Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/28/2011, 10:12 PM   #4101
popsbjd
Registered Member

Hello RC!

Hi there reef keepers! I'm Pops from Athens, GA. Just started a 29 gallon reef last week. Still dealing with some ammonia right now but looking forward to getting full into reef keeping. I've been keeping freshwater for a while (currently have 3) but this is my first attempt at salt. Can't wait to learn from you all.

Pops

popsbjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2011, 10:21 PM   #4102
ryanb69
Registered Member

New here, whats up

Hi! My name is Ryan
I have a brother who has a 125g reef in the works. I am tank skipper. I helped with his tank build, and am in school and can't afford my own tank yet.

Current Tank Info: 20 gal nano with black occellarus and orange occelarus clown fish. Corals are green star polyp, duncan, candy cane, and pulsing xenia!
ryanb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2011, 02:26 AM   #4103
NT Nano
Registered Member

Hello RC

After years of dreaming AND years of research, I am moving forward on my second attempt at a Nano reef tank. The first was a 39 gallon system that I had to abort after only 6 months (just when things were getting exciting!) due to an unexpected move overseas. We are back, and I am chomping at the bit, currently putting together an even smaller 12 gallon show tank with 2.5 gallon refugium. Why? Because I know we will be moving again (luckily not so far!) in 2.5 years or so, and I want it to be easy to transport. Luckily I saved a lot of the "hardware" from my old setup, so I am currently modifying things to fit my new system. I see this as the "starter" for the larger system that I will have after we settle down. Now I just have to explain that to my husband!
I look forward to learning from more experienced reefers, and maybe saving myself some pain as I hit the inevitable snags! Thanks for doing what you do!

NT Nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2011, 09:05 AM   #4104
mommylinton
Registered Member

Hi! I've stalked some open threads trying to get help with my new(ish) 40gallon Reef tank as I've been setting up. I decided it was finally time to join!
I have a 40gallon Hex reef tank. I have 40+ lbs of live rock, 2 power heads, a HOB protein skimmer and some black mollies my LFS suggested I start cycling the tank with (We're on baby batch #2 with these baby making machines!!)... I just added an Anemone (Bought it off Craigslist so I'm not sure what it's proper name is) and now I'm looking to start adding more fish/corals! Any help and advice is greatly appreciated! ... My big "question" right now is lighting. I have the light the tank came with (also a Craigslist purchase) but not sure what kind of bulb to buy, when to have the lights off/on (currently turn on in morning and off at night) etc.

Thanks in advance! =)

mommylinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2011, 11:29 AM   #4105
TjwBlake
Registered Member

Hello all, my name is Tyler from Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.
Brand spankin new to the whole salt water tank thing. I dont have a system yet or anything going. I was going to start shortly but based on timelines my tank would just be squeaking out of cycling in time for a 2 week summer vacation, so in the interest of everyone involved I decided to put it off a few more months and take some time to research a little more.
So, with that, HI EVERYBODY!

TjwBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2011, 01:05 PM   #4106
flaplyr
Registered Member

Hello, everyone! I live here in Florida, but never actually bought any new sea life or went fishing or anything like that since I've lived here. I live in Florida, though, so I guess I better get on it! I thought this was a good place to start!

So, nice to meet everyone!

flaplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2011, 02:03 PM   #4107
nakoma
Registered Member

Hi,new here!

Hi, my name is nakoma, i am from parma,ohio and i am new to saltwater. I have done alot of research on it for a long time before i decided to start with a small tank and then work my way up the more experienced i get. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

nakoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2011, 02:04 PM   #4108
Kung_Fu_Corals
Registered Member

Smile Hey

IM new on here from cleveland, ohio i have two 55 gallon reef tanks im still learning about reefs i've been doing it for bout 4 months now if anything i should know please feel free to help me THANKS

Kung_Fu_Corals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2011, 03:22 PM   #4109
0cean
Registered Member

hello.my name is andreas.i am from Cyprus.i have a marine tank 420gallons.i have corals soft mushrooms algae blue anemonsand others.i have now a 1meter tesselata eel.i use pacificsun black python 160w led. 4 units or 160w each.i have to tunze wavemakers ans 2 sicce.i have acone evolution s protein skimmer for 4000litres aquarium high power.i have a chiller titan 1500 and 3 heater.i have a biological filter.i use reverse osmosis.i want help with my fish and some help with aquarim hole system.thanks

0cean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2011, 03:24 PM   #4110
0cean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0cean View Post
hello.my name is andreas.i am from Cyprus.i have a marine tank 420gallons.i have corals soft mushrooms algae blue anemonsand others.i have now a 1meter tesselata eel.i use pacificsun black python 160w led. 4 units or 160w each.i have to tunze wavemakers ans 2 sicce.i have acone evolution s protein skimmer for 4000litres aquarium high power.i have a chiller titan 1500 and 3 heater.i have a biological filter.i use reverse osmosis.i want help with my fish and some help with aquarim hole system.thanks
sorry about my english

0cean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2011, 07:29 PM   #4111
flounderfish
Registered Member

I'm kinda new. Just hit my 50th post....

