Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/26/2010, 09:52 PM   #51
shackscs
Super Premier Member

I would rather build one. My electronics skills were no existant until I built my own protoboard for my Arduino.

Since then I have soldered my LED fixture and my very own working led driver thanks to a design by DWZM.

I think the fear of most people is if it is something that has never been done before. But after getting your first board of any sort up and running, that fear fades rather quickly.

Sign me up. Time does not allow me to do the Hydra controller but this is something that will be easy to put into my current LED system.

Put me down for a proto board when they come available.

shackscs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2010, 01:23 PM   #52
clittrell
Registered Member

I am also interested in this project. I am trying to wrap my head around how I want to fix my controller need. I would love to know enough to build a hydra but I do not think that can be my first project. I am hoping that a project like this might get me hooked so that one day I could attempt a hydra scale implementation since in the end that is what I want.

Keep up all the great work and I will keep reading!

clittrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2010, 02:22 PM   #53
Neogenocide
Registered Member

Der,

Have you made any progress on this?

Thanks,

Scott

Neogenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2010, 02:41 PM   #54
Medicoles
Registered Member

hmm....very interesting.

Medicoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2010, 08:41 PM   #55
Neogenocide
Registered Member

Der,

Any chance your going to pick back up with this project? I know you had some stuff go on, and your now back on your tank build, but would really like to see this one finished up at some point.

Thanks,

Scott

Unread 06/25/2010, 06:52 AM   #56
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Sorry guys, been sidetracked. Project definitely not dropped, just on hold. I have all the parts, just need to build, program, test, etc.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2010, 08:44 AM   #57
jmik26
Registered Member

I'm still in and fighting my way through it when I get time. ... Jeff

jmik26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2010, 08:49 AM   #58
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

I should have the dimming shield, and RTC playing nicely here in a while... I have a 16x2 LCD, but that's beyond me for now...

Current Tank Info: 210 AGA RR, Apex, 3x Kessil A360W & 2x 80W T5s, GEO 618 Ca Rx, BM220 CS2 skimmer, Tunze 6100s, 42" ETSS/AE Tech refugium/sump
hllywd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2010, 07:53 AM   #59
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Well, the first prototype has come and gone. Several small tweaks done, and Rev 2 is getting sent to a board house very soon. Hopefully it'll be public-ready soon. (As soon as you can expect with a 3-week turnaround for making the boards!)

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
Unread 07/16/2010, 08:01 AM   #60
Neogenocide
Registered Member

Awesome news!!!!! If you need any testers....I'll volunteer to be first in line.

Scott

Unread 07/16/2010, 08:05 AM   #61
RichConley
Registered Member

Hey DWZM, (great name, btw),

Any chance I could get you to break out the ethernet part of the schematic? I'm trying to follow along with a Duemilanove, and I'm having a tough time figuring out the wiring (or just point me to a schematic for the chip).

I'll probably end up buying one of your boards when you get it completely finished and use the current Arduino for something else, but adding ethernet to things for cheap is pretty useful

Unread 07/16/2010, 08:05 AM   #62
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

You beat me to it Scott...

Current Tank Info: 210 AGA RR, Apex, 3x Kessil A360W & 2x 80W T5s, GEO 618 Ca Rx, BM220 CS2 skimmer, Tunze 6100s, 42" ETSS/AE Tech refugium/sump
hllywd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2010, 08:28 AM   #63
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Rich,

Maybe you were thinking of the Hydra, which includes the Ethernet interface? The project I'm talking about in this thread has no Ethernet capability. It's meant to be an all-in-one barebones controller for a few banks of LEDs. At any rate, the Ethernet interface I put on the Hydra is more or less a blatant ripoff of any of the open source Arduino-targeted Ethernet interfaces based on the ENC chip. This page has a schematic:

http://www.nuelectronics.com/estore/...ge=project_eth

Since the design is more or less final at this point, a quick review of included functionality:

-Socket for AVR, i.e. the ATMega328 used in the current Duemilanove, but you could probably do fine with a 168 or even an 8.
-Header for programming with an FTDI breakout board. This is the one hitch I haven't really solved. People will need to get their hands on an FTDI USB interface. You can buy them for $10 - $20 and IMHO everyone should have one anyways.
-Header for an LCD. I designed the board to bolt to the back of a 2x16 LCD such that the header and standoffs all line up, and the buttons stick out from the bottom edge of the LCD. But you could use just about any standard LCD.
-Header for 4 LED control channels, at either 10v (for meanwells) or 5v (for buckpucks, DIY drivers, etc.)
-I2C header in case you want SOME expansion
-Onboard RTC for timekeeping
-Onboard 10v and 5v voltage regulators
-4 buttons (labeled menu, select, +, -) to provide a UI for adjusting on/off times, setting the RTC, dimming, etc.

Basically, I did this design because of the constant stream of people asking about running ELNs or other drivers from an Arduino. If you want to do it from a standard Arduino and have a typical level of functionality, you need to buy an Arduino, RTC, some sort of voltage conversion circuit, an LCD, buttons, etc. and then get them all working together. The only real difference with this approach is that the PCB is laid out to include all that by default, so there's no mucking about. It's a little more of a black box - just build it, upload software, and plug the drivers in. Maybe not a worthwhile difference for people who like to muck about, but after explaining the wiring of an RTC, or voltage conversion, the umpteenth time in PMs or email, I thought this might be a nice option for some people.

I'll definitely want some people as beta testers once this batch of boards arrives, I'll let you guys know.

Unread 07/16/2010, 08:38 AM   #64
djneedledamage
Moved On

beta tester #1

djneedledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2010, 09:59 AM   #65
tahiriqbal
Sialkot

Great work DWZM... I hope it pays off, all the work you have done to help the fellow reefers. Nice one....

