Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/11/2018, 12:24 PM   #1
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Stocking List and Order questions

Tank 150 gal DT (5'), 35 gal Sump/Refugium

Planned Stocking list:

2 clowns (in DT)
1 royal gramma (in TTM)

1 purple firefish
1 goby
2 leopard wrasse (6 months in)
1 yellow tang
1 tomini tang
1 foxface
1 green mandarin dragonet (at least 1 year in)

How does this look? And is there a bad order for adding any of these other than time (dragonet)? Should I add the tangs last, but together? Can I put the foxface in at anytime?
Any peaceful recommendations that would go well with this list?

*As a side question on CUC. What's a good sub surface sand cleaner/sifter?
I currently have - 2 trochus snails, 1 nessarius, 1 blue tuxedo urchin, 1 sand sifting conch in the CUC and they seem to be keeping up with things so far other than the subsurface.
My sand bed is at least 2", 3" in some spots (macrorocks sand). Would a sea cucumber (tiger tail) be a good add?

Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2018, 12:40 PM   #2
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Good balanced list, tangs in together and last.
Can't help with the CUC as I use nothing but snails, combined with weekly water changes of >5 TDS water, made, mixed and used each week.
So I have no job for a CUC, I found them troublesome....some people love them.....some people just put them in there DT cause someone told them to, not really required if you keep your water perfect.
No nuisance algae at all.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2018, 12:56 PM   #3
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Thanks. So far keeping it simple with the CUC. That BTU has a lot of character and has eaten about everything above ground including the molting from a cleaner shrimp.

I just see a lot of brown build up in the subsurface, so I'm thinking it's about time to get a dedicated subsurface invert.

I'm thinking purple firefish next and then the foxface (unless it should be after the wrasses).

Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 11:10 AM   #4
scooter31707
Registered Member

There is a possibility that an established Goby could harass the mandarin dragonet upon introduction. Do have a lot of fish that can eat and take away from the pods population, less food for the mandarin. Something to think about.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 11:30 AM   #5
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornbreaker View Post
Thanks. So far keeping it simple with the CUC. That BTU has a lot of character and has eaten about everything above ground including the molting from a cleaner shrimp.

I just see a lot of brown build up in the subsurface, so I'm thinking it's about time to get a dedicated subsurface invert.

I'm thinking purple firefish next and then the foxface (unless it should be after the wrasses).
Nassarius snails, at least 1/2" are great sand stirrers.
When water chemistry stabilizes and your export critter population matches your need level, all this will go away provided frequent water changes with <5 TDS RODI water is maintained.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote