Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/01/2010, 07:33 PM   #1
John Zillmer
Registered Member

Odd: sockless-->skimmerless

About a week or ten days ago I removed the sock from my sump, thinking I'd see if anything interesting resulted from leaving a little particulate matter in the system. A couple days after removing the sock, I noticed that the skimmer -- which has been trucking right along to the tune of about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of nastiness each day -- was producing virtually nothing. I collected about a couple tablespoons of brown water over the last week.

So this afternoon I was getting worried about the lack of skimming, and replaced the sock. Now, about 5 hours later, a nice solid head of foam is beginning to spill into the collection cup as it used to.

Has anyone had this experience? Any ideas as to why the skimmer would fail to work without a filter sock in place?

System is mixed garden reef, 75g DT, 40g sump/fuge, Turboflotor 1000 skimmer w/Rio recirc. and MJ1200 feed pump. Been set up for 12 months, all livestock was in a 55g system for previous 10 years or so.

Current Tank Info: 90 g mixed reef, 40 g 'fuge, T5HO, Simplicity 240DC
John Zillmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2010, 07:42 PM   #2
lordofthereef
One reef to rule them all

This is strange. How specifically is your sump set up? Does the height of the water that the skimmer is sitting in change at all with and then without the sock?

Unread 01/01/2010, 07:48 PM   #3
John Zillmer
Registered Member

Sump is like this: 40br with fuge section on right 2/3. Left 1/3 is sump: drain flows through sock (or just into the empty sock holder for the 10 mystery days) into sump. Skimmer, titanium heater element, ATO float switch and return pump (Quiet One 4000) are in sump. Skimmer has two outlets, one of which feeds the fuge section, the other of which flows into a acrylic box containing carbon and phos sponge (gravity-feed media reactor of sorts).

Good theory on the water height, but no, the level does not change. It is a simple acrylic sock holder (4"), nothing complicated there. The ATO keeps the sump level very constant.

Unread 01/01/2010, 08:11 PM   #4
Little Lucy 27
Registered Member

Just a thought... that maybe the particles are too large and weigh down the bubbles? Pay no attention to me as I am a neophyte, but...I have been paying very close attention to my skimmer as it really seems to have a mind of it's own and I am trying to "get it"

If everything in your fish room hasn't gotten wet you aren't doing it right

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon with 18 gallon sump
Little Lucy 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2010, 08:16 PM   #5
John Zillmer
Registered Member

Y'know, Little Lucy, it must be something like what you are suggesting. Something that the sock traps is causing the bubbles not to form properly. I do feed the system really heavily, so your idea has some support there.

I used to run a limewood airstone countercurrent skimmer, and that thing would push up big chunks of food and detritus. I don't see such big chunks in the skimmate my current unit produces, but I do see particles often enough.

Edit: PS -- does 'neophyte' mean something like 'new plant'? A nicer term than 'noob', for sure

Unread 01/01/2010, 08:26 PM   #6
Little Lucy 27
Registered Member

yep....neophyte means new or recently converted..lol...actually I did this hobby for years years ago...it has changed so much that itis a "new" hobby for me, for sure...shoot, I sat on the sump for weeks because I was afraid of it...lol...read and read and read some more...and what I learned is there is no one way to do it. AS a matter of fact I am gonna change it again, tonight. I'm fixing to post a question...does the skimmer skim out copepods?..I searched and can't seem to find the info...maybe you know?
Sorry for the hi-jack...Happy New Year

If everything in your fish room hasn't gotten wet you aren't doing it right

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon with 18 gallon sump
Little Lucy 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2010, 08:59 PM   #7
John Zillmer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Lucy 27 View Post
...does the skimmer skim out copepods?..
I'm guessing it does remove the swimming ones, just based on the size of them (really pretty small). But there are types of copepods that get around by walking on rocks and the glass; these would be less likely to get removed by the skimmer, I would think.

Unread 01/01/2010, 09:47 PM   #8
noahm
Registered Member

Interesting. I have never used a sock, but may try one just to see if it affects my skimmate production. I am wondering if it traps oils or something else that might affect bubble formation as mentioned before.

noahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2010, 09:51 PM   #9
John Zillmer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahm View Post
Interesting. I have never used a sock, but may try one just to see if it affects my skimmate production. I am wondering if it traps oils or something else that might affect bubble formation as mentioned before.
The oil theory was something that passed through my mind, too, but the skimmer has never been overly sensitive to me putting hands in the tank, and lately I've been wearing shoulder-length gloves much of the time when I can to keep my skin from drying out from the salt.

If you try a sock, I'd be interested to know if you notice a difference in skimmate production or quality.

Unread 01/01/2010, 09:53 PM   #10
noahm
Registered Member

I'm thinking oils from food actually. .... Like big mac's and the like

jk fish food.

noahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2010, 09:57 PM   #11
John Zillmer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahm View Post
I'm thinking oils from food actually. .... Like big mac's and the like

jk fish food.
The heavyhanded way I feed, big macs might be the way to go

That makes more sense -- I didn't think of that. I feed a good deal of flake, some nori, and frozen mysis, brine, cyclopeeze and daphnia. No silversides, ever, but I suppose mysis could be a little oily. Oh, and a lot of Selcon and Zoecon sort of stuff to soak the food in...

Unread 01/01/2010, 10:33 PM   #12
reefgeezer
Registered Member

When I remove the filter sock from my sump, the skimmer quits also. I finally figured out that it allowed bubbles to be picked up by the skimmer input pump. This not only reduced the water volume some but also caused larger bubbles to be formed in the skimmer. These bubbles rise quickly and break the foam in the drying tube.

reefgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote