Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/05/2018, 07:51 PM   #1
MusicTeach
Registered Member

How to remove diatoms

I've heard there are all kinds of schools of thoughts about this... and I've also heard that every tank is different. However, I would love to hear thoughts from those of you who have had success. Perhaps this isn't the right forum for this thread, if so, please feel free to move it.

MusicTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 04:51 AM   #2
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

unless there is fresh silicate being introduced to your tank (through water changes or top off) the diatoms will use up the available silicate and fade out with time. patience is the best way to remove them, simply stirring the sand bed and brushing them off the rocks as you can will help keep their life cycle as fast as possible to burn up the available soluble silica in the water.

Unread 02/07/2018, 10:09 AM   #3
MusicTeach
Registered Member

Interesting - I buy both my ATO RODI water and my mixed salt from my LFS - I'll check with them and see if anything came from their water. Thank you for the heads up!

Unread 02/07/2018, 09:48 PM   #4
avery155
Registered Member

Anytime you add something new to the tank like changing to a new plastic bucket for mixing salt water in you can get a bloom. I swear I get a bloom every time my pistol shrimp excavates a new burrow.

avery155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 10:58 AM   #5
tlc
Registered Member

there have been a lot of success stories using yeast

tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 11:11 AM   #6
HBtank
Premium Member

GFO also binds silicate, FWIW.

Tbh though, diatoms are one of the best "problem" algae to have IMO, almost everything eats it, easily vacuumed/removed, generally subsides quickly; if your blooms are restricted to diatoms you are not in a bad spot. Others deal with dyno, cyano, GHA, and other more annoying blooms.

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA

Last edited by HBtank; 02/08/2018 at 11:19 AM.
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 11:59 AM   #7
tkeracer619
Registered Member

If it is a new tank diatoms are just one of the stages. Like HBtank said, it's an easy one to deal with if necessary.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 10:42 AM   #8
MusicTeach
Registered Member

Awesome, thank you all for the suggestions!

Well, it turns out I was wrong, it wasn't diatoms - it is cyano. Time to research more about cyano! (I'm sure I'll start a new thread for this at some point). Thanks!