Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/12/2017, 04:44 PM   #2726
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavetonet View Post
Do you know why you are getting cyano in the first place?
The time I got it is when I just finished the 14 days cycle.
From NO3 of 100+ppm and PO4 of 0.38ppm to ULNS in 3 days - without any water change at all.
I think you want to look carefully at your actual organic balance in your system.
Peel back all the layers of cheatos, mechanical filtration and whatever else you have going on to control your nutrients.
Objectively see your input and output of nutrients with rate of tank water turnover ratio.

Anyway I have ramble on too much now.
Do I know why I got cyano?
I would assume it has to do with my no3 and amino additions after my nutrient reduction.
Personally, I don’t believe there is a unified theory as to why cyano shows up, nor a nutrient ratio that will actually cause it. There are just too many variables and chemical processes going on in a reef to pinpoint any one cause.
I’m not sure I know what ‘peel back the layers of cheato, mechanical filtration and whatever else you have going on to control your nutrients.
Objectively see your input and output of nutrients with rate of tank water turnover ratio.‘ means..
Once my fluconazole treatment is done, I will do a good clean out of detritus in my frag tank and fuge, removal as much cyano as I can from the frag rack and add some carbon. In the mean time, my cheato will be working out a new balance now that the bryopsis is gone.
If the cyano remains with my aminos and no3 additions stopped, I will does a slime remover... or maybe try wally’s Method of zeobak and coral snow.. although I already use AF’s version of coral snow- Build..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 05:11 PM   #2727
slavetonet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Do I know why I got cyano?
I would assume it has to do with my no3 and amino additions after my nutrient reduction.
Personally, I don’t believe there is a unified theory as to why cyano shows up, nor a nutrient ratio that will actually cause it. There are just too many variables and chemical processes going on in a reef to pinpoint any one cause.
I’m not sure I know what ‘peel back the layers of cheato, mechanical filtration and whatever else you have going on to control your nutrients.
Objectively see your input and output of nutrients with rate of tank water turnover ratio.‘ means..
Once my fluconazole treatment is done, I will do a good clean out of detritus in my frag tank and fuge, removal as much cyano as I can from the frag rack and add some carbon. In the mean time, my cheato will be working out a new balance now that the bryopsis is gone.
If the cyano remains with my aminos and no3 additions stopped, I will does a slime remover... or maybe try wally’s Method of zeobak and coral snow.. although I already use AF’s version of coral snow- Build..
I didn't know you are doing the fluconazole treatment.
That is your source of problem with the bryopsis dying and short burst of nutrients explosion. Which it happened to me on my previous tank when I did the same treatment.
It will go away naturally in about 1 month if you left your cheatos to their job.

I do believe there is a good ratio of N:P to stay within to keep the tank looking clean. 22:1 is the magic number that I have come up with after many trial and error. Corals really pump hard with growth and colours if I am feeding that ratio. Which doesn't cause algae bloom issues.

slavetonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 07:06 PM   #2728
reefmutt
Registered Member

I think i will let the cheato do its thing and not mess with no3 for a while..
Ill see where n goes... i expect it'll drop back down to next to nothing.. maybe ill just let it go this time..
maybe p will follow.. maybe not.
I haven't really just let the tank work itself out..
I'll do that this time..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 10/14/2017, 06:11 PM   #2729
Scorpius
Stick Head

Never had good luck with Chaeto or any macro algae. Got tired of the nutrient seesaw. Algae would grow like crazy and nitrate and phosphate would bottom out. Algae would die back and nitrate/phosphate would rise once again.

Not worth the parameter swings at the end of the day.

Unread 10/14/2017, 06:53 PM   #2730
Reefer40b
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Never had good luck with Chaeto or any macro algae. Got tired of the nutrient seesaw. Algae would grow like crazy and nitrate and phosphate would bottom out. Algae would die back and nitrate/phosphate would rise once again.

Not worth the parameter swings at the end of the day.
I find it more of a balance thing, dial back your lamp hrs on the cheato or use smaller amounts and pull out more growth more often until you find what your tank balance is...

