering stage for a new reef system (likely no SPS, but softies and LPS). The tank is going to be an island sitting between the two support posts and where an old iMac (frozen on a fish tank screen saver) is currently located. The tank is going to be 60" by 24" by 24" with a 36" tall stand. The posts are 68" apart (inside to inside). The overflow and returns will be in the exact center of the tank. The stand will contain the sump/refugium and the electrical equipment. It looks like it will likely be 2019 before I receive the tank, stand and sump, but I promise a build series once things get moving.

The floor underneath has five 2x10's running the long axis of the tank with support pillars in the same locations as the ones pictured. There is power in both pillars that I already have hooked up to two dedicated circuits with GFCI.

I am leaning towards a combo T5/LED lighting fixture over the tank suspended from the ceiling. I am not sure whether or not I will leave the top open or use a glass top- I have two dogs and am concerned about fur.

My question is, Do I need to get a 60" T5 fixture, or can I effectively use a 48" T5 fixture?

Thanks!

Bruce

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0276.jpg (16.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0275.jpg (16.5 KB, 31 views)
bplevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2018, 08:48 PM   #2
iammrhappy
Registered Member

I have a 72x30 inch tank and I use a 60 inch ATI.

Tank lit up like a rocket

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Pizza >
iammrhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2018, 09:38 PM   #3
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammrhappy View Post
I have a 72x30 inch tank and I use a 60 inch ATI.

Tank lit up like a rocket

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Same, except LET retrofit. 6x80w t5 (5 foot). Par in the middle of the tank is close to 400 about midway down on 72x30x31. 150 Par at far ends.

Good choice on the t5/led combo.

Its good to create some gradients if you want to keep a variety.

As for the covering for dog hair, i wouldnt be worried. We have 6, and 3 stay in the garage where my open sump is. Cant say ive noticed much of anything to be worried about with dog hair. One is an Aussie shepherd and the other a belgian malinois (and a Chihuahua but he doesnt count for this discussion) so big shedders.

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2018, 04:50 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

You absolutely do not need a light the whole length..

Believe it or not I actually use a 24" T5 on a 48" tank...
Allows me to keep low light corals,etc... on the sides of the tank and really doesn't look as dim as one would think on the sides at all.. It spreads fairly well.. I have the light about 8" above the water..

Unread 10/17/2018, 09:19 AM   #5
cincyjim
Registered Member

I have a 48" T5 fixture on my 60" long tank and it works great. It's not as bright on the sides but like mcgyvr stated that's where I keep my corals don't like as much as light as others. In my case that's where I keep my frog spawn and torch corals.

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote