Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/16/2015, 07:54 PM   #1
jraker
Registered Member

Cool Fish on Diver's Den

im assuming you all know what divers den is.

tell me the coolest/rarest fish you have ever seen on divers den.

dont be afraid to post pics!

jraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2015, 08:07 PM   #2
Fishkeeper44
Registered Member

I really like the gem tang although 2,700 dollars. LOL.

Fishkeeper44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2015, 09:01 PM   #3
hotdogmj71
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishkeeper44 View Post
I really like the gem tang although 2,700 dollars. LOL.
What makes the tang so expensive? Is it just rare or difficult to acclimate or what?

This one is expensive I suppose because of the "deepwater" in the description. Not sure but those colors are awesome.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden...+3&ddid=272054

Unread 08/16/2015, 09:10 PM   #4
hotdogmj71
Registered Member

Saw this one a couple of weeks ago. He did not stay online for long

Unread 08/16/2015, 09:25 PM   #5
jraker
Registered Member

the gem tang is just really hard to fine

the candy basslet is deepwater, so you have to decompress it, which is hard. and its colors are very striking

thanks for the replies, these are awesome.

Unread 08/17/2015, 01:07 AM   #6
Moana
Registered Member

So I'm 99.99% sure it's photoshopped but I hope the yellow tang with the neon blue markings that used to be the divers den icon was real...if you know what I'm talking about lol

Moana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2015, 01:18 AM   #7
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraker View Post

the candy basslet is deepwater, so you have to decompress it, which is hard. and its colors are very striking

thanks for the replies, these are awesome.
The decompression isn't really what adds to the price. The deepwater itself is the issue. The deeper you go as a diver the less time you have at your target depth. So you can catch only a handful of fish before you have to go back up.

The decompression of the fish is usually done by placing the fish in a cage and bring it up in steps with waiting periods at each stop. It takes some time but isn't hard at all.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2015, 07:42 AM   #8
jraker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moana View Post
So I'm 99.99% sure it's photoshopped but I hope the yellow tang with the neon blue markings that used to be the divers den icon was real...if you know what I'm talking about lol
do you mean acanthurus coeruleus?

heres a pic: http://cdn1.arkive.org/media/23/2332...g-juvenile.jpg

Unread 08/17/2015, 11:15 AM   #9
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraker View Post
They come from Africa where they are not rare. But transportation is another matter.

Unread 08/17/2015, 11:31 AM   #10
ace_92101
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
They come from Africa where they are not rare. But transportation is another matter.
My understanding is that they're common within their range, but their range is fairly small.

ace_92101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2015, 11:35 AM   #11
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_92101 View Post
My understanding is that they're common within their range, but their range is fairly small.
Yes, that is correct.

Unread 08/17/2015, 11:37 AM   #12
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
The decompression isn't really what adds to the price. The deepwater itself is the issue. The deeper you go as a diver the less time you have at your target depth. So you can catch only a handful of fish before you have to go back up.

The decompression of the fish is usually done by placing the fish in a cage and bring it up in steps with waiting periods at each stop. It takes some time but isn't hard at all.
Yes, this is correct in both regards. Since Candy basslets are also somewhat reclusive, time at depth for the diver becomes even more of an issue. But they are spectacular looking.

Unread 08/17/2015, 12:29 PM   #13
brett559
In Memoriam

Gem tangs and zebra tangs are fun to see on there. Conspic angels go for about $3,000 usually. There was a huge shark on there for months - it kept getting cheaper and cheaper.

Cross-hatch pair would be my dream DD purchase.

brett559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2015, 07:13 PM   #14
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

There is a Gem tang and a Bandit on there now, both on sale. Conspic angels are available from time to time. Depends on what you consider rare I guess. This is one that rarely available at this size... Ted (Humaguy) purchased this little girl

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (10.7 KB, 978 views)
Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2015, 08:10 PM   #15
hotdogmj71
Registered Member

Back to the candy basslet -- once it has been decompressed, are there any special care considerations?

Pretty damsel on there tonight. Starcki Damselfish

Unread 08/17/2015, 08:26 PM   #16
Jasanden
Registered Member

Dr. Seuss soap fish is a rare expensive fish I e only seen on DD

Jasanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2015, 10:31 PM   #17
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
There is a Gem tang and a Bandit on there now, both on sale. Conspic angels are available from time to time. Depends on what you consider rare I guess. This is one that rarely available at this size... Ted (Humaguy) purchased this little girl
On sale for $2,699.99 ?!?!?!?!?
http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden...+3&ddid=274889

I remember, in Germany back in the early 2000s this fish was demanding the outrageous price of up to €500.

On top of that it is a real a$$ of a fish that will harass everything in your tank - no thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdogmj71 View Post
Back to the candy basslet -- once it has been decompressed, are there any special care considerations?

Once properly decompressed they shouldn't be problematic. Though I could imagine they prefer lower light, ideally all blue. I would also suggest to only keep it with timid and calm fish if you ever want to see it. Grammas would be ideal.

Hopefully we will soon see some Gramma dejongi in the US now that trade with Cuba is legal. And hopefully the price will come to a reasonable level soon.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2015, 11:39 PM   #18
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Saw this one a couple of weeks ago. He did not stay online for long
Saw one at my LFS yesterday

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2015, 07:23 AM   #19
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
On sale for $2,699.99 ?!?!?!?!?
http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden...+3&ddid=274889

I remember, in Germany back in the early 2000s this fish was demanding the outrageous price of up to €500.

On top of that it is a real a$$ of a fish that will harass everything in your tank - no thanks!

Once properly decompressed they shouldn't be problematic. Though I could imagine they prefer lower light, ideally all blue. I would also suggest to only keep it with timid and calm fish if you ever want to see it. Grammas would be ideal.

Hopefully we will soon see some Gramma dejongi in the US now that trade with Cuba is legal. And hopefully the price will come to a reasonable level soon.
Ha, I wasn't suggesting it was a good sale price... BlueZoo has a CB Clarion "on sale" for 4k down from 6k... Neither of which are a deal

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Unread 08/18/2015, 10:06 AM   #20
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:

Pretty damsel on there tonight. Starcki Damselfish
No, these are very easy fish to keep...although, their coloration has changed a bit over the years..they used to have more of a blue line, those collected over the past few years seem to be more purple. Beautiful little fish that almost look lit from within...I have a few in the dt and a pair in the 125 qt..there are a lot of fish and activity in both tanks and the candys do great and don't mind it at all...

Last edited by humaguy; 08/18/2015 at 10:17 AM.
humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2015, 10:15 AM   #21
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
Ha, I wasn't suggesting it was a good sale price... BlueZoo has a CB Clarion "on sale" for 4k down from 6k... Neither of which are a deal
lol, they are dreaming about that price...that is a leftover from when the cb first hit last year, Wayne got the one from dd for 5k, if it was 1 of a small number- fair price, but it was one of hundreds..that initial pricing really messed-up the marketing for these fish...I bet you can get the on from bz for much less...I still like the wc better...

The pricing for some of these fish may seem insane but when you consider when they come from- some really isolated places and from serious depths, rebreathers/closed circuits are used, then factor in transportation/cargo fees, flights, and most importantly, this is how these people make a living, it really puts things in perspective.

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2015, 02:47 PM   #22
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by humaguy View Post
lol, they are dreaming about that price...that is a leftover from when the cb first hit last year, Wayne got the one from dd for 5k, if it was 1 of a small number- fair price, but it was one of hundreds..that initial pricing really messed-up the marketing for these fish...I bet you can get the on from bz for much less...I still like the wc better...

The pricing for some of these fish may seem insane but when you consider when they come from- some really isolated places and from serious depths, rebreathers/closed circuits are used, then factor in transportation/cargo fees, flights, and most importantly, this is how these people make a living, it really puts things in perspective.
I agree and some fish are well worth their asking price no matter how insane it may seem to some. It's all about what excites you

Unread 08/18/2015, 04:19 PM   #23
brett559
In Memoriam

So aside from peppermint angels, are Clarions basically the holy grail, i.e. most rare?

brett559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2015, 05:37 PM   #24
Bongo Shrimp
P. ceratophthalma

Unread 08/18/2015, 05:40 PM   #25
Bongo Shrimp
P. ceratophthalma