Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Non-Photosynthetic Corals
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/31/2011, 08:03 AM   #1
mrdamsel
Registered Member

Question Reef octopus HOB vs. Hydor slim skim! HELP!!!!!

Hello to all! I am going to start an NPS tank and need a good skimmer that has HOB or in tank. It can't be in the sump, as I don't have a sump. I have narrowed down my choices up to the following. PLEASE remember that my tank is 40 gallons and will have a HEAVYYY bioload because it will be nps and will need lots of feeding. So the choices are:

REEF OCTOPUS BH-2000. max tank size: 120 gallons

HYDOR SLIM SKIM IN TANK. max tank size: 65 gallons

ANY HELP APPRECIATED!!!!

mrdamsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2011, 09:29 AM   #2
dixiedog
Registered Member

This would do better in "lighting and filtration" but ....

40 gallon, heavy bioload? Not even a question, definitely go with the 120.

dixiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2011, 06:57 PM   #3
username in use
Sciencing Daily

Heavy bio load and hang on back skimmer really don't go well together.

"With fronds like these, who needs anemones?" - Albert Einstein

Current Tank Info: multiple nano's sprinkled around the house
username in use is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2011, 08:16 PM   #4
Aqualund
Registered Member

I would also HEAVILY suggest a sandbed of at least 4 inches with a 1.5 inch plenum for denitrification...or even a remote DSB. You are walking a fine line...you dont necessarily want the skimmer to remove everything...every bit the skimmer removes is every bit the NPS corals arent able to eat...you know?

Aqualund is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2012, 03:43 PM   #5
mrdamsel
Registered Member

Aqualund, I am still a beginner and I know this may be a bad and obvious question but what is a plenum? I was also thinking a 4 inch dsb but if we move, which we may, the tank must be as light as possible. Yes, it will remove food but the tank is quite small and has no sump to dilute the water volume so I wanted a good HOB skimmer and didn't want to make the water quality bad. The nitrates just have been hovering over 2.5 for 2 weeks and I did not want to increase them.

Also, I already ordered the BH 2000. Hope it works well.

Last edited by mrdamsel; 01/01/2012 at 04:11 PM.
mrdamsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2012, 08:44 PM   #6
jimbinsc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdamsel View Post
Aqualund, I am still a beginner and I know this may be a bad and obvious question but what is a plenum? I was also thinking a 4 inch dsb but if we move, which we may, the tank must be as light as possible. Yes, it will remove food but the tank is quite small and has no sump to dilute the water volume so I wanted a good HOB skimmer and didn't want to make the water quality bad. The nitrates just have been hovering over 2.5 for 2 weeks and I did not want to increase them.

Also, I already ordered the BH 2000. Hope it works well.
hi, this is my second post here. I'm looking for other BH2000 users. Mrdamsel, how is the BH2000 working? Mine is really loud! Reviews said it was quiet but mine isn't, so I'm wondering how yours is working after a few months.
Thanks

jimbinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2012, 09:13 AM   #7
cfredallen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbinsc View Post
hi, this is my second post here. I'm looking for other BH2000 users. Mrdamsel, how is the BH2000 working? Mine is really loud! Reviews said it was quiet but mine isn't, so I'm wondering how yours is working after a few months.
Thanks
I am running a BH-1000 on my 90 mixed reef. It is an awesome HOB. the bh-2000 is almost identical so sould perform equally well

cfredallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Bongo Shrimp
P. ceratophthalma

I too have the BH-1000 on my 25g and I like it especially because the pump is not in the water. It works great.

Unread 06/08/2012, 06:42 PM   #9
MarineSniper
Registered Member

I have to agree with the poster who stated a hob and nps don't usually go together...especially with no sump. I am presently plumbing in a 300g sump for my 2 tanks; primarily due to the nps bio load. I run a Geo, with a 1200 gph pump and still have to do weekly 25% water changes. I would be sure to check your nitrates every other day, so you can find out when you need to do your water changes. I believe you may be able to keep nps in there but you'll need to be prepared to change a lot of water

MarineSniper is offline   Reply With Quote