Tahir

Current Tank Info: 56cm x 56cm x 56cm
tahiriqbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2010, 10:09 AM   #66
RichConley
Registered Member

I'm tracking too many of your threads DWZM. I though I WAS in the hydra thread.

I have plenty of projects that the Arduino could probably handle, so I may be buying this board too...

Thanks for the info.

EDIT:
Question: You can pop the ATMEGA out of the board, correct? So if I buy your board for this, I can use my Arduino to program the chip, correct?

Unread 07/16/2010, 10:16 AM   #67
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Yes, the DIP-package AVRs can be swapped from board to board, so you can bootload or program on one board and then stick it in another board. This is assuming you put a socket on the new board instead of soldering it in of course! Which is basically standard practice for DIP-based Arduino clones.

Though, honestly, I don't like swapping the chips. Most sockets are tight enough that it's hard to not bend pins. A better idea might be to hack your Arduino so you can use the FTDI chip on it to program AVRs on other boards, or just spend on an FTDI cable or breakout. Or, get a $2 phone data cable off eBay and hack that. The only difficulty there is getting drivers - the FTDI drivers are easy to find (or already on your computer), some of the phone cable USB-UART interface drivers are harder to find, and you have to hack the cable! Unfortunately, the FTDI chip is a reasonably small pitch SMT package, which scares off people from DIY'ing it (and is the main reason why I didn't include it in this project, which I wanted to be all easy-to-solder parts).

Unread 07/19/2010, 12:51 AM   #68
180galreefer
Registered Member

Oh boy..... Can't wait to see what you are able to do. This sounds like it's exactly what I want to do.

What IC are you using that gets programmed? Once you get the code written how do you program the controller? Would a PIC programmer work?

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon In-Wall, 75 gal. Sump
180galreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2010, 07:28 AM   #69
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

180gal, this effort is essentially a clone of the open-source Arduino project:

www.arduino.cc

That means I'm borrowing the core hardware (an Atmel AVR processor) and the software development tools. The software AND hardware are both open, which means efforts like this that "steal" from the project are encouraged. I'm releasing this project under the same Creative Commons license that the Arduino is released under, which means anyone is free to use, copy, or modify this design, too.

By default, Arduino uses the ATMega328 processor. The processor is typically purchased with a bootloader pre-programmed from an Arduino-friendly vendor (i.e. you don't want to go buy a "blank" IC from Mouser or Digi-key). The bootloader works by listening over the serial port on the chip at startup for new code from the PC. If it's getting a signal from the PC, it writes the code it receives over the program currently on the chip. So, the only "programmer" you need is a dongle or breakout board to translate from the TTL-level serial port on the AVR to something the computer can understand. The most common approach to solving that problem is a USB-UART chip, such as the FTDI FT232R. That chip comes on the board when you buy the current Arduino reference design (called Duemilanove). For this project, I've chosen to not include it on the PCB, so you'll need an "FTDI cable" or an FT232RL breakout board. These can be had for $10 - $20, so it's not a big deal.

It's likely that your PIC programmer won't work in this case. But of course you could design something like this for use with a PIC processor and then you'd be able to use your programmer, though that would lock you in to the closed-source PIC toolchain and license restrictions.

To give people an idea of the cost of this project, it'll probably look something like this, assuming you are starting from scratch (i.e. don't have a Duemilanove to borrow the USB-UART function from):

1) FTDI breakout: $10 - $20 (or be brave and hack a $2 cell phone data cable)
2) PCB and parts to build this controller: $30 - $40
3) LCD: $5 - $10

If you already have an FTDI cable or breakout, of course you can use that. Or if you have a Duemilanove or other Arduino with an FT232R onboard, you can (non-permanently) hack it to "borrow" the FTDI chip.

Unread 07/19/2010, 07:45 AM   #70
jgrog76
Registered Member

For those who may not want to build it, Reefangel has an arduino controller that you can purchase already put together. If you were running LED only the pwm is built into the controller board. I think it is about $100 for the controller only with no probes or relay box.

jgrog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2010, 08:00 AM   #71
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

That's a very nice product but (IMHO at least) aimed at a very different set of functional requirements. More along the lines of the Hydra project.

Edit - to be clear, PWM functionality is built in to every Arduino, by default. The "problem" is that it's PWM at whatever voltage you're running the AVR, typically 5v. Meanwhile, many LED drivers (i.e. ELNs) require 10v signals. It looks like the Reef Angel controller has an optional module that converts 5v to 10v for this purpose.

Unread 07/19/2010, 08:25 AM   #72
jgrog76
Registered Member

It has both 5v and 12v on the board. As to what goes where I do not know. You are right that it does control more than a pwm and timer signals. But it could be a good system for those who want to start small and then go the full controller route. I don't use it for the LED's, but it does have the ability to set the max % of current, and it will rampup and down the pwm signal to simulate sunset sunrise, and also moonlights using only the blues.

jgrog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2010, 11:39 AM   #73
180galreefer
Registered Member

Using the Arduino, I see it has 6 PWM inputs (sorry der_wille_zur_macht I just asked you that in the PM) If I have 8 meanwells to run, can I combine two into one PWM input?

Unread 07/19/2010, 11:42 AM   #74
TheFishMan65
Registered Member

The PWMs are outputs from the Arduino and inputs to the meanwells. Yes you can combine 2 without a problem.

TheFishMan65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2010, 11:46 AM   #75
180galreefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFishMan65 View Post
The PWMs are outputs from the Arduino and inputs to the meanwells. Yes you can combine 2 without a problem.
Ahhhh haha....or should I just go with the Arduino mega and not combine them at all? Can I still use the mega for solely running leds?