Owner Hidden Treasure Corals LLC
Reefer40b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2017, 12:23 AM   #2731
gregkn73
Registered Member

I have experienced more than once chaeto growth stagnation but never died chaeto. IMO when chaeto die the cause is not the lack of nutrients but the lack of something I can not determine. I have a 20g plastic drum full with chaeto ,just a 6w lamp above it and sparingly fed, for amphipods propagation, and surprisingly chaeto is not dying, just not growing.

gregkn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2017, 07:09 AM   #2732
Scorpius
Stick Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer40b View Post
I find it more of a balance thing, dial back your lamp hrs on the cheato or use smaller amounts and pull out more growth more often until you find what your tank balance is...
Just another parameter to worry about. To each their own. Chaeto is a ticking parameter time bomb imo. I'd rather test for nitrate/phosphate and run some gfo and control my fish feedings and water changes.

Unread 10/15/2017, 09:50 AM   #2733
Alex Costa
Registered Member

Quote:
I haven't really just let the tank work itself out..
I'll do that this time..
I think that sometimes it's the best call.

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/153-tank-of-the-month

Current Tank Info: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2596707
Alex Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2017, 10:49 AM   #2734
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer40b View Post
Agreed 100% - not sure pulling works unless you really reduce the quantity of cheato, but reducing photoperiod will certainly reduce its efficiency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkn73 View Post
I have experienced more than once chaeto growth stagnation but never died chaeto. IMO when chaeto die the cause is not the lack of nutrients but the lack of something I can not determine. I have a 20g plastic drum full with chaeto ,just a 6w lamp above it and sparingly fed, for amphipods propagation, and surprisingly chaeto is not dying, just not growing.
Agreed also.. I don’t think it’s the nutrients (alone) that have an effect in cheato. Cheato, like zoox or any other plant (freshwater or marine or terrestrial need a group of nutrients/minerals to be happy- ones that I can think of: iron, zinc, manganese, potassium, iodine as well as n and p.. You’ll find these in almost all plant fertilizers...
Maybe plants from different environments have different requirements but I think some are universal..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Just another parameter to worry about. To each their own. Chaeto is a ticking parameter time bomb imo. I'd rather test for nitrate/phosphate and run some gfo and control my fish feedings and water changes.
To each their own, for sure.. I have never had success with carbon dosing. Or gfo usage for that matter.. And I’d say that Carbon/gfo usage is as much of a ticking time bomb and/or parameter swinger as any nutrient method, when not properly managed.. and I’d go further to say that cheato moves nutrients in a more gradual manner than gfo and Carbon. An like everything in reefing, once the balance is reached, easier to monitor/maintain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Costa View Post
I think that sometimes it's the best call.
Yes.. I will observe this time and watch for a while when n drops out. I won’t immediately reach for the nitrate bottles..

Unread 10/19/2017, 01:06 PM   #2735
Rakie
In Memoriam

Matt -- For me, cyano comes when my nutrients hit zero. It seems in my tank, nutrients allow more dominant life forms to take over where cyano normally would.

Every tank is different though, and one thing that surely seems to mess with cyano is heavy flow. I'm of the belief that 'too much flow' is a non-existent fairy tale. You could probably double your flow and see nothing but happy corals and fish developing muscle

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2017, 03:57 PM   #2736
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
Matt -- For me, cyano comes when my nutrients hit zero. It seems in my tank, nutrients allow more dominant life forms to take over where cyano normally would.

Every tank is different though, and one thing that surely seems to mess with cyano is heavy flow. I'm of the belief that 'too much flow' is a non-existent fairy tale. You could probably double your flow and see nothing but happy corals and fish developing muscle
I’ve never really nutrients at 0.. but n was pretty darn close when the cyano appeared. It isn’t too bad, really and only in my frag tank. It isn’t in the display at all.. and yes, my flow is not great in the frag tank. I might find another pump to add in there.
I have been dosing AF Build and Probio s nightly to copy Wally’s recipes of zeobak and coral snow. It seem sort of stagnant. It isn’t spreading or thriving right now..
I turned my skimmer back up as well over the past week. I’m sure 3 weeks of almost no skimming didn’t help things, either.
I’ll do a frag tank clean out and wc this weekend.
And maybe do some tests.. haven’t tested anything but alk in a while. It has been steady between 6.7-7.

