Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/09/2013, 05:22 AM   #501
amfynn
Registered Member

scaping update

So finally started during the week with my twin peaks...and still only less than a 1/4 of the work done...

That neon lime yellow stag, took me some 6 years to get hold of....finally got my grubby paws on one.

Current Tank Info: Orphek Atlantik LED (x4) lit SPS system, total volume 660 gal. (2500L). Includes a 317 gal. (1200L) Starphire rimless display, 160 gallon (600L) nursery tank & 1000lb's (500kg's) of live rock, 2x ReefOcto 5000 skimmers, ATS , DSB & loads of Chaeto
amfynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2013, 08:31 AM   #502
Almondsaz
Premium Member

Adee: beautiful system, I have read with fascination your build and it is very well thought out. Can't get over the colors you have been able to put together. I have always shied away from SPS but your incredible display makes me want to rethink that. Thank you for sharing! I am going to keep reading this thread and watch your progress. David

Almondsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2013, 09:00 AM   #503
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

The tank will have a lot more yellows and pinks, two colours IMO that show best when your husbandry is in tip top shape. So quite keen to see the tank take shape again. I'm in no hurry though, so taking things a weekend at a time.

Could you please explain this in more detail. I like your direction for your new setup. How long will you go bare bottom before adding sand again?

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2013, 01:17 PM   #504
Bello
Registered Member

Absolutely stunning!

The first rock, with multiple stags of different colours will look simply amazing

Bello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2013, 03:14 PM   #505
globo_balloon
Registered Member

Woooow awesome tank congrats
I'm from Mexico and I'm planing to set up a reef like yours , but I don't know what color of polycarbonate I need to use, I read that u use the clear one , and blue shade cloth,what was the reason that u use it , too much light?... If you have a photo of how you installed the blue shade cloth will be perfect ...
Here in Mexico there's a lot of colors of policarbonate ( clear ,blue, green, red, etc,) which one do you recommend to use . .?
Greetings from Mexico City

globo_balloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2013, 04:07 PM   #506
Reef Reactor
Registered Member

I am in Mexico too.
Interested an planning a setup like yours. Following your nice setup.

Reef Reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2013, 01:28 AM   #507
aggie
Registered Member

Adee, wow your tank was amazing. did you ever take any par readings when you ran the orphek diff100 on you tank?
Im in the middle of setting up a tank 5ft long x 4 ft wide and 2 ft tall and im just so confused about lighting.

aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2013, 04:50 AM   #508
amfynn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by globo_balloon View Post
Woooow awesome tank congrats
I'm from Mexico and I'm planing to set up a reef like yours , but I don't know what color of polycarbonate I need to use, I read that u use the clear one , and blue shade cloth,what was the reason that u use it , too much light?... If you have a photo of how you installed the blue shade cloth will be perfect ...
Here in Mexico there's a lot of colors of policarbonate ( clear ,blue, green, red, etc,) which one do you recommend to use . .?
Greetings from Mexico City
I use the clear polycarbonate, u want to also let the UV through as well. Shadecloth is a must if you want to protect sps from bleaching, but once the acclimatized they will do well in the high PAR of the sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Reactor View Post
I am in Mexico too.
Interested an planning a setup like yours. Following your nice setup.
Howdy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie View Post
Adee, wow your tank was amazing. did you ever take any par readings when you ran the orphek diff100 on you tank?
Im in the middle of setting up a tank 5ft long x 4 ft wide and 2 ft tall and im just so confused about lighting.
thanks....no I did not take PAR, only had access to a PAR reader when I was only running on sunlight. I believe u may find reading on their website.

Current Tank Info: Orphek Atlantik LED (x4) lit SPS system, total volume 660 gal. (2500L). Includes a 317 gal. (1200L) Starphire rimless display, 160 gallon (600L) nursery tank & 1000lb's (500kg's) of live rock, 2x ReefOcto 5000 skimmers, ATS , DSB & loads of Chaeto
Unread 08/08/2013, 04:51 AM   #509
amfynn
Registered Member

Tank is suffering from some sort of STN bug, I've already lost quite a few pieces....and my most prized yellow lime stag in the process.

Gonna try and hook up my ozone reactor over the long weekend to see if it will help combat what i think is actually some germ in the water. All my params are the same they have been the last couple of years.

Tank is on an all time low for me at the mo. I need to pull up my socks and get it looking in tip top shape again.

Unread 08/08/2013, 06:18 AM   #510
dave.m
Registered Member

Sorry to hear you are having a bad time of it. This seems to be par for the course with many successful tanks: a period of great growth and then a sudden failure of mysterious origins. The important thing is that you do not give up and that you work to recover from this setback. We all need the inspiration that progressive thinkers such as yourself provide to the hobby.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2013, 06:37 AM   #511
amfynn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
Sorry to hear you are having a bad time of it. This seems to be par for the course with many successful tanks: a period of great growth and then a sudden failure of mysterious origins. The important thing is that you do not give up and that you work to recover from this setback. We all need the inspiration that progressive thinkers such as yourself provide to the hobby.

Dave.M
Thanks Dave.
This tank is still reasonably new, less than 3 years old....well at least through the severe temp dips (down to 19 degrees centigrade, and summer spikes of 30), the days when my carx stopped working and went unnoticed...to alk levels of 5dDK, when on numerous time just whisked up calk and chucked into the sump, shooting the PH past 9...and the list goes on. Well I've successfully eliminated those sps that cannot handle the pressure from my system. Not a proud moment for me, I need to get my focus back.....I shall turn the tide again!

Unread 08/08/2013, 07:01 PM   #512
aquaenthusiast
Registered Member

amfynn, keep us posted and maybe post some pictures of what is happening to the corals , you never know someone may chime in and have some sort of solution. Your hard work does not go unnoticed, and your tank is truly unique.

aquaenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2013, 05:37 AM   #513
amfynn
Registered Member

The beginings of version 2.1

So this is what my tank looks like today. Currently been running only on sunlight for the last 4 months. As u can see, have a bit of a GHA problems as well....that will soon be sorted out.

So bought two more of these.....hence the bare bottom tank (for now).

Added the Reef Octo Ozone reactor with an air dryer this time, got it hooked up to the Profilux as well. Though I think i have too much flow going through it...the highest the mv gets too is around 315.

I'm still in two minds on the rock selection that I have, I intend treating the rock with lanthanum chloride....the Carib Sea rock appears to be a magnet for algae. Hence the slow rock scaping...also I still have big colonies that won't fit in the frag tank (no space), already full with lots of frags

I can't make up mind on the scaping, I have a couple of existing colonies in terms of "set" pieces, in the frag tank that I want to build around using some new pieces that I have had growing out in the nursery. Decisions, decisions....

Unread 09/01/2013, 06:53 AM   #514
yagesz
Registered Member

Gorgeous Setup

yagesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2013, 03:00 AM   #515
Bello
Registered Member

May I offer a suggestion on scaping?

Since the colonies are extremely large, how about a low minimal flat scape? Just a few flat pieces with say a max height of 4 inches for example. You've got gorgeous stags that'll look great on those

Just my 2 cents, have always loved your tank, and sorry to hear the bad news.

Bello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2013, 09:39 AM   #516
amfynn
Registered Member

Yes, I intend filling the bottom half of the tank, again keeping with stag shapes. The upper half of the tank will be more open water.

Will have to the light hanging very low, 4 Atlantiks will do the the job.

Unread 09/16/2013, 09:44 AM   #517
joelbegt
Registered Member

Very inspiring aquarium!

I have a few questions... When you used the dif pendants which color Xp chip did you use? I saw they have 3 different color xp chips. Also, are your sps mostly wild, mariculture, or aquaculture, or a mix?

Your tank makes me want a sunlit aquarium. I'm excited to see your tank grow back in after the changes.

joelbegt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2013, 01:14 AM   #518
Lepers
Registered Member

It's a real pleasure to read your post :-)
Your tank is awesome.

In the first pictures, I've note many plumb connection with grid protection in the bottom of your tank.
You've removed its ?

You haven't water noise with yours tiny overflow ?

Lepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2014, 01:59 PM   #519
amfynn
Registered Member

Version 2.1....begins

So finally...I'm ready to start updating my rescaped tank. I have some new pieces growing from frags the last year or so, only now presenting them to the display tank.

I'm sort of 70% finished with the look. I still must get the tank cleaned up and then substrate added back in.

Tank has been going purely on sunlight again for the last year as I've taken a break from being to pedantic with the tank and focus only on growing the coral for which sunlight is still the best medicine. I have Orphek Atlantik's which I will soon hang up once I'm happy with the look of the tank, then hope to see some awesome colors metamorphosize.

Unread 07/14/2014, 02:06 PM   #520
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Fantastic!! Great to see this thread starting up again!

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2014, 07:20 PM   #521
dtum
Registered Member

Your tank is so unique! Loving it.

Unread 07/15/2014, 05:02 AM   #522
amfynn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
Fantastic!! Great to see this thread starting up again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtum View Post
Your tank is so unique! Loving it.
thanks guys....yeah, been a long break.

Unread 07/15/2014, 06:34 AM   #523
THEREALTROUT
Registered Member

beautiful,good luck

Live and let live
THEREALTROUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2014, 10:31 AM   #524
kabe87
Registered Member

Fantastic Tank!!

Ive been wondering since the new scape. Did you rescape with the fish in the tank or did you move the fish while doing this?

kabe87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2014, 04:01 AM   #525
amfynn
Registered Member

I rescaped with all the fish still in it.