Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/17/2018, 01:28 PM   #1
ragin_cajun
Registered Member

Eheim Canister for QT Tank?

I have a freshwater 75 gallon tank I'd like to use as a quarantine for fish and coral that would go in my 125 Gallon DT....

Can I just use the Eheim 2217 as the bio and mechanical filtration for a saltwater QT tank? It has the Eheim ceramic bio media in it. I just cycle it, keep a fish in it all the time....I should be good, right?

ragin_cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2018, 01:58 AM   #2
bblumberg
Registered Member

Sure, this will work fine. I have replaced the Eheim Ehfisubstrat (the balls or porous rings) in all of my filters with Siporax which works much better for me (reduces NO3, which the Eheim media does not do as well).

For Fw, I run at least 2 x 2215 or 2 x 2217 in each large tank so I have a cycled one available when needed. Same story with sponge filters - I have several of these in each FW or SW quarantine tank ready to be deployed to smaller tanks where I might want to treat fish with one med or another. I have 3 SW quarantine tanks, 2 x 10g with sponge filters 1 x 40 g with an Eheim 2215 and 3 sponge filters. I don't worry much about keeping fish in the tanks, once the filters are cycled, the bacteria stick around at some level, even if there is not much of a nitrogen source. Of course, you would not want to go from zero to dozens of fish, but you get the idea.

Current Tank Info: 150G mixed reef (6x Blue Acro 20K Pro COB LEDs, 4x 80W T5 supplement), 150g fw discus (T5 lighting), 110G fw Angelfish (DIY LED lighting), 4 x 40 g frag tanks (DIY LED).
bblumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2018, 06:07 AM   #3
ragin_cajun
Registered Member

Great news! I'll get an RO/DI system plumbed up and stand up the 75 G first. I'll put some fish in QT while I'm building the 125.

ragin_cajun is offline   Reply With Quote