Unread 10/20/2017, 04:44 PM   #2737
Rakie
In Memoriam

There's a million ways to skin a Reef Matt, don't sweat the small stuff. Cyano comes and goes. Pests are what really should scare you -- If it's not AEFW, I wouldn't be too worried buddy

And since you were so keen on Fox Flame pics, here's my latest, and one from 2-3 weeks ago

(A few days ago)

(2-3 weeks ago)

Last edited by Rakie; 10/20/2017 at 04:50 PM.
Unread 10/20/2017, 05:41 PM   #2738
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
There's a million ways to skin a Reef Matt, don't sweat the small stuff. Cyano comes and goes. Pests are what really should scare you -- If it's not AEFW, I wouldn't be too worried buddy

And since you were so keen on Fox Flame pics, here's my latest, and one from 2-3 weeks ago

(A few days ago)

(2-3 weeks ago)
Well, aefws, I’ve had in the tank for years.. no biggie. Peppermint shrimp control them very well.. only problem is after the hurricanes, I can’t get them! I’ll have to start using a baster to blow them off.

Anyways that fox Flame is on fire!! it’s growing like crazy.

Unread 10/20/2017, 05:57 PM   #2739
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Anyways that fox Flame is on fire!! it’s growing like crazy.
ATI Essentials man, everything in my tank loves it.

Unread 10/20/2017, 08:03 PM   #2740
reefmutt
Registered Member

Nice! It’s not so readily available in Canada..

Unread 10/21/2017, 12:18 AM   #2741
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. It wasn't so easy to grab in the States either, took like 5 years :/

Unread 10/21/2017, 10:03 AM   #2742
drawman
Registered Member

Matt it's been a while since I've stopped on but your tank still looks damn sexy. The pink matrix and robinhood are stunners for sure good work buddy!

Current tanks:
30 gallon rimless, G2 radion, Vertex 130, MP10w
60 gallon rimless, G3 radion, Vertex 130, MP40QD
drawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2017, 10:27 PM   #2743
rburns24
Registered Member

Quote:
You can get them here at a reasonable price

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from...ments&_sacat=0

rburns24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2017, 03:18 PM   #2744
codydemmel4
Registered Member

hey Matt do you still have the siporax online or did you take it off before your cheato started growing insane?

Also I have been thinking about dosing a little bit of iron to help the cheato grow thicker and better.

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2017, 01:07 AM   #2745
carlosmos
Registered Member

Hello.

Few time ago you commented nitrate values around 0.1 and you want to have less than 1 .... what system do you use to measure nitrates? Thanks

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

carlosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 06:18 PM   #2746
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawman View Post
Matt it's been a while since I've stopped on but your tank still looks damn sexy. The pink matrix and robinhood are stunners for sure good work buddy!
Hey Tim! Glad you stopped by. Thanks. Trying to keep up the sexy!! Got a few new shots to post- few pink matrixy shots..
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburns24 View Post
You can get them here at a reasonable price

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from...ments&_sacat=0
Thanks.. I think I’m going to stick with what I’ve been doing for the past year.. I’m always tempted to try something new but I’m fairly happy with my current regimen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by codydemmel4 View Post
hey Matt do you still have the siporax online or did you take it off before your cheato started growing insane?

Also I have been thinking about dosing a little bit of iron to help the cheato grow thicker and better.
Hey Cody, sorry for the late response. Was a crazy month at home.. I still have a ton of siporax and Seachem’s matrix in the system.. I never saw it do a single little thing for reducing n in my system. Cheato grows insane with it in the system.
I’m not sure iron alone will make your cheato grow. I have found in the past that yes iron is the first limiting element to go in a system with cheato but when I dosed iron, it didn’t help for more than a few weeks before cheato shut down again. I think things like potassium, zinc, manganese, iodine- not to mention n and p are all needed. I’ve had the best long term success keeping my cheato happy using Prodibio Bioptim.. it seems to do the trick for me. You can check out what’s in it on their website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosmos View Post
Hello.

