Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/14/2016, 07:36 PM   #1
camaroguy
Registered Member

Osmoloator Nano - float sensor failing.

I read in another post that Tunze generally expects the sensor to last 3 years. Mine is somewhere between 2 and 3 years old. I have been having random problems with it not shutting off, and throwing off the salinity of my reef.

Every time, I would check it out and it seemed clean enough. I would manually move it around and the pump would operate as expected. Tonight I can manually move the float wherever I want, and the pump won't shut off. This is with the float switch removed from the magnet mount completely, so I don't think there is any magnetic interference.

I also read that this part can be purchased separately, though I cannot seem to find out where/how/what it costs. Any help would be appreciated.

camaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2016, 11:14 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

You can order them on Tunze.com, part 3152.300, I believe they are about $24. However, if the safety timer is not shutting it off at the preset time, the issue is more than the float switch, the default time is 1.8 minutes after that the pump should shut off and periodically pulse as an alarm, that may be changed to 3 minutes by a jumper inside the controller.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2016, 01:47 PM   #3
camaroguy
Registered Member

It is eventually shutting off, but its dumping in 2-3 gallons of water first. How much water should it dump before the safety timer shuts it down?

Unread 08/15/2016, 02:47 PM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Unless the cause is a siphon or a non factory hose is used, the maximum it could do in the 3 minute time limit is just under 1 gallon and for 1.8 minute is about 1/2 gallon. A siphon will occur any time the hose ends below the water level that is in the reservoir, if the reservoir has 18" of water in it, the hose has to end at least 18" above the ground at the sump or tank.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 08/15/2016, 03:03 PM   #5
camaroguy
Registered Member

hmm, I am fairly certain it has ALWAYS done closer to 2.5 gallons before stopping (when the float fails), but I believe it has always stopped. There is never a syphon issue.

Unread 08/16/2016, 08:10 AM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I got your parts order, my suggestion is we cancel the parts order and you send it in, there has to be something else going on.