Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/09/2018, 10:35 AM   #1
nodak
Registered Member

Bubble algae removal

Need some advice. I have several pieces of LR in my frag tank that are now covered with bubble algae. Was wondering if it safe to just pull the rock scrub off the algae and spray with hydrogen peroxide. I know this works with different algae but will this help control future outbreaks?

nodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2018, 11:09 PM   #2
Natereef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodak View Post
Need some advice. I have several pieces of LR in my frag tank that are now covered with bubble algae. Was wondering if it safe to just pull the rock scrub off the algae and spray with hydrogen peroxide. I know this works with different algae but will this help control future outbreaks?
If its not too much then just pluck em out with tweezers.

Natereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2018, 01:56 PM   #3
jlmawp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natereef View Post
If its not too much then just pluck em out with tweezers.
I did this when I had a bit of an outbreak. I was careful not to pop too many of them as I removed them. After removal under a light outside the tank, I dipped the rocks into new saltwater to rinse off any remnant "juices". That water was disposed of, obviously. I still get some here and there like everyone else, but that removal method worked surprisingly well.

jlmawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2018, 02:19 PM   #4
Xandernfs
Registered Member

I've watched my emerald crab eat mine.

Xandernfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2018, 07:17 PM   #5
Reincarnate
Registered Member

I'm not sure how often you do water changes, but before you do so manually remove as much as you can. You can get rid of these bubbles MUCH faster than they can reproduce. Staying ahead of them is key. GL.

Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2018, 08:52 AM   #6
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

Manual removal works best if you can remove the rock and rinse it after plucking them off, then return. Helps to keep the spores from escaping IMO. This and adding a few Emerald crabs. I rarely find bubbles anymore.
I started an algae scrubber a few months ago too. I’m not sure if it helped this particular issue, but it has slowly improved my other algae troubles.

reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2019, 06:17 PM   #7
David MC Lee
Registered Member

My purple tang would eat mine.

David MC Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2019, 08:19 AM   #8
Green Chromis
Registered Member

Vibrant works really well on Bubble Algae as well, no need to remove the rock. Try it you will like the results, but it will take a few months for it to work.

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Carribean Reef System, ETSS Protein Skimmer, 1.5HP Tradewinds Chiller, Reef Breeders Photon V2+ LED Lighting For The Refugium, Mitra LX7206 LED Lights For Display Tank
Green Chromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2019, 11:03 AM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodak View Post
Yes you can totally scrub/soak in peroxide for a fast solution

Vibrant also works very well but can take weeks/months to slowly rid the tank of it..

Unread 01/20/2019, 11:13 AM   #10
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Yes you can totally scrub/soak in peroxide for a fast solution

Vibrant also works very well but can take weeks/months to slowly rid the tank of it..
I tried manual removal in my 120DT, but despite my best efforts couldn't get on top of it. As a last resort, I started dosing Vibrant at 2x suggested amount (I don't like dosing mystery stuff) and saw no difference for several weeks, and then it just started turning white and going away. I'm now about 1 year BA free, and continue to dose (at 1x) about monthly as insurance.

If it's on easily removable rocks, take them out, scrub them off, and drench them in H2O2 for about 10 minutes then dip in clean saltwater before returning them to your tank.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2019, 04:07 PM   #11
ChronicReefH2o
Registered Member

Best thing to do is to remove as much BBA as you can and get "Female" emerald crabs to do the clean up. In a week or so (or if you spot more sooner) I would get in there and pull as much as I could out. This will help reduce the amount of BBA you have in the tank.

ChronicReefH2o is offline   Reply With Quote