Few time ago you commented nitrate values around 0.1 and you want to have less than 1 .... what system do you use to measure nitrates? Thanks

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Hi Carlos, I think you have mixed up n with p. I don’t usually want my n to go below 4-8 ppm. P, in the other hand, I have struggled to get it below .1 and have always wanted to get it down to closer to .03 but all the natural methods I have tried haven’t really gotten me there..
The only thing I have been doing for the past 6 months or so is use cheato to reduce nutrients.. aside from a protein skimmer, filter socks and periodic waterchanges.
As for measuring, I have a salifert and a Red Sea test kit. Salifert is better for higher numbers- above 5 ppm. Red Sea is better for below 5ppm.

Ok Tim here are a few new shots of the pink matrix..

Here’s a little closer

And a cropped and re sharpened shot..

If you have a close look at the first shot, you’ll notice a recently dead spot.. I have no clue how that happened but the dead app hasn’t changed in a couple days.. not sure if I’ll wake up to a totally rtned coral or if it’ll heal over..
Last weekend I did a red slime remover treatment and I had a few corals completely rtn over night.. generally though, the corals are fine.
I have a bunch more shots I took last weekend.. I’ll get to them shortly

Unread 11/07/2017, 06:28 PM   #2747
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Looking forward to those new pics Matt I'm digging the watermark as well , nice and simple

Odd that only that little tip on the PM has TN'd though, hopefully it's not a sign of ominous things but simply a bit of upset

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 06:44 PM   #2748
reefmutt
Registered Member

So, I haven’t really done anything to the tank besides feed lots of food to the fish and test alk here and there for the past few weeks. Been really busy with family stuff. I haven’t tested anything for quite some time even after the fluconazole, cyano amd cyano treatment..
I really should do that soon..
After the fluconazole, bryopsis disappeared, cyano appeared and my cheato went through a die off. But since dosing rsr and pulling out the dead cheato, it has stabilized and start d growing again..
I’ve been feeding extra food lately because I added a few new evansi anthias and I am trying to keep them alive. I was stupid and bought a few that were too small. The small ones reallynhave trouble adapting because they seem to be only able to swallow very tiny food particles.
So, with all the algae kill/die offs and the extra food, I have no idea where nutrients are but generally the corals look pretty good..
Here’s a wide shot or two but I mostly went macrotastic on his shoot.. so much more interesting to me to put together colours, patterns and shapes..
Here’s Pink tip and blueberry wine on top. One of my pink matrices and jf Flame sort of in middle..

Here’s OP on left, a new acquisition from Fragbox called blue monster in middle (I leeerve blue monster) and red diablo on right lower down.. oh and pink lemonade upper left..

Oh yeah! A semi fts.. left hand side

Op and pink lemonade with blueberry wine up top

I really love this shot.. op, blueberry wine and no name coral..

Blue.. need some blue. I’m on a quest for blue corals.. this guy next to su is growing well..

Another angle next to a bonsai wannabe..

Here’s another close up of op and red coral

Mmmm this photo dump is so cathartic!!! I have a few more..

Unread 11/07/2017, 06:48 PM   #2749
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
Looking forward to those new pics Matt I'm digging the watermark as well , nice and simple

Odd that only that little tip on the PM has TN'd though, hopefully it's not a sign of ominous things but simply a bit of upset
Hey Dom. Thanks! I figured it was time to put my name on my photos. Just wanted something out of the way but noticeable.
Yes.. I am hoping it was a chunk of salt or something that landed there. But we all know his hobby.... ominous is always lurking around the next bend.. I hope it’s nothing. ..

Unread 11/07/2017, 07:52 PM   #2750
codydemmel4
Registered Member

everything is looking great. where is your alk now?

I will have to do some research on the bipotim but it looks like I would have to use 5 every 2 weeks or around 12 a month?

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote