Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/03/2018, 06:09 PM   #1
FLReef32043
Registered Member

Another 75 gallon build

Starting a new 75 gallon tank build.

Currently have the tank (75 gallon rectangle Aqueon drilled), sump (Eshopps RS-100)m return pump (Sicce Syncra Silent 3.0), 2 Koralia power heads and a DIY stand (basic stand complete - outer shell to be completed once the stand is moved to its final position.

General step planning at this point:

* plumbing build and then leak tests in the garage to fine tune the flow and make sure I don't make a mess in the house.

* move the stand to final position; complete the front/sides and stain.

* Fill with saltwater, turn on the equipment and let it run. Check for temperature stability. Then turn out the lights.

* Start the cycle. Doing 100% water change and getting fresh salt water. Add 40lbs of live from (from LFS) to the tank. Parameter tests daily. 50% water changes weekly (removing scum from bottom of tank (if any). once Ammonia / Nitrite are 0 do a 50% water change. Recheck parameters in 24 hours - and if zero call it cycled? (estimate I have read is 4-6 weeks for this to take place).

* Once cycled remove the rock, add in base rock (I want the Shelfscape 60 from Marco Rocks), add back the LR and aquascape. Add Live Sand. Turn the power heads up and check the circulation in the tank - adjusting to remove dead spots as necessary.

* at this point I'm looking to add a refugium as an "second" sump and plumb accordingly.

* As I just read today, keep ghost feeding the tank until I get a diatom bloom and algae (if not already) then then we are a go for livestock. My guess is this may be late Dec/Jan '19.

Thoughts?

FLReef32043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2018, 06:10 PM   #2
Mysticalknight
Registered Member

How are you planning to plumb it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mysticalknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2018, 06:24 PM   #3
FLReef32043
Registered Member

Tank/Stand/Sump first images

Unread 09/03/2018, 06:25 PM   #4
FLReef32043
Registered Member

Apparently I need to read to figure out how to post images

Unread 09/03/2018, 06:26 PM   #5
Mysticalknight
Registered Member

Lol, I dunno if you are using tapatalk, but I am and you can take and directly post pics right from the app

Mysticalknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2018, 06:27 PM   #6
FLReef32043
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticalknight View Post
How are you planning to plumb it?

I am planning on using a Herbie method outline. The tank only has two drilled holes so I am going to use the 1" for the main siphon drian. The 3/4" will be the emergency overlow.

I'll add a separate return line from the sump that will route up the back to the top of the tank and then to two separate returns (one at east corner) that will agitate the surface level of the tank.

At least that is the goal at the moment.

Unread 09/03/2018, 06:29 PM   #7
FLReef32043
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticalknight View Post
Lol, I dunno if you are using tapatalk, but I am and you can take and directly post pics right from the app

I'm on the computer. The image I have is too large for the site policy so I uploaded to imgur and was trying to post the image link. But that obviously didn't work out for me. I'll do some more reading and get the image posted.

Unread 09/03/2018, 06:50 PM   #8
FLReef32043
Registered Member

Second attempt this time trying to add image as an attachment.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reef Tank 2018 09 03 On the stand OL.jpg (95.9 KB, 53 views)
Unread 09/06/2018, 07:33 PM   #9
FLReef32043
Registered Member

Plumbing begins

Went to HD and picked up some beginnings of the plumbing (well that and some Amazon ordering). Attached are images of the mock up of the main drain from bulkhead to sump and the return pump up and over to the back glass and starting up for the return.

In the process I came up with a question - how do you connect a 1" PVC pipe to the Aqueon 1" bulkhead? The exterior portion of the bulkhead appears to be some type of ribbed barbette of some kind. It is a bit smaller than the diameter of a 1" PVC pipe and when inserted into a connector (for a test fit) there is a bit of wiggle. No way it will seal tight enough to hold water? does it just drop through?

Similar question for the 3/4" bulkhead that will be used for the emergency drain. I simply can't see how to make those connections.

Unread 09/07/2018, 06:54 AM   #10
tjm9331
Registered Member

I may be wrong, I haven't done my plumbing yet, but I believe you need to replace the barb fitting for a bulkhead similar to this.

Make sure to get a slip fitting, this will allow you to glue the pvc to the bulkhead.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bulkhead.jpg (16.0 KB, 10 views)
tjm9331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2018, 06:43 AM   #11
FLReef32043
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm9331 View Post
I may be wrong, I haven't done my plumbing yet, but I believe you need to replace the barb fitting for a bulkhead similar to this.

Make sure to get a slip fitting, this will allow you to glue the pvc to the bulkhead.
Thank you for the response. I had come to a similar thought while researching. Guess I need to go talk to the LFS about new bulkheads.

Unread 09/08/2018, 08:36 AM   #12
Wandering
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLReef32043 View Post
Thank you for the response. I had come to a similar thought while researching. Guess I need to go talk to the LFS about new bulkheads.

You could also call bulkreefsupply, they had great plumbing tips for me when I was setting up my tank. For example, they suggested that I add a "manifold" to my return pump plumbing, which is basically using a T to a few smaller connections that you can connect to a reactor in the future.

Wandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2018, 07:05 PM   #13
FLReef32043
Registered Member

Update

After a week out of town, went to the LFS and purchased appropriate bulkheads for a PVC plumbing install (slip vice barb). Got some extra parts I needed and worked out my plumbing.

Herbie system drain using two 1" drains (primary/emergency) and a 3/4" return. Plumbed in a manifold with plans to have a refugium as well as a feed for a BRS GFO/Carbon reactor.

Got it all laid out and then FIRST WATER!

Got it filled and draining, turned on the return pump to ensure I could keep it up and running. Of course it leaked like a sieve since nothing was glued up.

Once I verified it was in fact working well I shut it down and glued it up. It is sitting overnight and setting. Hopefully the next couple of days I'll get time to get it fired up and be sure its not leaking somewhere.

Unread 09/26/2018, 09:11 PM   #14
FLReef32043
Registered Member

Brief update

Still here Slightly side tracked by knee surgery.

Before the surgery got the plumbing completed. Found a few leaks where I had missed gluing the PVC - got that fixed. Then could not figure out why, after a succesful test, I was getting zero flow from the return pump to the tank. Finally figured the check valve must have failed or something. I cut it out and the pump worked perfectly.

Tank and sump are now dry waiting for my knee to permit a bit more mobility to do some final work on the stand and getting the location in the house cleaned up and arranged before moving the pieces to their final spot.

In the meantime I continue to work on equipment planning. My latest goal is to get an Apex Junior with a few extra modules.

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to a reasonable budget build of an Apex system with the Junior as the base. I considered the Classic but can't in my head justify the extra 200(ish) dollars of cost with the need to still get the various pieces. Wondering what others think is a budget / limited necessity for monitoring.

Unread 09/27/2018, 11:57 PM   #15
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Personally, I would not call an Apex a "necessity" at all. Having control of some pumps, heaters, etc... is nice, but certainly not a necessity. I just have a fairly inexpensive temperature controller for my heaters and an ATO. These I consider necessities, monitoring/controlling every component IMO is a luxury (one I am happy without).

In your first post you said you were going to cycle with live rock, then remove it, plae base rock, and return the live rock. WHY?

I see no reason or benefit to not having the base rock in place during the cycle. This seems like a lot of extra effort and disturbance to the tank with no benefit. Please share you reasoning behind this plan, I am truly curious if I am missing something.

Unread 09/28/2018, 06:17 AM   #16
FLReef32043
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpsouth1978 View Post
Personally, I would not call an Apex a "necessity" at all. Having control of some pumps, heaters, etc... is nice, but certainly not a necessity. I just have a fairly inexpensive temperature controller for my heaters and an ATO. These I consider necessities, monitoring/controlling every component IMO is a luxury (one I am happy without).

In your first post you said you were going to cycle with live rock, then remove it, plae base rock, and return the live rock. WHY?

I see no reason or benefit to not having the base rock in place during the cycle. This seems like a lot of extra effort and disturbance to the tank with no benefit. Please share you reasoning behind this plan, I am truly curious if I am missing something.

Mostly because I had not read enough by that point. I was originally thinking I could split my budget and get the cycle done then aquascape with the full rock load. BUT as you pointed out, and I have read, it didn't make any sense. My plan now is when I get to the point I am ready for water to wait till I have enough to get my "full rock work" (dry Marco rocks and live rock from the LFS) and do the entire cycle at once.

Due to having to do this in stages my plans are evolving (and my timeline slipping due to things like knee surgery) which gives me the time to refine the plan to get more "in line" with common thought and hopefully reduce chances of missteps.

And I don't consider the Apex a necessity - but it is something I'd like to have to assist me in tracking temps, salinity and pH. Also the ability to adjust power head flow etc. There is a LOT that the Apex system does that I do not consider even worthwhile to me at this point - thus my desire to start small and build it up. Since the system is modular I don't see a need to buy big and still have to purchase the items I want. If I get to the point later I want to do something maybe buy something then. But buying big on the "hope" seems to guarantee expansion more so than need.

Unread 09/30/2018, 10:16 AM   #17
FLReef32043
Registered Member

And just like that life comes into play. Due to circumstances beyond my control I am going to have to postpone this plan for awhile. Hopefully by this time next year I'll be in a place to try again.