Current Tank Info: 75g Display+120g Sump
flounderfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2011, 11:10 PM   #4112
FraggleWhat
Registered Member

Just saying Hi

First off I joined RC after being introduced to it by a close friend. I have been in the hobby now for about 4 years, I had a 110g reef tank for about 3 years but had to let it go due to obligations in the giant sandbox. I am getting ready to start a new tank. I am looking at either a 110g or 155g octagon. Would like this one to be reef as well. I have 5 yr old twin girls who want "pink" fish, lol. I actually got into the hobby after seeing different fish in every ocean on the planet as a Master OW Scuba Instructor. There is something truly amazing in getting to recreate a tiny part of the ocean in ones living room. I work as a CDL Driver and am gone about a month at a time, but I have an amazing wife who is a Zoologist and Marine Biologist, so she will take care of the tank when I am not there. My name is Mike and its great to be a part of the RC family.

Also I would like to support RC, so any info in how to do so would be appreciated. Thanks again.

FraggleWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2011, 05:12 PM   #4113
Mrcrystal
Registered Member

Newbie, my fist post! Bought a home that had a 75 gallon tank in it that hadn't run in one year, and was full of alge. I've got it up and running about January, hopefully with a little help from all you guys I'll be going good soon.

Current Tank Info: 75G, FOWLR. Wet/Dry Trickle Filter, 15 gal sump, Biowheel, running a Seaclone Protien Skimmer, 15 lbs live rock and 40lbs of Base Rock, 4 turbo snails, 4 red-legged hermits.
Mrcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2011, 06:13 PM   #4114
Nimrook
Moved On

Hi everyone, im Nimrook. A friend of mine convinced me to join RC after quite a long time of lurking i figured it was time

Currently im setting up a living color 110 at work, hoping to find something in the 250+ range for myself at home. I absolutely love the hobby an can spend hours just doing maintenance on my tanks in the past. So i guess im a die hard reefer.

Anyway thanks for having me

Nimrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2011, 10:20 PM   #4115
AquaArab
Registered Member

Just getting started

After being bugged about coming here for answers regarding my algae problem I finaly broke down. I have a 180gal reef tank. It's been up for 8mos. now and I can't seem to get my hair algae under control!!!! All I do is pick algae off the rocks (some already have coraline algae some don't). If anybody has any answers as to how to get this problem under control before I pull my hair out that would help me out soooo much

AquaArab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2011, 02:11 AM   #4116
Ichthy
Registered Member

Question My intro & questions on my empty 27gal

My name is Anne but everybody calls me Ichthy.
Currently living in Texas after alot of years of traveling.
Used to own a 75gal tank but was misinformed on alot of things.
Wasn't informed of a sump/refuge nor powerheads and was recommended the wrong lights by my local pet store who had a small section on salt water.
Wasted alot of money and sadly killed a lot of fish & corals.
Took a break that lasted 6 months and am returning to the hobby.
My love for salt water creatures wasn't "murdered" by my local pet store like I believed they hoped.

Found a better "pet" store that is just salt water and have a 125gal on layaway[will have in my home by june, it's not drilled yet] and currently have an empty 27gal cube tank which says "temp glass, do not drill"

If I just plan on having JUST fish in the 27gal, what is the best filteration? I'm sure a sump would be better cause from pictures every tank has a sump. Would a canister filter be ok to have? Atleast till the 125 has everything it needs [sump, lights, powerheads, etc]

I have read "Reef success" which is basically an interview book on 5 different people and all 5 have said canister filters are out and sumps are in but canister filters are more in the my price range since I would have to do plumbing by myself if I went the way of a sump and i'm very clueless on sumps & plumbing.

Ichthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2011, 09:58 AM   #4117
kungfuteacher
Registered Member

Hi

Im Ruth. Im pretty new to the hobby. Been at freshwater since probably this time last year, when my daughter wanted a tank for her birthday. Since then i've got a bit...erm...well...obsessive?!

I now have a 240 litre freshwater tank, the kids' 90 litre freshwater tank and a 140 litre marine tank.

The marine tank is a second hand system, so although I've only had it since October, it's been running for approx. 4 years.

My freshwater fish include:

Rummy nose tetras, zebra danios, clown loaches, silver sharks (2 of and my excuse to get gradually bigger tanks until I finally take over the house!!), common pleco, red line torpedo barbs, kribensis, sucking loaches, starlight plecos - both tank are planted

My Marine tank has:

A mated pair of saddleback clownfish, 7 of their babies, who I couldn't keep out at the time, tried to keep them in a seperate breeding box, but they kept jumping ship! 1 pacific cleaner shrimp, 1 hermit crab, 1 carpet anemone, a small (at the moment) regal tang, an orange starfish, a cluster of mushrooms and polyps, some yellow sponge stuff, and some small feather duster type thingimibobs.

Hope you can all answer the multitude of questions I have swimming around in my head!

