Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/05/2009, 12:42 PM   #26
jenglish
Marquis de Carabas

Quote:
Originally posted by WaterKeeper
Darn Paul.

We are getting to compatible in our old age. I love Northern Italian pasta with seafood in white sauce.
Don't worry, you guys can still argue about what kind of clams to use!

“Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse" Pierre-Simon Laplace

I should want to cook him a simple meal, but I shouldn't want to cut into him, to tear the flesh, to wear the flesh, to be born unto new worlds where his flesh becomes my key.

Current Tank Info: broken and dry
jenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2009, 12:43 PM   #27
Paul B
Premium Member

I even made it on the boat last week. As soon as I saw the boat had a stove I said now let me see. What could I cook?
Linguini and clams is always my first choice.
Tom, maybe you have some Northern Italian in you somewhere.

I am all Sicilian but being born in Brooklyn probably helped tune my seafood eating habits along with a family that always owned seafood businesses

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2009, 02:58 AM   #28
terri_ann
Registered Member

You guys are just crazy...and I love it! Was just checking out the bio's at RK magazine...no wonder my head spins trying to learn about saltwater, reefs, fish, equipment, DIY and everything else....PhD's, MD's, chemists, biologists...I'm just..well, a NEWBIE! I know a little about that weed killer (AO) and life sentence, Tom :-) Thanks for having this forum...I NEED IT! I've checked out several of the other RC forums too and they look really good also! So much to read and learn....I guess I'll just have to give some things up like cleaning, laundry, cooking...:-)!!

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed 40B Anemone 5' raceway frag tank
terri_ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2009, 04:14 AM   #29
Paul B
Premium Member

Quote:
....PhD's, MD's, chemists, biologists...
Yes and I am an electrician with a UG filter, very impressive huh

And I don't even get a bio in the magazine. The guy who sweeps the floor even has a bio.

Unread 09/08/2009, 06:55 AM   #30
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

We have boat captains that write articles too. I thought your bio was in the mag Paul. Write one and I'll get in published.

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29
WaterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2009, 08:20 AM   #31
Paul B
Premium Member

Quote:
We have boat captains that write articles too. I thought your bio was in the mag Paul. Write one and I'll get in published
It would be entirely too long as I would make most of it up anyway.

Let me see, I was born on a snowy night in a log cabin.......

Unread 09/08/2009, 03:01 PM   #32
terri_ann
Registered Member

Write that bio Paul, even if you pad it a little :-O I'll be waiting......

Unread 09/08/2009, 03:52 PM   #33
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Yes, I'm a captive fan. I'm dying to be shown at last you're not just any man.

Tom

Last edited by WaterKeeper; 09/08/2009 at 04:01 PM.
Unread 09/08/2009, 03:52 PM   #34
Paul B
Premium Member

Here everything you want to know and then some. A member of Northern Valley Reefers wrote this after I spoke there in California.
I had a really good time, but my bio is no where near as impressive as Waterkeeper, retired anylitical chemist (whatever that is

http://www.oceanathome.com/paul-baldassano-nv/

Unread 09/08/2009, 04:06 PM   #35
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Here's mine http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....anded&start=20 but you need to scroll Way down.

Tom

Unread 09/08/2009, 06:49 PM   #36
Paul B
Premium Member

Yes I read yours and I was impressed how accurate it is

Unread 09/08/2009, 07:40 PM   #37
terri_ann
Registered Member

OK guys, before I go to the bio's.....Wanted to update you that a DI, phosphate reactor, PSI guage and several other necessities are in shipment to me...over $700....YIKES! And I'm just beginning?? Anyways, I'm wanting to know what order you think I should go on my next purchases...should I buy the live rock or detritivore kit first? Since I have no space in my sump or room for a fuge, and I need a quar'tn tank, more sand, etc,-could I use a 30g and seed it with the det kit? What I have found from inland aqu'tics, the kit seeds a 55g tank. If I had the 30g, would one kit mature enough to provide my 135? Thanks!

Unread 09/08/2009, 09:10 PM   #38
jenglish
Marquis de Carabas

Yes, a IA kit will mature to fill a larger tank provided you let it fill out before you add predation for any of the critters. I had a IA det kit in a tank years ago. Most of the stuff I bought in that kit I have in my new tank now w/o buying one. You generally end up with pods and bristle worms just from a few pieces of LR. THe only thing I can think of I don't have is micro-stars. I might buy some LR, watch it at night and decide if you want to spend the money on the kit or not. I'm not trying to hurt IA sales, but it may be an un-needed expense for you.

I should want to cook him a simple meal, but I shouldn't want to cut into him, to tear the flesh, to wear the flesh, to be born unto new worlds where his flesh becomes my key.

Unread 09/08/2009, 09:12 PM   #39
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by terri_ann
OK guys, before I go to the bio's.....Wanted to update you that a DI, phosphate reactor, PSI guage and several other necessities are in shipment to me...over $700....YIKES! And I'm just beginning?? Anyways, I'm wanting to know what order you think I should go on my next purchases...should I buy the live rock or detritivore kit first? Since I have no space in my sump or room for a fuge, and I need a quar'tn tank, more sand, etc,-could I use a 30g and seed it with the det kit? What I have found from inland aqu'tics, the kit seeds a 55g tank. If I had the 30g, would one kit mature enough to provide my 135? Thanks!
buy good quality live rock--it is the basis for the biological filtration of your tank.
a detrivoure kit--is that inverts? If so your live rock should go in first and then wait a few weeks for the bacteria on it to cycle---finally add your inverts

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2009, 09:14 PM   #40
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul B
Here everything you want to know and then some. A member of Northern Valley Reefers wrote this after I spoke there in California.
I had a really good time, but my bio is no where near as impressive as Waterkeeper, retired anylitical chemist (whatever that is

http://www.oceanathome.com/paul-baldassano-nv/
I don't know what an anylitical chemist is either but I have a good idea what an analytical one is

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 09/08/2009, 09:19 PM   #41
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul B
Yes I read yours and I was impressed how accurate it is
Wow I have not played that game since I was a teenager---I'll show you mine if you show me yours
aka spin the biographical bs bottle

Unread 09/08/2009, 09:34 PM   #42
jenglish
Marquis de Carabas

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
buy good quality live rock--it is the basis for the biological filtration of your tank.
a detrivoure kit--is that inverts? If so your live rock should go in first and then wait a few weeks for the bacteria on it to cycle---finally add your inverts
http://www.inlandaquatics.com/prod/prod_detrit.html

Unread 09/08/2009, 09:38 PM   #43
Aquarist007
Registered Member

thanks for the link---IMO you still don't need to buy this kit. One cup of sand from an established tank will seed your sand bed just fine. Spend the money on quality live rock.

Unread 09/08/2009, 09:46 PM   #44
terri_ann
Registered Member

The detritivore kit has mysis & gammarus shrimp, amphi & copepods, mini brittle stars amd baby bristle worms. I have had no luck in finding GOOD LR near me :-( I'm afraid to order it not knowing the quality of the rock and how much die-off it would incur getting to central Iowa!

Unread 09/08/2009, 09:47 PM   #45
jenglish
Marquis de Carabas

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
thanks for the link---IMO you still don't need to buy this kit. One cup of sand from an established tank will seed your sand bed just fine. Spend the money on quality live rock.
Check your local reef club as well. I am always willing to trade a few cups of dry sand for some of my live and pick out a few fat bristles as well. Most reefers are always up to help someone get started. Honestly I think pods and bristles are the most important part of that kit and will likely come with any live rock you get.

Unread 09/08/2009, 09:55 PM   #46
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by terri_ann
The detritivore kit has mysis & gammarus shrimp, amphi & copepods, mini brittle stars amd baby bristle worms. I have had no luck in finding GOOD LR near me :-( I'm afraid to order it not knowing the quality of the rock and how much die-off it would incur getting to central Iowa!
If that is the case then you buy the rock on line and let it cure longer in your tank if just starting up. Keep track of your ammonia and nitrates as you would with live rock. It will cure and the bacteria will cycle---it will just take longer.

Unread 09/08/2009, 10:55 PM   #47
terri_ann
Registered Member

Thanks Jer and Cap. I finally located a reef club...found it online so am checking it out...wish me luck! I have had my tank running over a year w/ 9 fish. Have put a few pieces of live rock in it over course of time but have not seen any critters(using flashlight at night, too!) or coraline growth. Water param's and lighting w/in specs...just been frustrating to get tank where it needs to be w/ LS, LR, coralline and critters!

Unread 09/09/2009, 05:18 AM   #48
Paul B
Premium Member

Quote:
I don't know what an anylitical chemist is either but I have a good idea what an analytical one is
OK so I didn't go to college. I am actually proud of that fact.
(I still don't know what an anylitical chemist is and I still can't spell it.)

Quote:
Wanted to update you that a DI, phosphate reactor, PSI guage and several other necessities are in shipment to me...over $700....YIKES! And I'm just beginning?? Anyways, I'm wanting to know what order you think I should go on my next purchases...
Terri, don't go crazy over all this stuff or you will go broke. Most of the stuff you will see mentioned associated with this hobby is not needed. Knowlege of the inhabitants is much more important than technical devices. Of course they will not hurt but things like rock, which houses the bacteria is the most important aspect for a reef and is basically all you need besides a skimmer.
You can even listen to Waterkeeper if you like
Have fun
Paul

Unread 09/09/2009, 06:21 PM   #49
terri_ann
Registered Member

Thumbs up Hubby wants another Boat!

Thanks Paul!

I respect your opinions (and Waterkeeper's...hope that doesn't go to his head though :-)...).Hubby put my phospate reactor together tonight. When he saw it, the dual DI, 2 dual TDS meters, etc(-etc!), he said he wanted another boat!! He has 3 now so I don't know where that came from...our "toys". He has a bass boat, river boat and duck boat so I don't know what his new one he's wanting is for...and I didn't ask!

I'm just trying to focus on good water quality right now; got to get the TDS, phosphates and nitrates down so I don't get a huge algae problem. I got a couple responses from IA reef club members about 29g quarantine tank, LR and LS!! So tonight I'm feeling a little better! Need to get those "critters" and rock for the water quality One of the guy's is heading off to Iraq so is selling...hope I can help him out! HAVE TO RESPECT our Servicemen AND VETERANS!!!!!

Unread 09/09/2009, 06:27 PM   #50
terri_ann
Registered Member

Talking PS Paul

College is fine but not 'all inclusive'. EXPERIENCE has my vote!! I just happen to be able to spell...usually :-)