Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/04/2008, 08:20 PM   #251
chrismhaase
Registered Member

PS the white foam is from the recent addition of the new sand and it is not normally there.

chrismhaase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2008, 09:11 PM   #252
Romeosdoom
Registered Member

Hey I've been thinking about making my refugium into a display Refugium and adding a file fish & seahorses when it matures. With the current being slower in there and the water quality improving do you think I could pull it off? Its definately big enough to do it in I think. I could add some Gorgonias too. Should I only put red gracillia and chaeto only in there? I'm thinking about adding two or three more mangroves in there too. My brineshrimp maker is kicking in too. Let me know what you think.

Romeosdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2008, 09:27 PM   #253
vt4lifecuf
Registered Member

thanks for the tips, so i need to dose it weekly? and dose kalk at night weekly also?

vt4lifecuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2008, 11:08 PM   #254
hurleycr
Registered Member

You can keep Kalk for a long time for as long as there isn't much Carbon Dioxide getting to it. The trick is to not mix it once you initally mix it and keep it covered. It has to stay settled and the crust on the top cannot be broken or the shelf life so to speak goes down quickly.

Many people use a container that is more vertical than wide and put the kalk in and mix it and let the ATO pull from it for a considerable time. The trick though is to keep the pump toward the middle to lower middle and keep the pump from sucking up slurry and/or remixing the kalk. Once the water in the container reaches full saturation remixing does little if there is no other water added. There are people who have done this apparently for extended periods of time. Though I can think of many issues that could arise from it. Mainly the pump in the container falling into the slurry and pumping your tank full of slurry. Which will kill everything just about instantly unless you are there to take immediate action. I think this method would be much safer using the litermeter and a very small pump such as the aqualifter. Some do use powerhead and the like though.

Also to note for the other major part of calcium/alk addition (Mg) I changed over to Tropic Marin Pro Salt about a year ago. It has boosted values of Calcium, and Mg for reef tanks. When I was running my other tank, I had to unhook my Calcium Reactor because it wasn't needed after the switch. I was doing bi-weekly water changes and dripping kalk on the weekends (so I could watch it, I had an accident once). Mostly I use it because of the Mg levels were always perfect. I had such a hard time keeping the Mg level up when I used Instant Ocean.

Personally I tend to think this: To much thought has to be applied for the application on my part + little experience in said setup = messed up tank!!!

With all that said, my Geo shipped today for delivery Friday

Click The Red House To see My Build Thread!!!

Current Tank Info: 220 AGA RR, ReefFlo 250 Skimmer, Korallin Calcium Reactor, PO4 Reactor, Sequence 750 Return, Bare Bottom, Vortech Pump

Last edited by hurleycr; 03/04/2008 at 11:15 PM.
hurleycr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2008, 11:09 PM   #255
hurleycr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vt4lifecuf
thanks for the tips, so i need to dose it weekly? and dose kalk at night weekly also?
Unless you have a medium to high demand for that size tank, dose at night, if you have a safe way to do so, it will help stabilze your ph swing at night.

Click The Red House To see My Build Thread!!!

Current Tank Info: 220 AGA RR, ReefFlo 250 Skimmer, Korallin Calcium Reactor, PO4 Reactor, Sequence 750 Return, Bare Bottom, Vortech Pump
hurleycr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2008, 02:03 PM   #256
forddna
Registered Member

Hey, nice setup!! I finally took the time to go through it all.

BTW, I was at Nolan's in Lakeland today, and they have a Purple Tang with the same issues that yours had. What is it? (I skimmed the thread, admittedly)

Returning to the hobby after a 5+ year hiatus

Current Tank Info: 93g Cube - Build in Progress
forddna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2008, 02:03 PM   #257
forddna
Registered Member

BTW, I was at Nolan's in Lakeland today, and they have a Purple Tang with the same issues that yours had. What is it? (I skimmed the thread, admittedly)

Returning to the hobby after a 5+ year hiatus

Current Tank Info: 93g Cube - Build in Progress
forddna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2008, 08:20 PM   #258
chrismhaase
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Romeosdoom
Hey I've been thinking about making my refugium into a display Refugium and adding a file fish & seahorses when it matures. With the current being slower in there and the water quality improving do you think I could pull it off? Its definately big enough to do it in I think. I could add some Gorgonias too. Should I only put red gracillia and chaeto only in there? I'm thinking about adding two or three more mangroves in there too. My brineshrimp maker is kicking in too. Let me know what you think.
You do not want to have any predatory type fish, ie the file fish and seahorses will eat the pods. Gorgorians I would think would be fine.

Unread 03/05/2008, 08:22 PM   #259
chrismhaase
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vt4lifecuf
I have it on a slow, constant drip. My tank normally has a ph of 7.9 w/o anything added on average, so a constant drip will bring it up to 8.2 during the days and 8.05 or so at night.

Unread 03/05/2008, 08:29 PM   #260
chrismhaase
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by forddna

It is lateral line disease. It is normally caused by poor diet, stray currents, or excessive carbon use. I have my fish on a high quality(many different types of food) and it has seemed to be the remedy in my situation. As for the stray current, you can get rid of this if you get a ground. Excessive carbon I am not sure is that much of a problem but maybe just a coincidental attribute that many people have in addition to other issues.

Main thing, FEED YOUR FISH, dont starve them. The corals like to fish poop!! Just make sure you export nutrients efficiently.

Unread 03/06/2008, 04:41 PM   #261
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

chrismhaase what are you using to heat your tank.

Current Tank Info: 110 Gallon Reef
Reeftanks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2008, 05:01 PM   #262
chrismhaase
Registered Member

Since I am in Tampa, FL I do not have to worry about heating my reef. What I am currently using is a Jager 250 watt heater. The heater along with the canopy fans is controlled by the Aqua Controller Jr that I use. That is probably one of my best investments. It is awesome.

Unread 03/06/2008, 05:02 PM   #263
chrismhaase
Registered Member

I only have one heater. I didn't clarify that earlier. I also run my fuge on a reverse light cycle so that light would have to help a touch I would imagine.

Unread 03/06/2008, 05:49 PM   #264
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

what is the temp of the tank?

Unread 03/06/2008, 06:28 PM   #265
CMcNeil
Registered Member

wow Chris i just went back a few pages and saw the purple tang looks great,also that pink stylo is awesome

Unread 03/06/2008, 06:35 PM   #266
chrismhaase
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeftanks6
what is the temp of the tank?
Min. is about 77
Max is about 79

Unread 03/06/2008, 06:37 PM   #267
chrismhaase
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CMcNeil
wow Chris i just went back a few pages and saw the purple tang looks great,also that pink stylo is awesome
Thanks man. Unfortunately the pink stylo is not looking as great as the pics when I got it. I slacked a little and the alk dropped and a section bleached out a little. The color is starting to come back though.

Unread 03/06/2008, 06:38 PM   #268
CMcNeil
Registered Member

just part if the sps game,it will come back with TLC and time.

Unread 03/06/2008, 07:00 PM   #269
chrismhaase
Registered Member

Yeah I know it just sucks because it looked awesome

Unread 03/07/2008, 05:57 AM   #270
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

Ok thanks i just cant seem to get my 90 there. MY sump is down in the basement where it is about 60-65 degrees and the tank is upstairs and is about 70. I am running two three hundred watt heaters but i just cant seem to find the problem with the temp. its staying at about 75.8. 74 during the night

Unread 03/07/2008, 08:03 AM   #271
chrismhaase
Registered Member

What if you took that AC pipe insulator that is made of the black foam. Wrap that about the pipe that is exposed, especially in the basement. It would be a cheap addition and could possibly help in the temp loss in the pipes in the basement.

Unread 03/07/2008, 08:04 AM   #272
chrismhaase
Registered Member

Where are you taking your temp reading? I would also take on in the tank as well if you are currently reading the temp. Your two temps might differ in your favor. Also, what if you added glass tops to your tank. This would trap some heat in.

Unread 03/07/2008, 08:05 AM   #273
chrismhaase
Registered Member

If you pay for shipping you can have my glass tops. I don't want or need them in FL

Unread 03/09/2008, 07:47 AM   #274
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

naa i dont think i need them right know but maybe later.

Unread 03/09/2008, 09:29 AM   #275
chrismhaase
Registered Member

Ok cool. Well let me know.