Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/18/2016, 07:25 PM   #26
Willyboz1
Registered Member

Are the linkias reef safe ?

Willyboz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2016, 09:14 PM   #27
niladride
Registered Member

What i have read, they are reefsafe.

Update, from today morning I am seeing him stuck to the front glass at the highest water level.

niladride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2016, 02:48 PM   #28
niladride
Registered Member

Ok for more than 24 hrs he is hanging on the same spot, this has been an issue to feed the fishes as if I stop pump to feed, the water level will come down and he would get exposed in air. What to do now? If power cut occurs, result should be same.

Unread 09/19/2016, 09:10 PM   #29
jayball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niladride View Post
Ok for more than 24 hrs he is hanging on the same spot, this has been an issue to feed the fishes as if I stop pump to feed, the water level will come down and he would get exposed in air. What to do now? If power cut occurs, result should be same.

As far as that goes, I have never cut power to my return pump to feed. My fish seem to like to chase their meal,

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2016, 09:49 PM   #30
niladride
Registered Member

Well most food goes to sump in that case.

Unread 09/20/2016, 05:58 AM   #31
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

The food won't go in the sump if you feed small amounts at a time. Have to feed it slowly so the fish can grab it before it's washed down into the sump. If you're getting a lot of food in the sump then you're feeding too much at one time and too quickly. Slow it down a bit.

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2016, 06:45 AM   #32
niladride
Registered Member

^

Ok, in the morning I did the same way, fed for about 2 minutes, I only feed once a day, was using Eheim twin feeder a month and half back but it would dump too much food for 3fishes at that time, hence, had to stop using it.

But still, power cuts may occur resulting in the DT water level going down, in that case, the starfish would get exposed in air. I stay in office for 10 hours so it is impossible for me to monitor. Anything I can ask my parents to do?

Unread 09/20/2016, 09:37 AM   #33
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

I'm pretty sure you can adjust that feeder and even have it feed several times per day. Just need to adjust down how much food it's spreading in your tank.

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Unread 09/20/2016, 10:10 AM   #34
eciiaia
Registered Member

Got a linckia starfish and a yellow tang as gift from a fellow reefer. Any special attention / care needed for them to thrive? I read that keeping linckia is difficult, what should I do?

eciiaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2016, 02:40 AM   #35
niladride
Registered Member

^

Did not get what's the purpose of the post.

@others

Can I remove him from the glass and place him on a live rock? I will be doing some maintenance each weekend and I have to shut off pump definitely, specially during a water change.

Unread 09/22/2016, 03:24 AM   #36
niladride
Registered Member

Hi guyz,

Any solution/suggestion for my issue?

Thanks,

Unread 09/23/2016, 02:51 AM   #37
niladride
Registered Member

None has got any suggestion?

Unread 09/23/2016, 04:41 AM   #38
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

Why don't you think that your question has been answered? I see that it has several times.

Without owning a 6' 150 gal or larger 180 gal tank that is mature your starfish will die more than likely and if you don't have that size tank you need to re-home the yellow tang!

Since your signature says "no tank now" why are you asking all of these questions? If you have a tank post it's dimensions in your signature please!

Unread 09/23/2016, 06:00 AM   #39
niladride
Registered Member

Missed the tank information part in signature. Will put that. Thanks for pointing out.

No need to be rude. I asked regarding putting the starfish on any rock from the front glass as this is making the situation impossible to shut off pump. I will try to make him live, we need encouragement ad much as possible.

For the time being, my tank is 4.5 * 2 * 1.5 cubic feet L W H. Sump is of 4 1.5 1 Cubic feet.

Unread 09/23/2016, 06:14 AM   #40
niladride
Registered Member

For yellow tang minimum requirement 100 gallon 5 feeter, mine is 6 inches short. Water volume is more. This is not enough is it?

Unread 09/24/2016, 04:53 PM   #41
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

There is a big difference between being rude and being blunt. I was being blunt. IF you decide to keep the starfish leave it alone to do what it wants. The same advice goes for anemones.

Personally I would sell or trade both of them in for other critters more in line with your tank size.

Unread 09/25/2016, 10:15 AM   #42
misties
Registered Member

For the starfish, he was on the sand yesterday night, today I saw him beside a rock early morning, near noon, he was found behind that small rock, I was able to see one or two legs moving very gently. Is it normal behavior?

misties is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2016, 04:36 PM   #43
niladride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkuhlmann View Post
There is a big difference between being rude and being blunt. I was being blunt. IF you decide to keep the starfish leave it alone to do what it wants. The same advice goes for anemones.

Personally I would sell or trade both of them in for other critters more in line with your tank size.
Well the starfish has started grazing on lr from yesterday morning. I will try to remove him but selling or trading stuff here is not bread and butter as is in your country. How long I have?

Regarding the tang, according to live aquaria and reefcentral itself, I pretty much meet requirements hence I wish to keep it.

Thanks for being blunt though.

Unread 09/25/2016, 04:37 PM   #44
niladride
Registered Member

Oh. And I don't have any anemone.

Unread 09/25/2016, 04:46 PM   #45
niladride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misties View Post
For the starfish, he was on the sand yesterday night, today I saw him beside a rock early morning, near noon, he was found behind that small rock, I was able to see one or two legs moving very gently. Is it normal behavior?
What's your issue man? Why are you copy/pasting my posts??

Unread 09/25/2016, 06:50 PM   #46
CStrickland
Registered Member

As you read linckia are difficult to keep, but it isn't because you need to do any special thing to keep them. Rather, they seem to need things that our tanks cannot provide. Lots and lots of them are purchased and die because they simply do not thrive in our tanks. Think of it as a wild animal that just doesn't domesticate well.

My buddy's dad found a nest of raccoons in the attic once and decided they would be his pets. He fed them, and gave water and everything was fine for like 2 months. Then one day the mom went crazy, ate her babies and attacked him when he tried to stop her. You just can't give a cute fuzzy racoon a soft bed and some kibble and expect it to act like a house cat. You can't just put a starfish or tang in a little tank and have it thrive, no matter what extra measures you're willing to take. It's important to research an animals needs before you trap it in your home, whether it's a racoon or a fish.

That being said, you've got them now and it sounds like it will be tricky to rehome them in your country. Here's an article about starfish http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/5/inverts Basically, your best tack is to leave it alone and hope for the best. Maybe put a little food near it and see if it hunts it. The more you bother them the worse it will be. It's good that it is hiding from the light, and it will either find food in your tank or it won't.

Figure out some way to feed without the water level changing, and hope the power doesn't go out I guess. Try googling a "diy feeder ring for eheim" to get the food to sink instead of float across the surface.

For the tang I would also keep a close eye on the other fish. Your tank is a little too small for a yellow tang, and a lot too small for a tang, a fox face, a clown, and a blue devil to share.

Current Tank Info: 3/2016 upgrade to 120g. Chalk bass, melanurus, firefish, starry blenny, canary blenny, lyretail anthias, engineer gobys, kole tang. Softies / LPS / NPS. <3 noob4life <3
CStrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2016, 11:17 PM   #47
niladride
Registered Member

^

Thanks for replying. I am keeping close eyes on them. I think they would take time to mature, foxface is just 4 inches and tang 2.5-3 inches. I do not want to give them away so I might go for a bigger tank in next couple of years. I have got the space.

Btw, I did not know about the starfish being so delicate before, now, either I have to give it for free to a seller, or I do not have any known friend who has 6 feet reef to support the starfish. He is only 2 inches in diameter right now, I hope I have some time.

I have seen him grazing on the lr from Saturday. I am also hoping for the best, and yes, I know that some fishes, pets should be best to leave in the nature itself. But this happened accidentally and the guy who gave him to me never said anything complicated about him. If I bring him to some seller, he will keep him in a bare bottom tank with just water for sale to another person, that would be worse I guess.

Unread 09/25/2016, 11:23 PM   #48
niladride
Registered Member

Well regarding tang, as I my tank is 4.5 feet in length and 2 feet wide, also, I have kept a lot of open swimming space, tank capacity 110 gallons for the display and 40 gallons for sump, I thought the tang should be ok. Anyway, that said, I would never want any of my pets feeling stressed.

Unread 09/26/2016, 12:06 PM   #49
niladride
Registered Member

You are the only person I find to say that.

Unread 09/26/2016, 12:15 PM   #50
eder10986
Registered Member

We've had two with no luck. Gave up. Good luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eder10986 is offline   Reply With Quote