Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/06/2008, 08:20 PM   #1
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Vortech mp20 or tunze nanostreams

I have a 75 gallon reef. Changing out powerheads for flow. some lps but mostly sps. I had a hydor 3 and 4 and am selling them off for a little upgrade. I was going to go with a Two tunze nanostreams 6025 and maybe mod them out. Or maybe the vortech mp 20 as the mp 40 is just more than I am willing to part with at the moment. Any thoughts would be great. Currently running Quite one 3000 (780gph 0 head,about 500 with head) through sump/fuge. and still have the hydor 4 (1200gph) on one side of tank. I want to clean the look up a little and just wanted your opinions. is the vortech mp 20 enough? From what I have read I want to go with gen 2 pumps. well I would go with a 40 if I could get one used I guess.

mojo~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2008, 08:38 PM   #2
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

leaning more towrdas the votech

Unread 12/06/2008, 11:28 PM   #3
murraycamp
Registered Member

I had a bad experience with my Vortech. I went back to Korallias and Nanostreams. HTH

Current Tank Info: 65 gal. E. Quadricolor/A. Barberi system (VCV/inoculant); 60 gal. gorgonian/mixed scleratinian (VCV/ inoculant/solid polymers); 30 gal. Oxymonacanthus longirostris/octocoral system (VCV/inoculant); 80 gal Acropora (Zeovit); 27 gal. jellyfish system
murraycamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2008, 11:57 PM   #4
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

hmmm thanks for the input it will be the mp 20 or two 6025's

Unread 12/07/2008, 12:05 AM   #5
murraycamp
Registered Member

What about Korallia controllable? I have actually had better luck with the Koralias. JMO

Current Tank Info: 65 gal. E. Quadricolor/A. Barberi system (VCV/inoculant); 60 gal. gorgonian/mixed scleratinian (VCV/ inoculant/solid polymers); 30 gal. Oxymonacanthus longirostris/octocoral system (VCV/inoculant); 80 gal Acropora (Zeovit); 27 gal. jellyfish system
murraycamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2008, 12:32 AM   #6
opiumpipez
Registered Member

i have a 75g and i can comment on the 6025s and vortechs.

first of all, it probably matters what types of corals you will be keeping. the 6025s even with the mods wont be as effective as the vortechs (i have the mp40s). yes the 6025 are verstalie and can be directed, however, the vortechs are just as effective an no directing is neccessary.

the 6025s are pretty cheap and can be had between 45 and 70 (new or used). vortechs are obviously more expensive.
so question...is price an issue?

also, i really do not like the magnets that come with the tunzes. yes they are strong...maybe too strong.

as for aesthetics, i find the vortechs to be the most unassuming out of all three. IMO koralias are some of the ugliest and most obvious powerheards out there whereas the tunzes are a little more unassuming and the vortechs the least assuming.

btw, i have had issues with the vortechs but it was nothing that i could not fix myself and i have never had to send them out for servicing (firmware upgrade was the only time i had to send out drivers).

Vortech mp40w x 2
Eheim 1260 Return
aqua uv 15w
opiumpipez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2008, 12:34 AM   #7
Adamc1303
Registered Member

go with 2 Tunzes. I had the vortech it was loud and hard to get working properly, pluss you cant really point it in every direction like tunze nanos.

Unread 12/07/2008, 12:37 AM   #8
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

well ihave a mix reef sps and lps mostly i have a tyree leather on the far side of the tank. I could get a 6045 and a 6025 but I thought I would get the mp 20. is cost and issue , well not really but didnt want to spend more than the mp20. I am over the look of thehydors. They have worked well for me but arekinda big and no way to hide them really. still kinda mixed revies on what toget.

Unread 12/07/2008, 12:44 AM   #9
kdblove_99
Registered Member

Did not like the noise of the Vortech so i sold it and got Tunzes. Will not use any other PH again! Tunzes Baby!

kdblove_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2008, 01:13 AM   #10
opiumpipez
Registered Member

take a peek at the ecotech forums and tunze forums. hopefully youll find some good info there.

i could be in the minority...but i like to run my tank virtually silent and i cant even tell if my vortechs are even on (half power on each). seems like people have noise issues but maybe im just really lucky with my pair.

Vortech mp40w x 2
Eheim 1260 Return
aqua uv 15w
Unread 12/07/2008, 08:24 AM   #11
luv4paws2
Registered Member

I'm switching out my k3's for two 6025's. The tunze has so much cleaner look, and they are way more adjustable in direction than k's. I,ve done the basic mod on one 6025 and it's awesome, blows from one end to he other in my 4" tank. The price is great for what you get, $70 new, and can be modded up to 1200 gph. Wouldn't go with 6045 as its the same as a 6025 when modded.

Current Tank Info: 110 x-tall, 30 gal sump/fuge
luv4paws2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2008, 10:48 AM   #12
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Thanks everyone for your input. I have read the boards on the vortech. Most there would probably say get the MP 40. But as with most skimmer I have reviewed and talked to with people. If they own it is the best thing around. Glad to hear some of you have had both. Yea I read the whole forum in the 6025's and modding them. Seems like same powerhead with the mod. Only problem is voiding the warranty. Grrr. the vortech would give the cleanest look. And a guy here local has the mp 40 and has no issues. I just cant get the hydors pointed in the direction I would like. Now I have heard the nanostreams base can break pretty easy as well So i know that the each can have faults. Well I am looking at $135 for the 2x 6025 or $260 for the mp 20 shipped. <---- Had to work some majic to get a deal on that.

Unread 12/07/2008, 11:13 AM   #13
unbreakable
D:

Vortechs unless you get some controllable tunze products. Im happy with my vortechs and glad I don't have to keep purchasing new powerheads to figure out the right amount of flow. I don't find them to be a problem unless you put it at 100%. The humming from my blueline pump is annoying though.

I don't think the mp20 will be enough for the 75g though, maybe for a 40g breeder or less

Unread 12/07/2008, 11:23 AM   #14
unbreakable
D:

and as for the 6025s, ive owned and modded them. I just hate not controlling the flow and I had issues with having them start up correctly each time power went out. they will replace the c-clip free of charge for you if it breaks though.

I don't believe it voids the warranty and it's easy just to purchase the new shroud on the 6025s, the whole thing is I don't like having powerheads that project outward too much and still having a powercord in the tank leading out and over the aquarium. I would always get algae on the cord and have snails running up and down from there

the vortech, imo, is great. control the flow to your needs, cleaner look in the tank, the different settings it has, controlling things with a push of a button or turn of a small knob, wirelessly link them with each other, etc.

my sugar fine sand cant stay still with the undertow of the vortech. i do hear the humming when the motor ramps up, but it only gets annoying when its at full speed, which i wouldnt use in my 75 since its too much

a lot of people suggest using vortech and tunze together to get the best effect.

there's always someone on this board who will completely bash one or the other just because they're really picky, but i'm just giving an honest opinion on both. they're both great products and you can't go wrong with either, just get something that is controllable
hth

Unread 12/07/2008, 11:47 AM   #15
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by unbreakable
and as for the 6025s, ive owned and modded them. I just hate not controlling the flow and I had issues with having them start up correctly each time power went out. they will replace the c-clip free of charge for you if it breaks though.

I don't believe it voids the warranty and it's easy just to purchase the new shroud on the 6025s, the whole thing is I don't like having powerheads that project outward too much and still having a powercord in the tank leading out and over the aquarium. I would always get algae on the cord and have snails running up and down from there

the vortech, imo, is great. control the flow to your needs, cleaner look in the tank, the different settings it has, controlling things with a push of a button or turn of a small knob, wirelessly link them with each other, etc.

my sugar fine sand cant stay still with the undertow of the vortech. i do hear the humming when the motor ramps up, but it only gets annoying when its at full speed, which i wouldnt use in my 75 since its too much

a lot of people suggest using vortech and tunze together to get the best effect.

there's always someone on this board who will completely bash one or the other just because they're really picky, but i'm just giving an honest opinion on both. they're both great products and you can't go wrong with either, just get something that is controllable
hth
thanks for the input.

mojo~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2008, 11:54 AM   #16
Wolfgang
Registered Member

I'd say get a 6055 w/controller. It works really well! If you decide on the Vortech, go with the MP40, the 20 is really weak.
HTH!
-Wolfgang

Current Tank Info: 75 gal Reef
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2008, 11:56 AM   #17
opiumpipez
Registered Member

btw..if you break the c clips you need to request new ones from tunze. this can take up to a week so you may be without pumps for a while.

ive had to replaec my clips quite a few times.

Vortech mp40w x 2
Eheim 1260 Return
aqua uv 15w
Unread 12/07/2008, 02:30 PM   #18
anne08
Moved On

stay with vortech pump. I have 1 x mp40w gen 2 and I love it.

anne08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2008, 09:46 PM   #19
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

what about a mp20 and a 6025?

Unread 12/07/2008, 10:03 PM   #20
chem-e
Registered Member

I think the MP40W will be better fit for your sized tank. I use a MP40W with a modded 6025 for my tank and it's smaller than your 75 gal. The MP40W with 6025 works great for my setup, but I wish I could change to a 6055 instead of the 6025.

Current Tank Info: Elos [~] 70 powered by Profilux
chem-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2008, 11:12 PM   #21
adtravels
you cant buy blue fingers

I have two vortech mpw 40 on ny 60 gallon cube.
I have also had two nanostreams (modded to death) and 3 koralia threes.
I have had issues with all and am happiest with the vortechs but they do have drawbacks.
I bought a spare wetside to change over when cleaning as wellTwo of the wetsides hum when operated over 75 persent. the otherone is silent nearly all the time so there is some inconsistency with the product(no to do with my alignment skills).
I also had the wetside fall off a couple of times in the beginning much to my chagrin but the problem resolved itself.
I have the on alternating slow pulse or insync on lagoon mode at 50 to 75 percent and they are great.
I choose them for the look, space and no wires in the tanks. Plus I live in bangkok and its really hot so any heat reducing measures to assist my chiller are welcome. The controllable features are really great on the vortechs and you can really fine tune them.
One thing you wont be able to do is increase the flow if you buy the mpw 20 and it will annoy you so go for the mpw 40. Especially because most of the problems with vortechs seem to arise when they are run close to 100 percent all the time. If you run them within themselves they will be great for years.

As for the koralias they were plain ugly and the nanostreams clips kept on snapping which was very annoying plus they were not controllabe.

hope this helps

False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon 36x24x24 reef
adtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2008, 11:16 PM   #22
flyingphish
Registered Member

yes. 6025/vortech combo is the correct answer.

Unread 12/07/2008, 11:21 PM   #23
adtravels
you cant buy blue fingers

oh yeah... and I had rto remove my sand bed when the vtechs were added due to the undertow, you can get so much more from them if positione half way up the glass imo

False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon 36x24x24 reef
adtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2008, 11:42 PM   #24
Yinger
Premium Member

nm, just read you were asking about the mp20s

Last edited by Yinger; 12/07/2008 at 11:59 PM.
Yinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2008, 03:04 AM   #25
Billionzz
Registered Member

Can the 6025 be controlled by any type of controller?

Billionzz is offline   Reply With Quote