Take care

kungfuteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2011, 01:20 PM   #4118
bigmikey
Registered Member

Hi Im Mike from San Francisco. Not new to the hobby but new on here.

bigmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2011, 01:37 PM   #4119
blb_salt
Registered Member

My name is Brad. I am new to the hobby. I have a 90 gal, RR tank with a 10 gallon sump containin bio balls (plan to eventually conver to a refugium). I have read a number of posts on the site and I really like how helpful the experienced people are with the newbies.

blb_salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2011, 06:51 PM   #4120
dgags
Registered Member

new and need help

I really jumped into this hobby and I love it....I had fresh water tanks before but this reef tank gets better and better every day....I am looking for a new return pump to put into my sump. The one I have is very loud. I have been told a number of dif things and I am so confused..... I want to know if someone could give me an idea on which one to buy....I have a 55gal cube and from what I hear I should be pushing somewhere around 700 gph....but the flexpipe is prob about 4-5 feet in which I heard takes away about 400-500 gph....dont know if that is true??????? so i would like to know what is the most efficient and quietest pump I should look for....Any one who could help????????????

dgags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2011, 12:07 AM   #4121
hms84
Registered Member

Hi ALL,
I'm new to here and to the hobby. Planning for a great tank next month.
I work for Varian Medical Systems to maintain linear accelerators.
My goal is to be tank of the month winner

hms84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2011, 05:37 AM   #4122
jagger0792
Registered Member

Hi all, my name is dan from sunny England I would just like to say wow there are some fantastic SPS nanos on here at the moment iam selling my at the present and in the future I would like a SPS only nano.

I am new to this forurm but not to keeping salt water.
I have kept marine tanks for about 2 or so yr now.
my first setup was a 60L nano i had two clowns two cleaner shrimp and lots of soft corals in they i had the tank for about two to three months then i upgraged to a redseamax 130 which was a fantastic plug&play i keep mostly soft&some lps hammer,trumpet,favia all of them did very well.my setup well untill about a month ago was a betta lifespace 680 which I have started spitting there where a few reasons not enough time at the present time also I was not happy with it i think they are spot on tanks i was running MM& lots of algae in my sump also my betta 680 has been running for about 19 months now and was stocked with 30KG of live rock, 1 yellow tang, 1 flame angel 2 common clowns,, 18 hermits, 10 tubo, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 red star,corals wise 10 SPS,acropora,montipora,seriatopora differents types of polyps red/bright green/dragon eyes and about 7 LPS,lobophyllia,goniopora,favia,hammer,trumpet,cynarina,duncan,maxima clam and a few soft,zoanthids red green dragon eyes,pink&white xenia,purple&red discosoma.also can you upload any pics on here if so i do you do it

[IMG]http://www.ultimatereef.net/uploader/2011Q1/IMG_0122.jpg[/

jagger0792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2011, 05:40 AM   #4123
jagger0792
Registered Member

Hello Iam new to this site

Hi all, my name is dan from sunny England I would just like to say wow there are some fantastic SPS nanos on here at the moment iam selling my at the present and in the future I would like a SPS only nano.

I am new to this forurm but not to keeping salt water.
I have kept marine tanks for about 2 or so yr now.
my first setup was a 60L nano i had two clowns two cleaner shrimp and lots of soft corals in they i had the tank for about two to three months then i upgraged to a redseamax 130 which was a fantastic plug&play i keep mostly soft&some lps hammer,trumpet,favia all of them did very well.my setup well untill about a month ago was a betta lifespace 680 which I have started spitting there where a few reasons not enough time at the present time also I was not happy with it i think they are spot on tanks i was running MM& lots of algae in my sump also my betta 680 has been running for about 19 months now and was stocked with 30KG of live rock, 1 yellow tang, 1 flame angel 2 common clowns,, 18 hermits, 10 tubo, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 red star,corals wise 10 SPS,acropora,montipora,seriatopora differents types of polyps red/bright green/dragon eyes and about 7 LPS,lobophyllia,goniopora,favia,hammer,trumpet,cynarina,duncan,maxima clam and a few soft,zoanthids red green dragon eyes,pink&white xenia,purple&red discosoma.

[IMG]http://www.ultimatereef.net/uploader/2011Q1/IMG_0122.jpg[/

jagger0792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2011, 08:17 AM   #4124
Fbarty
Registered Member

Hi There

I'm new to Marine Fish-keeping (18 months) but have kept fresh, tropical & coldwater fish for many years. I have a D & D 24g Nano & a 420lt Main with 70lt sump. I'm having a problem with brown algae in the main tank, but all the test results are registering zero. Though this tank has only been setup some 3-4 months all mature rock, matured water from previous setup, fish & cleanup crew are all from a previous setup I had. This algae (I know it's bacteria) has only just started to appear on the sand & if left will form on the glass. I use TMC Aquaray LED's but am unsure of the best length of time to have them running. Any advice/pointers would be greatly appreceiated

"One learns a little something every day!"

Current Tank Info: 420lt tank, 70lt Sump, Biological Filter trays, TMC 600 Protein Skimmer - Reef Tank Setup
Fbarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2011, 12:10 AM   #4125
carlaquade
Registered Member

just wanted to say "hello" and what a great site to learn about a great hobby

carlaquade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral